• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Worst opening ceremony...

MiserableMonkey

TS Member
Favourite Ride
X2
It occasionally seems to be the done thing with smaller parks to get a celebrity to open a ride, and for the most cases we've probably never heard of them.

The "celebrities" in this video for Nickelodeon Land, I have no idea who they are. Vernon Kaye a few years before for Infusion was the best I've seen PB come up with in a while.

My question to you all is, whether it be celebrity related or not, which is the worst opening ceremony for a ride you've ever seen/heard of. SAW's opening springs to mind, just for the mess it was!

Most rides here?

They're either ultra cheap (Nick Land) or just a damp squib (Th13teen).

Look at what parks do abroad. Makes our parks look a joke.

MiserableMonkey said:
It occasionally seems to be the done thing with smaller parks to get a celebrity to open a ride, and for the most cases we've probably never heard of them.

The "celebrities" in this video for Nickelodeon Land, I have no idea who they are. Vernon Kaye a few years before for Infusion was the best I've seen PB come up with in a while.

My question to you all is, whether it be celebrity related or not, which is the worst opening ceremony for a ride you've ever seen/heard of. SAW's opening springs to mind, just for the mess it was!

Well, that video doesn't even show an opening ceremony....

AstroDan said:
Roger Moore [007] Opened a hotel at Europa Park the other day... THAT'S RIGHT, A HOTEL!

0.jpg

The day I see something like that in a UK park is the day I turn into a fish!

LewisNavex said:
AstroDan said:
Roger Moore [007] Opened a hotel at Europa Park the other day... THAT'S RIGHT, A HOTEL!

0.jpg

The day I see something like that in a UK park is the day I turn into a fish!

That's not Roger Moore...

spike1911 said:
MiserableMonkey said:

I couldn't find a video of the opening, but we all know it involved cop-out David Hasslehoff. But still, even in that video, the people building up the publicity are unknowns.

MiserableMonkey said:
spike1911 said:
MiserableMonkey said:

I couldn't find a video of the opening, but we all know it involved cop-out David Hasslehoff. But still, even in that video, the people building up the publicity are unknowns.

I beg to differ, I don't see what is wrong with Nickelodeon UK TV Presenters; Jamie & Anna promoting the new Nick Land plus the head of the Worldwide Nickelodeon Theme Parks; Gerald Raines doing the same. Not celebrities, but not nobody's as well infact very fitting promotion for Nickelodeon Land. :)

I confess to not understanding the point of self serving, pompous opening ceremonies for a ride. Just get on with opening it and be done with it. I went to Thirteen's opening day because I wanted to ride Thirteen as soon as I could, not because I wanted to see a celebrity pretend to be interested cutting a ribbon or some self congratulatory, indulgent show.

What annoys me is all the "be the first to ride" and first rides being given out as prizes, I genuinley would like to see something as simple as people sleeping in thier cars over night to be the first to get on like it used to be for an anticipated film etc.

Blaze said:
I confess to not understanding the point of self serving, pompous opening ceremonies for a ride. Just get on with opening it and be done with it. I went to Thirteen's opening day because I wanted to ride Thirteen as soon as I could, not because I wanted to see a celebrity pretend to be interested cutting a ribbon or some self congratulatory, indulgent show.

But surely a theme park is all about "putting on a show"? Nobody is forcing you to go on opening day. And anyway, most of the time the "opening show" is actually the day before the actual ride opens to the public, or whatever.

Re: Best opening ceremony...

In that regard - look at the spectacle that the tiny Swiss park Conny-Land put on when they opened their only coaster - a Pax coaster at that.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Gc6IBh9ygY[/youtube]

This is just so epic and I think a great shame that UK parks don't create the sense of occasion that other parks manage. The Thirteen opening scrum was embarrassing and completely lacking any prestige.

Blaze said:

Instead, you got to see a celebrity be indulgent in front of everyone with his family...

I would like to see the UK make an effort again... We used to but I guess it's just gone... Considering the pomp of recent events, surely just a themed 5 minute opening by the ride entrance just before opening would be interesting and make it seem more of an event rather than just "it's open"...

I think opening ceremonies are a good way of getting people hyped up about an attraction or a day in the park. Isn't the whole idea of theme parks to immerse you into an environment that you wouldn't see every day. I'd rather have these overblown shows rather then the park just opening up like your local shopping centre.

Re: Re: Worst opening ceremony...

Blaze said:

Hipster Blaze, opening ceremonies are too mainstream. :p [/pullingyourleg]

Dunno about worst, Saw was a disaster.

But the best I've seen is Tower of terror that looked amazing.

The Swarms opening ceremony looked brilliant though, it is annoying that it was open only to "VIP's" aside from people who gave a Damn about the ride! Swarm in the dark, entire entrance/dome turned evac centre, military personal barking orders around the park, sirens blaring, Les Coogan howling!

Wish I was there!

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

MiserableMonkey said:

That wasn't the opening for Nickelodeon Land though, are you forgetting that the Hoff officially opened the area?

He is hardly unknown is he.... BGT judge last year and he is off Baywatch and he appeared on the Spongebob Movie. I am sure a lot of people know who he is!

He is probably the most known celebrity to open an area at BPB.

Re: Re: Worst opening ceremony...

Didn't Red Rum open Steeplechase?

I would put Red Rum over the Hoff anyday.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Michael said:
MiserableMonkey said:

That wasn't the opening for Nickelodeon Land though, are you forgetting that the Hoff officially opened the area?

He is hardly unknown is he.... BGT judge last year and he is off Baywatch and he appeared on the Spongebob Movie. I am sure a lot of people know who he is!

He is, although that may have something to do with the fact he's the only celebrity that's ever opened an area at PBB.