• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Writers topic

Maya

TS Member
Does anybody here write? Share it here!

I've written quite a few things in the past week for English assessments :) This is my writing about a plane crash (which I got a 7b on :*)

"Breath In, Breath out" I whispered to myself. This was my first flight in all my 16 years of life, and I was taking it badly. Anxiety was streaming through my blood, and sweat cascaded down my head, blurring my eyes and soaking my shirt. I hated it. Even though we'd only been in the air for about an hour, my parents were already asleep, so I had no one to squeeze my hand, or relieve me from my worries. I imagined I was on a beach- like I would be this time tomorrow: calming music flowing through the damp summers air; dolphins swimming in the distance, their distant yet distinct conversations chiming in my ears.

Slowly, I drifted away into paradise - oblivious to my horror of flying. I dreamt I was in an Utopian wonderland, having fun with all of my family, until many hours later I awoke with a shudder. It seemed like everyone else around me had been disrupted too, as they too were all sat up bolt straight, looking around at each other. Minutes later, as I had just fully regained my consciousness, there was another loud bang as the plane convulsed. Almost everyone gasped, as we began descending, almost vertically. Babies began screaming; their mothers trying to comfort them with their own distressed murmurs, and people around me prayed, hoping that someone up there- whoever- would save them. I didn't scream though. I'd read about things like this in preparation for my flight- some may said i was just being paranoid, however I knew my research would pay out. I remember reading about how 70% of people in plane crashes survive, and just a small spark of hope lit up my mind.

I quietly looked around me, hunting the emergency exits and safety jackets under my seat, as chaos emitted. As the plane oscillated, more and more people joined the ever growing panic- people were being thrown from one side of the plane to the other, their nose's bloody from hitting the seats in front of them; their pain inflicted shrieking ringing in my ears. I felt as if it was the end of the world. But I knew I had to live. Then suddenly, the plane was inverted, and hell broke loose around me. My hope was deteriorating. I clung onto my seat belt, my screams unable to be freed from my mouth, as my life flashed before my eyes. I was no longer in a plane, about to die. I was in my paradise again.

I awoke as we were yards from the ground- I saw empty Fields growing larger as we descended closer and closer to them. We were swerving uncontrollable, as large bangs erupted and the smokey smell of fuel and fire filled the air. I looked to my right as the wing of the plane hit an old dilapidated church, and then to my left, where people scattered away in sheer panic away from the wreck that was heading towards them.

Seconds later, we hit the ground with a debacle crash that will remain in my memory forever- I expected a few gentle bumps, however how we landed was far from that. I saw black; I felt the life in my slowly deteriorating, and then the real devastation began.

That's a really good story, Maya!

I, personally, love writing. My GCSE English Language coursework received top marks and was described by my English teacher as the best writing that she had ''ever had the pleasure to read''!

It got me thinking that it would be interesting to write a novel and, combined with my love of books, I thought to myself that I'd give it ago. The novel itself is planned out but I'm in the middle of a busy period so writing it has been postponed to Summer. :)

Maya said:
Does anybody here write? Share it here!

I've written quite a few things in the past week for English assessments :) This is my writing about a plane crash (which I got a 7b on :*)

"Breath In, Breath out" I whispered to myself. This was my first flight in all my 16 years of life, and I was taking it badly. Anxiety was streaming through my blood, and sweat cascaded down my head, blurring my eyes and soaking my shirt. I hated it. Even though we'd only been in the air for about an hour, my parents were already asleep, so I had no one to squeeze my hand, or relieve me from my worries. I imagined I was on a beach- like I would be this time tomorrow: calming music flowing through the damp summers air; dolphins swimming in the distance, their distant yet distinct conversations chiming in my ears.

Slowly, I drifted away into paradise - oblivious to my horror of flying. I dreamt I was in an Utopian wonderland, having fun with all of my family, until many hours later I awoke with a shudder. It seemed like everyone else around me had been disrupted too, as they too were all sat up bolt straight, looking around at each other. Minutes later, as I had just fully regained my consciousness, there was another loud bang as the plane convulsed. Almost everyone gasped, as we began descending, almost vertically. Babies began screaming; their mothers trying to comfort them with their own distressed murmurs, and people around me prayed, hoping that someone up there- whoever- would save them. I didn't scream though. I'd read about things like this in preparation for my flight- some may said i was just being paranoid, however I knew my research would pay out. I remember reading about how 70% of people in plane crashes survive, and just a small spark of hope lit up my mind.

I quietly looked around me, hunting the emergency exits and safety jackets under my seat, as chaos emitted. As the plane oscillated, more and more people joined the ever growing panic- people were being thrown from one side of the plane to the other, their nose's bloody from hitting the seats in front of them; their pain inflicted shrieking ringing in my ears. I felt as if it was the end of the world. But I knew I had to live. Then suddenly, the plane was inverted, and hell broke loose around me. My hope was deteriorating. I clung onto my seat belt, my screams unable to be freed from my mouth, as my life flashed before my eyes. I was no longer in a plane, about to die. I was in my paradise again.

I awoke as we were yards from the ground- I saw empty Fields growing larger as we descended closer and closer to them. We were swerving uncontrollable, as large bangs erupted and the smokey smell of fuel and fire filled the air. I looked to my right as the wing of the plane hit an old dilapidated church, and then to my left, where people scattered away in sheer panic away from the wreck that was heading towards them.

Seconds later, we hit the ground with a debacle crash that will remain in my memory forever- I expected a few gentle bumps, however how we landed was far from that. I saw black; I felt the life in my slowly deteriorating, and then the real devastation began.

Good work, but isn't this just a description of what happens in Flight? (wing hitting the church, plane inverted etc)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-sAxrWl5DGU#ws :p

Hmm, I write a lot. We are expected to for english work and to make our hands stronger for the long IGCSE timed essays. I will share some stuff later. Im writing for a prize my school gives out every year. Im up against sixth formers, so it will be tough!

Alastair- I was wondering if anyone would get it- we were told to watch the clip and then write a short passage as if we were passengers :)
Diego- I think its equivalent to a B or an A in gcse ;)

Then why not just call it a B or A? My old man's brain is confused.

I've had a few English pieces in school graded at B's - A*s

I'm also in the process of writing a short fiction novel about living in a totalitarian/dystopian state (think 1984 mixed with Fahrenheit 451).

:)

Whilst I sporadically blog, the vast majority of my writing is done as a news reporter for Gay Star News. The website deals with LGBTI (Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, Intersex) news, entertainment, travel and features.

http://www.gaystarnews.com

As a weekend reporter, the bulk of my writing is on news stores. However, from time to time, I also write features or comment pieces.

Below are a few examples of my most popular stories on GSN:

http://www.gaystarnews.com/article/stealth-trans-people-having-sex-should-not-be-criminals030713
http://www.gaystarnews.com/article/gays-and-straights-stage-mass-snog-trafalgar-square-name-lgbt-rights080913
http://www.gaystarnews.com/article/nigerian-scientist-proves-same-sex-attraction-unnatural150913
http://www.gaystarnews.com/article/universal-studios-halloween-show-features-offensive-gay-stereotypes201013
http://www.gaystarnews.com/article/trans-gamer-left-completely-dehumanised-following-microsoft-xbox-event290913
http://www.gaystarnews.com/article/danny-dyer-hits-out-homophobic-eastenders-comments-twitter040114

This year, I'm hoping to get something published in print.

Maya said:
Alastair- I was wondering if anyone would get it- we were told to watch the clip and then write a short passage as if we were passengers :)
Diego- I think its equivalent to a B or an A in gcse ;)

I loved that film, wish I'd been given something like that to do at GCSE English! We studied Miller's Crucible for the whole year...and then did it again for A-Level :p

I've written this for my English homework- not too keen on it just yet, I think I need to work on the smoothness of it a bit more.
I've had trouble with the tenses as well, I prefer to write in the present, but thought writing it in the past would give more of a shock for the ending. I'm not sure.
The teacher told me to work on using short paragraphs for impact. I think I still need to work on the vocabulary in the sentences though (I might just do a joey and thesaurus every single word!)

Wrought in barbed fencing, sat the dilapidated house that nobody dared to enter, in an area that nobody dared to pass. Clouds loomed directly overhead, and synchronised thunder and lightning occurred directly on the hour, every hour, just to ward people off that little bit more.

A dim light flickered from inside.

As the wind blitzed past, the house was brought to life: charcoal black roofing tiles shuddered and slipped; shutters swung back and forth and perished leaves entered and departed through open doors, exposing nothing but darkness. In the distance, the sound of crashing waves abolishing the surrounding rocks, repeatedly detonating them with their powerful combustion joins the scurrying of small animals in the dead grass, desperate to evacuate the area.

There was a obscure intonation, cackling from the inside.

Inside, it looked as though the previous owners had one day decided to get up and leave, putting the décor in standstill since the 70's, and leaving everything in possession of the wildlife- who have looked after the place very badly. Among the debris lay many old books- dust inches thick and pages dwindling- as if they hadn't been touched for years, but were incredibly well loved before. Children's books and adults books alike, the previous owner must have had a true obsession before they left- for whatever mysterious reason.

A sudden gust of wind brought the true attribute of the house back to mind.

The distinct smell of death dominated the air, joined with a faint murmur of the floor boards- creaking like an old man wheezing in his last days of life. Ivy had crept its way through the windows, winding itself around appliances, like it was waiting for its next unsuspecting victim to possess.

A muted muttering was audible from behind.

When looking above, there were many paintings of old historical figures. Arenaceous glass frames shattered and stained with an undefinable red substance. Their eyes were panicked, as though they were trying to tell you something but just couldn't, because their lips were sealed closed.

Suddenly, a burst of cold air swept through the room.

Everything became glazed with black fog. Things began moving. Voices began speaking. The house was alive, and it was more alive than ever before. Nobody had dared enter before, and nobody shall dare enter ever again.