• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

[2024] Thorpe Park: Hyperia - Mack Hypercoaster

Obviously they’re entitled to do this from a legal standpoint as it’s in private land etc but surely if anything went wrong what with it only being tested for a week, it’d be a PR disaster for the ages, why risk it? 😳
ADIPs certification is to allow the general public to ride a ride. Perfectly fine for the owners or manufacturer's of the ride to use it as they wish or need to before a declaration of conformity is issued, at their own risk.

But what is likely to go wrong? I've never known a Mack restraint fly open, and they will have got data for forces etc. during initial test runs.

Perfectly normal for something like this to happen, especially with Mack. I'm pretty sure someone was sitting on the front row of Alpenexpress during its very first test run (yes, a very different coaster I know).
I’m not an engineer so I honestly couldn’t tell you but I only said this as normally these videos surface towards the end of a testing period not a week in to it. Threw me off (no pun intended) a little bit I suppose. 🤣

Last edited:
New update from Jack Silkstone;

Bit worried that the shop won't be ready on time, still a lot of work to do by the looks of it!
And spare a thought for the merge host, all four queues (from left to right facing the steps: Disabled, Single Rider, Fastrack and Main) end just before the steps (and lift) to the station, so they'll have their work cut out lol. RAP appears to be mixed up until merge, with ambulant going straight ahead up the steps and non-ambulant going left to the lift.

The part I don’t understand is; why does Single Rider need to be merged with the other queues when baggage storage is in the station? Why is it that single riders can’t just progress up to the station past the merge point?
I was thinking about that as well. Think it's because the lift is on the left-hand side just around the corner from the merge point, so obviously there needs to be a gap for people to get to it.

The part I don’t understand is; why does Single Rider need to be merged with the other queues when baggage storage is in the station? Why is it that single riders can’t just progress up to the station past the merge point?
Does the merge lead straight to the station? If so then it’ll just be like single riders going up the right side on smiler instead of the left. In theory it’ll be quicker

Does the merge lead straight to the station? If so then it’ll just be like single riders going up the right side on smiler instead of the left. In theory it’ll be quicker
Yes single riders will go up the left side of the staircase after merge, with everyone else going up the right.

Yes single riders will go up the left side of the staircase after merge, with everyone else going up the right.
Oh they’ve got a separate side for singles guess that makes sense. Unfortunately single will be useless this year as the queue will still be 80 mins. I suppose that’s better than 150 but it’s still a long wait

Oh they’ve got a separate side for singles guess that makes sense. Unfortunately single will be useless this year as the queue will still be 80 mins. I suppose that’s better than 150 but it’s still a long wait
What makes you think the singles queue will still be ridiculously long? I’ve heard stories of Smiler’s being deserted in opening year when the main queue was 2 hours long.

What makes you think the singles queue will still be ridiculously long? I’ve heard stories of Smiler’s being deserted in opening year when the main queue was 2 hours long.
But now the single rider queue is ridiculous on any day besides when it's a very quiet off peak day and it just saves you the walk through the queue line.

I think it depends on how many people are aware of the single ride queue, the smilers is very hidden untill the end, the first time i went by my self i ended out doing the main queue as i didn't know it was there, my experience is that the smiler single rider queue fills up more through out the day I think because people realise it exists as it is normally empty at the start of the day. if hyperias single rider queue is well indicated then it could be quite busy, but if it isn't indicated much and is out of the way then it could be quite quiet.

I think it depends on how many people are aware of the single ride queue, the smilers is very hidden untill the end, the first time i went by my self i ended out doing the main queue as i didn't know it was there, my experience is that the smiler single rider queue fills up more through out the day I think because people realise it exists as it is normally empty at the start of the day. if hyperias single rider queue is well indicated then it could be quite busy, but if it isn't indicated much and is out of the way then it could be quite quiet.
Hyperia's s SRQ entrance will be located next to the three other entrances.

Half the wait time isn't exactly useless!

But i do wonder if a 2 seater train is less prone to odd numbers of groups than a 4 seater. For example, a group of 3, 1 may decide not to ride rather than go on alone.

Is anyone else not particularly excited about Hyperia?

Im feeling very “meh” about it if I’m honest.
I should be excited, it’s a massive new coaster at my nearest park but I’m just not feeling it.
I don’t know if it’s the weird layout, the lack of theming, the short length, the fact it’s a bit scary looking?

I don’t really feel its visually appealing, it looks a mess with the colour transitions and the funky support structures.
I do love rides which look good and which are immersive and heavily themed.

There is a good chance, I’m just a bit intimidated and scared of it. (I’m always scared of big new rides the first time, but then always love them And I’m usually scared but excited at the same time).

I look at Voltron and I would absolutely love to be getting on that . Others on my wish list…Toutatis, Ride to happiness, Kondaa, any of the RMCs. If they were at Thorpe I would be itching to get on them.

Hyperia, I’m just not excited. I want to be, but I’m not…

I may well change my mind once I’ve been on it?

I’m incredibly excited about Hyperia. It’s a hypercoaster (we only have two here and they opened 18 years ago and 30 years ago with Stealth and PMBO respectively). It’s got an absolutely massive inversion. It’s got 14.8 seconds of airtime according to the park. It’s going to have great hangtime with just that lapbar. It’s going to be an absolute blast.

I'm a bit of both.

I think it will be an excellent ride in isolation. However when you look at it on a global scale it's not particularly impressive. Obviously for many (if not most) people here in the UK it will be the tallest and fastest rollercoaster they've ever experienced whilst as enthusiasts we're spoilt with either riding more notable attractions in other countries or at least being very aware of them.

Voltron feels more exciting because of its presentation and it's a very modern rollercoaster whereas Hyperia could be 20 years old.

Its selling point is that it exists in the UK. Ultimately though if it ends up being the "best" rollercoaster in the country then that's something i'm excited about as i'll be able to regularly ride it if i want.

I'm very much excited for hyperia I'm not going to be in the country for opening so I'm more excited for taron, FLY, Kondaa, untamed, Fenix, Baron, ride to happiness etc. And when I'm back in the country then I'll be excited for hyperia.

When it comes to the other Mack that's just opened well that's the full package that can compete on a worldwide scale let alone Europe, reviews sound extremely promising for Voltron but with hyperia I can see it going either way but on a domestic level for England hyperia is a very big deal and it's going to pull in the crowds for sure.