• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Wii U

Will you be getting a Wii U?

• Yes, at launch

Votes: 2 6.7%
  • Yes, but not at launch

Votes: 6 20.0%
  • Undecided

Votes: 8 26.7%
  • No

Votes: 14 46.7%

• Total voters

Stelios

TS Member
Favourite Ride
Nemesis
So it's under a week to go until Nintendo's latest machine the Wii U hits stores and I being the secret Nintendo fanboy myself and psyhced, but also worried for it soon to be outpowered by the next gen specs for 720/PS4. But here is simply a poll that is a Wii U survey, the Wii U in general can be discussed in the Nintendo topic which I've linked below.

http://www.towersstreet.com/talk/box-office/the-nintendo-topic/

Apparently more powerful then the PS3 by a bit. But due to the new nature of the console, dev's have not yet found a way to unlock that power efficiently, while the well trodden path of the Xbox and PS3 provide dev's with solutions to unlock the most potential out of the console.

As it stands at the moment the specs from a technical standpoint the Wii U is the highest. But from a realistic standpoint, the Wii U is only mildly more powerful then an Xbox, and the PS3 is more powerful then the Wii U.

By the time the potential of the console is unlocking, the Wii U will be more powerful then the ps3 but Xbox will most likely be close to releasing their new gen console. Why Nintendo why? You could of made a stunning machine, but you chose an underpowered console yet again.

The same thing will happen again, people will buy the Wii U for the gimmick, just like people bought the wii, kinect and move, and it will barely been used, except by diehard nintendo fans who must play the exclusives, although Nintendo have gone back to the more serious gamer roots as well as the casual market, the wii has given Nintendo a sort of stigma of a casual gaming device and customers and dev's will most likely treat it as such initially, until decent evidence suggests otherwise.

I'm surprised by the lack of Bluray as well, it doesn't bother me as such, but could be a selling point to others.

Now I have gone through my negative points of the system, I will go to my pro points,

It looks like a decent system, I think the controller is a brilliant idea in fact. The main problem I have with console games and PC ports is the HUD console games require. Often a menu and HUD have to be built to accommodative being far from the screen and sitting on a sofa, simplifying descriptions and making a menu that is very awkward to traverse, but best you can do with a controller. The Wii did make this better to some extent by using the wii-mote in an almost mouse like way... this did strain your wrists though! The screen on the wii-U is a brilliant idea, and it may be a very good solution to menu's in games that require good inventory management ext.

They also seem to be supporting indie devs in the console store which is great! Although I haven't much into this, only heard bits hear and there. I know the Xbox is awful for indie dev's to update their games as they only get the first patch/update for free, from then on to update their games it can cost them I think 10 grand.... not good for customers if there is a bug that needs fixing and a company cannot afford that fee.

But yes overall I think the Wii U is a decent console, but in my opinion it should of been made slightly more powerful to stand even a remote chance with the eventual next gen consoles. Once they come out I feel as if they will just sweep the Wii U under the rug, shame to be honest, Nintendo is probably the least tyrannous of the three console companies. The price seems right though, and if I had a decent source of income I may very well think about purchasing one eventually, once I hear more game related news from it.

Thus concludes my rather ranty reply, I may be wrong all of this was news I remember from the top of my head! :p

You are the Nintendo fan so feel free to correct me if some info is lacking.

Does anyone else get a feeling that the next Xbox or Play Station isn’t going to be coming any time soon? There's been little sign from either company that they are working on a new console besides just common knowledge that eventually they'll have to. It seems to me that both companies have decided to skip a generation.

This is why I actually think the Wii U is going to have a good bit of time to itself and why I suspect Nintendo weren't too fussed about the best available specs.

As for not having a Blu-Ray Drive it could be because they’d have to pay their rival Sony for every drive they install. It’s probably not something they want to be doing, especially as the games don’t actually need them.

Aha Tim, The next PlayStation will be coming soon though as like with all the PlayStation's they've released the final thinner and more memory version of it. I would be surprised if we didn't have the PS4 by 2015. I'm not sure about Xbox but meh there rubbish.

Further rumours towards a new xbox coming out has surfaced. Recent magazine says so... So it must be 100% accurate ;)

On all seriousness I have no idea how strong the sources are in this review, but more and more rumours suggest a new gen console is coming on it's way.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-10805_3-57551679-75/xbox-720-to-offer-kinect-2.0-and-blu-ray-drive-says-xbox-world/

As for PS4, I have heard nothing, and releasing another PS3 shows to me that they are more inclined to continue selling PS3 games and not move on. As for new console by 2015.. thats a bit of a late guess? The xbox and ps3 consoles are already out of date, they are getting to the stage when they can barely run modern games, Dev's have had to be incredibly clever to get modern day games to run as well as they can on these systems and I give applause for them. But they are reaching the end of the line of what current gen consoles can do.

Also Joseph I wouldn't really say Xbox is rubbish when talking about PS3's they are just as bad as one another ;) [/witty-pc-master-race-insult]

You mean the two that have come before ;) hardly conclusive.

I have the Wii U on preorder, but due to finances not being great I won't pick one up until the new year. There aren't any games in particular that scream out to me, but I've gotta say that the Miiverse feature looks incredible. In fact, I'd say it looks bettere than the achievement systems of the Xbox and Playstation.

Naughty Dog are being very cagey about Uncharted 4. This is believed to be as they're concentrating on Next-Gen version.

This makes sense to me, why wouldn't you take that time to get it ready as a launch title, given its undeniable popularity as one of the best PS3 games - which it is. There are few which show off the cinematic qualities of the PS3 so well, it will make a stunning Next Gen title.

I don't think the PS4 is too far away, Xbox360 and PS3 both had their launch issues, where are the Wii was pretty trouble free from the outset - I would imagine, both Sony and MS are doing more fierce QC this time round to save further embarrassment.

As for the Wii U. I don't know, I don't get it really. The tab is brilliant in that you can play without the TV, I love that - but as the chap in Game said, if two people want to use it, you're looking at plenty of notes to buy a second one! Also, everything is going hands free, but Nintendo bring out something more cumbersome than the Wii lol?

The other thing to remember is Nintendo attract the family market more than Xbox or PS ever will I suspect, both in pricing, their great timing, far earlier releases, solid Nintendo fan base and of course, fun and family friendly games! I think they actually have carved a different market cleverly for themselves, and got across to all ages that consoles are fun.

This time round people went for a Wii, and a PS OR Xbox if they could afford it - especially families.

First Nintendo console that I will not be rushing out to buy however.

I finally got a go of the Wii U today, whilst purchasing a stuffed owl in Hamleys.

The controller is much confer than your expect. The screen was fairly smudged but I put the blame of that on pudgy children that would no doubt have got their grubby little mitts on it.

Annoyingly, there weren't many demos to play. In fact, Rayman Legends was the only one! The controller worked very well with it, though. On a side note, the game looked gorgeous.

With my late reserve-preorder not arriving until at least December 15th, I doubt that many of us Brits will be able to get one until at least mid-January. Hooray.

AshleeKel said:
In fact, Rayman Legends was the only one! The controller worked very well with it, though. On a side note, the game looked gorgeous.

I find it stupid that they are showcasing demos of a game that isn't even out at launch. Unless its delay was announced after the demos were released. Win logic. I've heard the Pro Controller doesn't work the best for platformers but nonetheless I can't wait!

I have fears hat developers are going to use this as a big Nintendo DS... WHICH WON'T WORK! The point of a DS is you can see both screens at once however, with the Wii U, you can't. Constantly refocusing your eyes is going to make for poor games.

I'm not sure whether to blame Nintendo for the obvious flaw in the system, or the developers for not developing around the flaw. Either way, we'll have to see.

No one with any actual game reviews?

ZombiU looks to be a lovely game, a proper survival horror but will certainly not be to everyone's tastes, the addition of the gamepad's screen allowing you to do bits and bobs whilst the game remains in motion is a tense and often scary addition, though I've not been in such a situation as of yet...

The game's atmosphere is exceptionally good, the choice of London as the setting might be making me biased, but it's dark, gloomy and exceptionally good, with an actual sheer sense of panic if it looks like the horde will come along to turn you... And you will get turned... The fact that one bite can kill your character is rather realistic, and the whole coming back as a new person is another decent and unique mechanic, especially with the chance to kill your former self and regain your belongings (which can also occur with your friends I'm led to believe)...

So far, the main annoyance is surprise zombies, where a second appears to mess your life up when you think you've got one cornered... One on one against zombies you are likely to win if you're good with the cricket bat weapon, two things get complicated, 3 or more it hits the fan...

Multiplayer is local and decent as well, the Pro Controller handles nicely with the FPS survivor having to last out against the Zombie King (called Boris, coincidence?) with the GamePad who spawns zombies of increasing difficulty (I HATE the riot gear ones)... Nice bit of fun really to pass the time and mix things up, showing up the FPS capabilities of the game which don't really come through in the campaign due to the survival first situation...

Solid game, but not to everyone's tastes... Probs the best launch game though 8/10

Mario Bros U follows the success of the rebirth of the 2D Mario series, and shows little difference from it's recent and older cousins... However, one aspect of the GamePad shines through here, with the ability to play the game without the need of the TV itself... This is something useful for other apps as well, and will prevent those days of arguing over the TV... Only will work for a few games (i.e. ones not designed to use both simultaneously) however, but still is an interesting thing...

As for the game, it's 2D Mario... A formula unbroken since the first really... 7/10

Does anybody know much of the sales performance since release? This is the first Nintendo console where I have been really underwhelmed by what they offer, would be interesting to know how it's been received the public

Just found out the EU Wii U e-store ( that's rather gun to say! :p ) have stopped the sale and distribution of all 18+ content before 11pm... For everyone...

That sounds stupid in my opinion...

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk, please excuse any ridiculous mistakes!

Fredward said:
Just found out the EU Wii U e-store ( that's rather gun to say! :p ) have stopped the sale and distribution of all 18+ content before 11pm... For everyone...

I was about to call "bull<censored>" on that...but then I found out that it actually is true.

It's Germany's fault, basically. Apparently, over there anything rated 18+ can only be sold at night, because everyone knows Adults don't buy things in the day. Were Nintendo to move their head office outside of Germany, which is the reason they have to comply with Germany's stupid law, then they could get around it, but unfortunately that's the only way.

Fredward said:

Surely if Nintendo wanted a restriction like that, then they would distributed 18+ Games AFTER 11PM? It doesn't make sense...

At this moment, the Wii U's games are too stupidly expensive.

Black Ops 2 is around £40 on Xbox 360 and PS3, but on Wii U it's £55! This isn't just RRP, that is how much GAME are charging for it! It's even worse for older titles - Batman: Arkham City has been out for over a year, and is free with PSN+, but it's £50 on Wii U. Mass Effect 3 is also £50, yet you can get the whole Mass Effect trilogy for less than that on other machines.

What's worse is that whilst 360 games could reach £50 at launch, you couldn't play them elsewhere, and the games that were also on PC like Call of Duty 2 looked amazing for a console at the time. But the Wii U is just as powerful as current machines, and you shouldn't be paying next gen prices for them.

I won't be getting them until the games come down by A LOT!

EuroSatch said:
Does anybody know much of the sales performance since release? This is the first Nintendo console where I have been really underwhelmed by what they offer, would be interesting to know how it's been received the public

Official Nintendo Magazine reported limited stock would be shipped in the first 2 weeks until December 16th. But there is a interesting read here about Nintendo's sales targets http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-11-30-will-nintendo-meet-its-wii-u-sales-target

I've heard them wanting to sell almost ten times that in a year which is ridiculous, but that rumour wasn't confirmed.

In Japan on launch day it did slightly worse than the Wii did, but that's understandable. I'm still holding out for mine until a game (beside the pack-in Nintendo Land) hooks me in. I would get ZombiU but I've got no chance with by babyish face!

I've been given some time off work due to sickness, nd as I'm being paid on Friday I've decided to pick up a Wii U. I managed to get one brand new for £240, although I feel like I tricked the guys selling it - they told me the Wii U with ZombiU was £295, but without ZombiU it was £240 (they were selling it for £32), it makes no sense. They also gave me a discount on an SD card. Sweet guys.

So at the moment I've unpacked it (it was technically second hand but hasn't been touched), and am downloading an update. Initial thoughts? It's lovely. Very easy to set up. One of the best features I've already noticed is that it plays different parts of the music through the TV and the gamepad. I know this is only the setup menu, but it's a nice feature and already shows off some of the cool things you can do with the gamepad.

I'm gonna try Nintendoland once it's updated, and maybe even download a game or two, but first impressions are good.