• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Xtreme Fright Nights at Twinlakes Park

smudge

TS Member
Favourite Ride
Nemesis
http://www.xtremefrightnights.com/

I have tickets to the above tonight, and wondered if anyone had been / is going?

For 15 quid I'm not going to grumble, but from what I have seen heard it does look worth a visit...

Twinlakes Park and Scream Park Productions have teamed up with Xtreme Fright Nights to produce “The Single Biggest Leap so far in the UK’s Halloween Industry.”

Twinlakes, the East Midlands No.1 Family Theme Park provides the infrastructure for Xtreme Fright Nights to deliver over 100 dark corridors, 65 Live Actors and 50 uniquely themed rooms, packed into 5 exclusive Horror Mazes, 2 Interactive Scare Experiences and Live Street Theatre, over 13 nights this Halloween.
Scream Park Productions have over 10 years of Experience in the UK Halloween Market. During this time they have worked with industry veterans including Alton Towers and Tulleys Farm: Shocktober Fest, producing award winning, sell out events across the UK. The collaboration between Twinlakes Park and Scream Park Productions has enabled Xtreme Fright Nights to produce an event that steers the industry towards premium attractions at an established venue and away from the current trend of temporary seasonal Halloween festivals that currently swamp the UK market. This encourages consumer confidence by guaranteeing a professional, quality experience.

Purchasing a ticket for one of the 13 Nights of Frights entitles entrance to the park which includes access to the following;

5 Live Horror Mazes
3 Interactive Scare Experiences
Street Theatre
Free Car Parking
Photo Opportunities
2 Large Indoor Cafe’s Serving Hot Food and Refreshments
Fully Licensed Bar
BBQ
Sweets, Snacks and Light Refreshments

Will do a short TR regardless, if anyone is interested.

Its nothing compared to last years Adults only event... :mad:

Themeing wise it beats anything in a UK Merlin park. As for the mazes, the Pie Factory has fab theming and story (and is housed in shipping containers ;)), but let us down on the scares. Punishment is a "hooded" maze.

Capacity was a problem on our visit this year. They had a maximum number of 3 being batched through the mazes at one time. This created a queue of 30 mins for the Curtains maze and was mediocre to boot.

Also be aware you can only go through each maze once, as they give you a sheet of tickets and there is only one ticket per attraction.

Hopefully the mazes will be better for you than they were for us... We wont be rushing back.

Thanks for the insight, I think this is a 'peak' night so hopefully they will up the anti so-to-speak, but at only 1/2 hours drive away I'm sure it will be ok. I'm expecting boiler house 2011 maze standards (so obviously not high ;) ) although punishment does look something else.

Re the pie factory... shipping containers... Can't be too shabby then, hoping for experiment 10 standard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I find this event all rather strange from a theme park that doesnt let adults in unless you have children with you during normal park times. Yet they put on some Xtreme scare event? Seems all a bit random to me.

Its like Thorpe Park hosting a Cbeebies event during its closed season.

djtruefitt said:
I find this event all rather strange from a theme park that doesnt let adults in unless you have children with you during normal park times. Yet they put on some Xtreme scare event? Seems all a bit random to me.

Maybe they're just branching out their target audience, and trying something new.
:)

djtruefitt said:

I thought this too, I'd love to go as I'm not far from it but don't have anyone to go with lol

Would definatley be interested in a TR from this, if its not to hard can you take a few piccys aswell? If its good I might head down there, the UK is screaming out for some more attractions like this, theres not many which are good enough to bother travelling to.

OK, so a short (maybe long if i rabble) TR:

So we arrive, and from getting out the car, we can hear lots of load bangs, screaming, lots of lights and even a chainsaw!... Sounds Promising.

Car park not empty, but when we arrive we collect out tickets ( pre-booked ) and get handed a ticket which allows one entrance to each maze. 5 in total.

The theming is very good, with fires (bonfires and what look like industrial size log burners), good lighting, all trees lit up with green / red.

In all honesty we didn't really know where to go, so wandered off and came across the maze; Curtains Chaos;

Set as a big top/ circus (Carnivalesque) there was a small que line inside a brick building with nice theming and spooky 'carnival' music playing.

After a short 5 minute que, we reach the front, and the host shows us in. (it was just me & a friend, so we just went through as a two.

So almost as soon as you walk in, its like a labrinth of 'flaps' so basically the whole room is seperated into 2m square boxes. Some sides blocked off and some sides able to walk through.

There were 2 or 3 actors in this section, and we ended up very disorientated going over areas 2, 3, and 4 times.

The actors did touch you, which was good, as they just lent through the 'flaps' and grabbed you etc. Very jumpy.

Eventually we found the 'way out' which was more like a typical 'scare maze' with strobes and smoke ( & of course clowns. )
Overall rating 6/10 - We already knew this wasn't the 'main' attraction, but our experience was spoiled slightly by a couple of 'lads' swearing etc, normal chav behavior really.

Moving on to the main area, we found the 'scare zone' Sick Savoy.

Now this wasn't a maze, just a show, and the actor (very good may I add) was on a sort of stage and there was another (young) actor shackled to a chair. (Mr Jones.)

When we arrived he was already talking to other people inside, but when we arrived he included us immediately by asking me to 'eat these worms'. Telling me to tip my head back open my mouth and shut me eyes (obvious sexual innuendo included) I ate the 'worms.' Not pleasant.

He was feeding 'human remains' to the actor in the chair everytime after he was 'throwing up' which was rather disgusting, but added to the scene.

Lots more explaining / feeding/ throwing up later, he had finished his scene and we left.
Overall rating 7/10 - a fun addition, more like a filler, but a good standard all the same.

Then on to Punishment.

I wanted to leave this till the end, because this was the 'main event' but we could see noone around it and thought we might get a better run through.

Walking up to this brilliantly set 'barn' area, with loud music playing out, lots of shouting.

As soon as we started walking towards the entrance, we were ambushed by men in orange boiler suits, who played their part very well as 'crazies.'
They followed us to the entrance, goading us and taunting us on the way.

We were then told to grab a rope and follow him, he explained (well, shouted) that he was going to put a hood over out head, obviously obliging, we were then submitted to pitch black.

There was a rope that led through this 'barn' going up stairs, back on your self, over uneven ground.

It really was pitch black, and each group (or each person in our case had their own actor, basically they followed you through the whole thing, shouting in your ear things like 'keep moving' 'im always going to be here' 'im folloing you' 'im going to watch you die' 'get on your knees' and general shouting, it was very intimidating.

There were 'tunnels' to crawl through, very uneven flooring, where everyone must of fell at, the actors were pushing you, standing in your way, but obviously we still could see anything.

There were smell effect, lots of bangs. Infact my actor said (which made me laugh) "if you dont hurry up in going to drop one...", *cue the sting bomb*" I told you I was gong to" "breath it in you filthy rat"

Eventually i was pulled to the side, and told to stand still. Your hood is pulled off and, there are 5 actors right in your face, covered in blood, one of them shouts at you to go down 'there', now you can see, you fall down a choote (well a slide), but it works well as you are already shaken and you cant see the slide, so I 'fell' down, then at the bottom you are in a room with a strobe, then you hear the chainsaw fire up, the 'chainsaw guy' then obviously chases you out. There is another actor in there, I assume a 'victim', rubbing your face with blood and stopping you from getting out.
Overall rating 9/10, very good, thoroughly recommended, very original, and the setting was fabulous. Extremely well set out.

Then on to the Farmhouse of fear.

Quick one here, a good maze, lots of set-pieces or theming pieces, not many actors, but the ones that were there were good. Basically set as a farmhouse, with scarecrows etc etc.

Overall rating 5/10

Onto The Pie House.

Was looking forward to this one, this had the most hype surrounding it, the theming building up to it was great, the setting was great, and there was lots of people gathered around.

15 minute que on this one, but we still went through as a two.

You start in a shed where an actor (great woman actor here) taunts you and tells you that they have run out of pigs and she stamps you with whatever 'grade' she things, I was 'Offal' naturally.

We then exit the shed, and go along a path and into a SHIPPING CONTAINER set out like 'fridge', very well may I add, disgusting smells etc, industrial freezer trollies etc, then an actor jumps out of a freezer obviously 'dying' you then enter another SHIPPING CONTAINER where there are two actors 'eyeing you' up saying you will be tasty and they cant wait to eat you blah blah blah, although very good acting still.

This part of the maze reminded me of the boiler house, with the sounds, smells, music and lights, some frights & jumps along the way. The theming throughout this maze is top notch.

Feel hanging off the ceiling etc, what you would expect from a 'meat factory' kind of scare maze.

Finally going through sheets, *cue chainsaw starting up* (Texas Chainsaw Style) you are forced out by the main character.

There was a local paper photographing people upon exit.
Overall rating 10/10 - theming top notch, and the best actors. A long, well thought out maze.

Lastly the Dungeon.

Basically a square room with black wooden walls making a long corridor.

Some jumps and scares, about 3x actors.

Not a lot to say about this, there were some tight sqeezes, some strobes, some smoke, some grabbing.

The actors were OK, but the whole maze was mediocre at best.

Overall rating 4/10

The other 'scare zone' was the Twisted Playground.

This consisted of some freaky actors playing on the swings and slides, with dolls / children in a creepy manor. Pretty good addition 5/10.

Conclusion:

Definitely worth a visit, especially for people within a 40 mile radius. The park done a fantastic job on the theming / lighting ( take note towers ) and the two main mazes made the experience.

I would visit again for the 2x main mazes, all the others, although none great, were a bonus.

I have probably missed out a lot & my apologies for no pictures, I'm not a camera kind of person.

Any further questions or bits that need explain 'better' I will happily oblige. (to the best of my memory.)

*You will probably do it all in 3 hours max.
*I didn't go on 'jesters revenge' which was just a 'spooky tea cups' ride.
*The park was quite quiet, if busy maybe the low throughput of the mazes could result in 30 min ques.
*Don't take the words 'Bar' or 'BBQ' too seriously, there is a shop with a fridge full of beer, and a small garden BBQ that just does cheeseburgers. ( although that was fine we found. )
*The 'maze hosts' are not in character which I found strange as they were dressed up. But maybe they were just park staff, so fair play to them for dressing up.

Does sound brilliant, may I ask if its a pay on the door event or do you have to book in advance, thanks.

This is plain weird. Up till a few years ago, i used to go to twinlakes every summer for my friends birthday. A great place when you are little but the last year we went on it we were just mucking about on the little kids rides. We came across the farm house of terror and went in but it was just a story and some audio being played with a few scarecrow statues and black curtains. We also came across the dungeon maze but no actors just audio and theming (We decided to jump out and scare my friends sister which made it better). Twinlakes is just a little kids park! This is really random. I do however wander if they used the christmas train, the davy jones barrel ride or the gladiators play area for anything. Personally i think this is wrong.

Pricey. said:
Does sound brilliant, may I ask if its a pay on the door event or do you have to book in advance, thanks.

Booked online, then they had the tickets ready at the gate.

Although I imagine you could pay at the door. (I'd ring up check though) it was nowhere near busy.

Are the rides and stuff included?

I might nip up there next week if so with some family/friends.

Not worth it if it's just for the mazes really, but a longer day I can see the benefits of.

I love this forum for this, I'd never have known about this park otherwise.

I made a commitment to supporting smaller developing parks, this is a good start :)

The only 'ride' that is included is jesters revenge. A sort of tea cups in the dark thing.

The doors don't open till 6:30 pm so basically this event is only the mazes / fright night thing.

Also worth mentioning that it is only open for 13 nights, I think the last being bonfire night, as they also have a bonfire & fireworks on that night.

smudge said:
The only 'ride' that is included is jesters revenge. A sort of tea cups in the dark thing.

The doors don't open till 6:30 pm so basically this event is only the mazes / fright night thing.

Also worth mentioning that it is only open for 13 nights, I think the last being bonfire night, as they also have a bonfire & fireworks on that night.

Appreciate that Smudge thank you :), not sure if that makes it worthwhile going unfortunately, as it would only be a trip for me really then haha! ;D

Going on Wednesday (HELP!), so will post my thoughts afterwards. Absolutely bricking it ???

Double post I know, sorry!

Just got back, missed the rain just! Thought the whole place was very well done for the kind of park it is. Favourite maze had to be Punishment, unlike anything I've ever experienced before. So disorientating and mind spinning. Being told you had to keep hold of the rope, "AT ALL TIMES!" and then being dragged away from it on numerous occasions and having to find your own way back was horrible! Thought the ending was great and really fun!

All the mazes where really well done theming wise with The Pie Factory being the most well themed. Overall, I thought the whole event was brilliantly done for such a small park. I think it's on for another three days or so, so I'd recommend anyone who lives near or around here to pay it a visit. Really is worth it, I can't recommend it enough!

Can someone tell me if any of the visitors dress up? We were all going to dress up but looking at the photos it doesn't look like anyone else does?

When we went last year, we saw a couple of people dressed up in costume but the majority didn't.

Going tonight though so I'll keep an eye out and let you know!

It wouldn't surprise me if they are trying to discourage people from dressing up these days. I know they've always banned masks or other face coverings. Standard cosplay rules should be allowed though: keep it practical, no realistic weapon props etc. Take it from me, you don't want to be spending ten minutes stashing bits of your outfit in the bag store on every ride!

When we went to Canada's Wonderland's halloween event (not that it's relevent to Towers), they were turning people away at the gate if they had so much as face paint on!