• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Your train station count

Matt N

TS Member
Favourite Ride
Mako (SeaWorld Orlando)
Hi guys. I don't know how you all feel about public transport or how often you use it, but with us sharing a hobby like theme parking, I'm guessing that most of us have hopped on the train at some point, whether that's in the UK or abroad. So my question to you today is; what is your train station count, and what stations have you visited? And are there any particularly standout stations, of the ones you've been to?

Personally, I'm a pretty frequent train traveller, as it's my primary means of getting to university. I've got to say, I do rather enjoy the train, and I certainly wouldn't be averse to using Britain's train network to get to more places in the future!

For this, I'm personally going with stations where I've actually spent time off the train as opposed to stations that I've merely travelled through while on the train (my count would be far higher if I counted stations I've travelled through on the train, but not actually spent any non-train time at).

In terms of my actual count; from memory, the stations I've actually spent time off the train at are:
  1. Lydney
  2. Gloucester
  3. Cheltenham Spa
  4. Chepstow
  5. Cardiff Central
  6. Cardiff Queen Street
  7. London Paddington
  8. Bristol Parkway
  9. Bristol Temple Meads
  10. Bath Spa
  11. Birmingham New Street
So that makes my count roughly 11. I could well have forgotten one, though... for clarity, these are all UK stations, as from memory, I've never taken the train abroad...

In terms of any particular standout stations; Lydney, Gloucester and Cheltenham Spa are in a class of their own, as I visit each multiple times a week on my university commute route:
  • Lydney is my local train station, and while it's about as basic as they come, merely consisting of 2 open air platforms with a small shelter on each, it's extremely convenient for me and certainly does the job well!
  • Cheltenham Spa is my university train station, and while it also only has 2 platforms, it's somewhat more extravagant than Lydney, with a bridge over the tracks, a proper building covering the platforms over, ticket barriers, toilets, a small cafe... it's quite posh for a 2-platform station!
  • Gloucester is where I change trains on occasion; most notably on a Friday, where I change there to get home. The GWR train to Weymouth takes me between Cheltenham and Gloucester, and then I have a brief 20 minute wait before boarding the Transport for Wales train to Maesteg to get me between Gloucester and Lydney! In terms of the station itself; it's probably the most extravagant of the stations I visit on a regular basis, with 4 platforms, a footbridge, big shelters over the platforms, toilets, ticket barriers, a big cafe/restaurant, and even a few smaller shops as well!
In terms of any others; Paddington is massive, and has lots of shops and other facilities, and while it's some years since I travelled there, I remember New Street being similar as well. And Chepstow also stands out to me, as my nan & grandad took us on the Lydney to Chepstow train to go for lunch in Chepstow's Wetherspoons during many a day off school when I was younger; we did it for years, and as I wasn't a frequent train traveller at the time, I remember it felt like quite an adventure!

But how many train stations have you visited? And are there any particularly standout stations, of the ones you've visited?

I'm assuming we're referring to UK only, as if I were to incorporate European stations, that'd be a whole different ball game. :p

In terms of stations at which I've been on the platforms for the purposes of train travel (not counting ones where I've been to pick someone up/drop someone off, and I'm not counting solely Tube stations), that list is well over 100, if not more. I had originally started compiling a list, but it was pretty long. :p Most of mine are around Cornwall, Birmingham, Stoke, Manchester, and London, with a few from other places around the UK. If we're on about Tube stations, then it's all 272. I've also visited all the DLR stations, a sizeable number of London Overground stations, and I'm not too far off completing the Metrolink. Oh, and I've also done everything on the Edinburgh trams, but given that's only one line, that's not exactly a challenge. :p

At a random guess, for either travel or visiting for some reason, at least 25 mainline plus some heritage stuff, a fair few tubes, all of the Supertram network, some Metrolink, some of the Düsseldorf Tram Network, monorails at Madrid and Heathrow, narrow gauge stuff in Dorset, Norfolk, Kirklees etc

Eventually I aim to hit every single national rail station.

I'll do a full count at some point in time, but it's definitely a decent number.

I could possibly provide a top 10 if you would like me to @Matt N

Eventually I aim to hit every single national rail station.

I'll do a full count at some point in time, but it's definitely a decent number.

I could possibly provide a top 10 if you would like me to @Matt N
That sounds awesome; if you're able to do a top 10, that would be really interesting to see!

Wow, loving the nerd levels in here. In an average week, I'll end up at ...

Blackpool North, Preston, Manchester Oxford Road & Euston.

Plus from a TfL perspective ... Euston, St. James's Park/Westminster, Pimlico & Dalston Kingsland.

I’m a Train Manager for Avanti, so I’m well versed in the stations between Preston and Euston via Birmingham. Other than that though, I’ve not really visited many others. It’s always a bit if a busman’s holiday. Especially when I travel with friends and always get ‘what does that mean’ at the varying alarms onboard (to which I reply, if we’re travelling on a class 221 voyager, it could be anything from losing all of our fuel to the toilet being out of loo roll again).

I had the joys of spending time waiting for a train at Blackpool North once. Once was enough. It made Crewe station, a station I will be wasting 20 minutes of my life at tomorrow when heading down to London, feel like an oasis.

I think I have done most of the big English stations...waiting from late at night for the first train back to the north west in the morning.
favourite, probably Par in Cornwall, the start of many care home holidays that were mind bendingly good.
Nothing at all at the station apart from a thousand sweet memories.

My top 10 railway stations are as follows.

Moor Street
Sheffield
Waterloo
Kings Cross
St Pancras
Manchester Piccadilly
York
Edinburgh Waverley
Liverpool Street
Marylebone

I’ve no idea what my train station count would be, but I’ll list my top 10 stations that I’ve been to:

Newcastle Central Station
Paris Gare Du Nord
Liverpool Street
Edinburgh Waverley
Brussels-Midi
London Waterloo
Kings Cross & St Pancreas
Amiens
Liverpool Lime Street
Windsor & Eton Riverside

I get through my fair share of train stations. Today I will see
-Redditch
- Birmingham New Street
-Crewe
-Stockport

Birmingham New Street Platform level is awful. Dark and dingy and when there's a X Country Voyager in pumping out fumes becomes even more unpleasant. Concourse level is fine now after the redevelopment.

Euston can be a bit grim but has improved over the years with much better dining places upstairs and also outdoors; Hopefully with HS2 coming sometime in the next couple of hundred years, this will improve things further . The concourse area is still a bit crowded and if you are unfortunate to get caught in the 'Euston Scrum' (Ie everyone rushing to be first on when the platform is announced about 5 minutes before departure) it is very unpleasant. However I easily avoid that now thanks to RealtimeTrains which usually confirms for platform number at least a couple of minutes before it appears on the boards and you can be waiting on the ramp ready and be seated long before the scrum catches up.

Blackpool North was an awful experience. I was originally told my ticket was invalid as it didn't work the gate, despite the fact the origin station was printed as Blackpool North, you can not access the platforms, you are denied access by locked doors. So despite the train being on the departure boards and in the station, they only unlock the doors a couple of minutes before departure. No way of avoiding the scrum there sadly.

I like Liverpool Street, I passed through yesterday, and is bright and airy. Waterloo I don't mind as it is massive and makes it feel less crowded than in can get. Liverpool Lime Street is another station that is much better after redevelopment, but with lots of ancient diesel trains in the shed can feel a bit dirty, also the subway which take you towards the town centre and also the Merseyrail underground platform is a bit grotty to say the least. Not the best first impression for someone coming to the city. worth noting for anybody ever traveling to Liverpool, you can continue your journey to Liverpool Central from Lime Street via Merseyrail, but it is actually quicker walking.

Good luck.
I hate Birmingham New Street with a passion, you ask @Thameslink Rail or @Jonathan who have both had to listen to me rant about it for a solid 10 minutes. I won't do it here because I think I'd reach the character limited, even though I don't think there is one.

Nail on then head

4 hours to get to Stockport …. Apparently there was a bridge strike (?) and problems with the overhead cables just outside the station….. it was manic ….

I’m a Train Manager for Avanti, so I’m well versed in the stations between Preston and Euston via Birmingham. Other than that though, I’ve not really visited many others. It’s always a bit if a busman’s holiday. Especially when I travel with friends and always get ‘what does that mean’ at the varying alarms onboard (to which I reply, if we’re travelling on a class 221 voyager, it could be anything from losing all of our fuel to the toilet being out of loo roll again).
Oh dear. I shall hold back on my views but let me just say that the Tortoise on rollerskates is cool. 😁
Birmingham New Street Platform level is awful. Dark and dingy and when there's a X Country Voyager in pumping out fumes becomes even more unpleasant. Concourse level is fine now after the redevelopment.

Euston can be a bit grim but has improved over the years with much better dining places upstairs and also outdoors; Hopefully with HS2 coming sometime in the next couple of hundred years, this will improve things further . The concourse area is still a bit crowded and if you are unfortunate to get caught in the 'Euston Scrum' (Ie everyone rushing to be first on when the platform is announced about 5 minutes before departure) it is very unpleasant. However I easily avoid that now thanks to RealtimeTrains which usually confirms for platform number at least a couple of minutes before it appears on the boards and you can be waiting on the ramp ready and be seated long before the scrum catches up.

Blackpool North was an awful experience. I was originally told my ticket was invalid as it didn't work the gate, despite the fact the origin station was printed as Blackpool North, you can not access the platforms, you are denied access by locked doors. So despite the train being on the departure boards and in the station, they only unlock the doors a couple of minutes before departure. No way of avoiding the scrum there sadly.

I like Liverpool Street, I passed through yesterday, and is bright and airy. Waterloo I don't mind as it is massive and makes it feel less crowded than in can get. Liverpool Lime Street is another station that is much better after redevelopment, but with lots of ancient diesel trains in the shed can feel a bit dirty, also the subway which take you towards the town centre and also the Merseyrail underground platform is a bit grotty to say the least. Not the best first impression for someone coming to the city. worth noting for anybody ever traveling to Liverpool, you can continue your journey to Liverpool Central from Lime Street via Merseyrail, but it is actually quicker walking.
I’ve heard recently that London Liverpool Street could be in line for a major redevelopment. It IS rather dated. It’s an alright station though, especially with all those white lights on the platforms.
505945B8-D6C3-4F69-863F-FAEC665411A7.jpeg
Waterloo is an OK station but not the best. Marylebone is quite cute, tucked away in a back road of London and it doesn’t feel like a London terminus because it’s so small. Blackfriars is cool across the Thames, I guess I like it because I love how Thameslink goes through London and you don’t have to change if going from north to south (or the other). Charing Crossk concourse is small but nice. Cannon Street…hmm. I hate Euston though, it’s like an airport with it’s dark colours, plus I cannot believe there are no ticket barriers there! And since London Bridge was redone, I love it, with all the shops, it’s like a mini St Pancras. Again, that and it’s neighbour Kings Cross are nice.

For the rest of the country, Edinburgh is rather cool. York is lovely too. Liverpool Lime Street is good too, I went there for the first time ever last year and stayed opposite it. Bournemouth is nice and traditional.

I have travelled through some real holes though. Some stations in this country are just not looked after like they should be. Some aren’t worthy of TLC. There are some real peculiar ones too, like Peckham Rye in south London which has 4 platforms, 2 on a viaduct of its own.

Away from theme park interests I have a large interest in railways, infrastructure, Underground stations and history, and the occasional steam railway. Trainspotting? Yep, Southampton is a good spot to see a lot of trains pass plus some very long freight trains.