• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Wiki

N

_nemesis_

Just wondering, why is the TowersStreet wiki written so sarcastically? It's very opinionated, and not really encyclopaedic. Sorry for this. :(

BenBowser.

BenBowser said:
Just wondering, why is the towers street wiki written so sarcastically? It's very opinionated, and not really encyclopaedic. Sorry for this

BenBowser.

The wiki is a bit of fun, there's plenty of Alton Towers info on the site/other sites/actual Wikipedia and so it's something different to have tongue-in-cheek versions of all that stuff.

Yeah, it does say on the homepage of the wiki:

TS Wiki said:
This wiki is for fun and shouldn't be taken seriously.

Can't say I've read much of it for a while but when it was originally started when we were all back on TT I think it was just for a bit of a laugh.

:)

Ok, thanks guys. I was just wondering, some of it is rather amusing.

BenBowser said:
some of it is rather amusing.
Thanks. That's the idea. ;)

As has been said, The Wiki is not to be taken seriously. Think of it as an extention of The Tavern.
I wrote a few of the original articles myself (as did many others, I'm not trying to claim it's all my work or anything!), but I'll admit I've not done much lately. If nothing else, I have several mugs to add to the TPMDB that I haven't bothered to do for ages. :-[

It's a shame that the only new updates these days are quotes from skype chats. But anyone can create a new page, so feel free to if you have an idea. But remember, it's less of a Wikipedia style, more Hitch Hikers Guide to the Galaxy. ;) Real facts can be squeezed in every now and then, of course, but the most important thing is to be funny. :p

DiogoJ42 said:
BenBowser said:
some of it is rather amusing.
Thanks. That's the idea. ;)

As has been said, The Wiki is not to be taken seriously. Think of it as an extention of The Tavern.
I wrote a few of the original articles myself (as did many others, I'm not trying to claim it's all my work or anything!), but I'll admit I've not done much lately. If nothing else, I have several mugs to add to the TPMDB that I haven't bothered to do for ages. :-[

It's a shame that the only new updates these days are quotes from skype chats. But anyone can create a new page, so feel free to if you have an idea. But remember, it's less of a Wikipedia style, more Hitch Hikers Guide to the Galaxy. ;) Real facts can be squeezed in every now and then, of course, but the most important thing is to be funny. :p

Actually, I gotta be honest that whole thing is very outdated, and the humour is very dumb. I wish someone would edit it and put in smarter jokes, referencing phrases that aren't 5 years old.

HaydenCR said:
Actually, I gotta be honest that whole thing is very outdated, and the humour is very dumb. I wish someone would edit it and put in smarter jokes, referencing phrases that aren't 5 years old.

Any particular pages in mind?

The Wiki should never EVER be taken seriously as an outlet for information! :p

It was and is essentially our Uncyclopedia with articles either sprung from recent-at-the-time events or just from our own senses of humours. Whilst there are some gems in there, there are unfortunately many pages that didn't really fit in and I think there was a plan for myself and Jordan to give the Wiki a bit of TLC but we just never got round to it.

We did give the wiki some TLC! About this time last year I redid the home page and tidied up a bunch of categories, so it's a lot easier for someone to start browsing through it.

You're right in observing that a lot of the content is circa 2011 (the Good Old Days™) but I think there's still a fair amount of relevant humour when it comes to things like Meet Memes.

I hoped that the Wiki might become a decent home for trip reports and photos from meets - a wiki page suits the format rather well. But we never got enough people interested with trying the idea out.

I wasn't aware of this until today, and it's giving me a nice evening of entertainment :)

The wiki is a good laugh and definitely something to check out to see what references to old jokes or things are.

It has been a bit unloved lately though, some newer things are missing and some other parts seem outdated. Whilst it would be nice for people to get involved again - it stands as a nice testament to older times with the community.

I adore our Wiki. There's some truely hilarious little hems hiding in there :p

I think one of the issues was that we sort of hit a point where we'd more or less written about everything we could think of, but by the time new stuff was there, we'd forgotten about the Wiki, so it hit a dry spell. It serves well as a humorous archive of older occurrences though! If anyone feels they want to add something then please do go ahead. It is a Wiki after all! Just remember not to go around deleting what's already there, as a lot of time and effort when into it, and we wouldn't want you to upset anyone ;)

A lot of us have been to many more parks since we started the wiki, so in theory we have many more rides to write about. I think we have most of the major UK stuff covered, even if it's a bit out of date. Maybe it's time to start writing pages for EP and PL etc?

If I had the time I would start updating stuff on there, but I'm a bit busy and I'm normally the last person to find out about recent events, etc.

DiogoJ42 said:
HaydenCR said:

Thorpe Park and Chavs, really. The whole chav movment is horribly outdated

HaydenCR said:
DiogoJ42 said:
HaydenCR said:

Thorpe Park and Chavs, really. The whole chav movment is horribly outdated
While thorpe themselves are tying to move away from Chavs. You only need to take a look at what people post on their facebook wall to realise, this era is not over. ;)

^
Indeed, for those of us who went to Thorpe more times than we'd care to count between '05 and '10, the words 'Thorpe' and 'chavs' sadly still very much go hand in hand. (In fact, the 950 bus from Staines station will always be 'the chav bus' to me). I say the cap still fits.

And I hadn't given the wiki a proper read before I saw this topic, but it made me laugh quite a bit. Anyone that's taking it seriously needs to be a bit less... Meat Pie, really.

I really love the TowersStreet Wiki page of theme parks and attractions. Have you done a Southend-on-Sea?, there's a funny theme park called "Adventure Island", it's got some good rides and attractions there you could make up and goof up about.