• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Alton Towers/Merlin Typos & Grammatical Errors

Oh dear, one of my own...but worth posting.
Only a single key away to the right...and everything else correct.
That big leisure company, second only to Disney, Merkin.
Hadn't heard that term in a while...my granny had one for Sunday best apparently.
Pleased to say I never actually saw it, but it was much discussed.

From Thorpe’s latest video. Accessibility ‘Inquiry’ form sounds very official.

I assume they mean ‘enquiry’.

IMG_6822.jpeg

This is a tricky one and according to Grammarly:

"The difference between inquiry and enquiry is minor and deals with a nuance in meaning:

• inquiry is preferred for formal requests and official investigations
  • enquiry is much broader, referring to any requests, formal or informal
While the words are sometimes interchangeable, their usage tends to be different in American and British English.

• In the UK, the two words are used interchangeably, although inquire is still the more commonly used word for formal or official investigations.
  • In the United States, inquire is the strongly preferred spelling in all uses."

So I guess "Inquiry form" is ok? Personally i'd have written "Enquiry Form" myself.

I was just about to post, but neil beat me to it...as the local pedant with too much time on his hands currently, that the Hyperia post there is completely correct.
Just because you don't use the "usual" word, does not make something wrong!
Absolutely correct, they want you to use a specific form to inquire.
Spot on.

I suppose you could back it up by saying it's more formal? So if the information was just displayed, then it probably would be an enquiry. But the act of scanning a qr code and researching this stuff for yourself means that you are conducting an inquiry?

I was just about to post, but neil beat me to it...as the local pedant with too much time on his hands currently, that the Hyperia post there is completely correct.
Just because you don't use the "usual" word, does not make something wrong!
Absolutely correct, they want you to use a specific form to inquire.
Spot on!

In British English, an inquiry is a formal investigation, such as those into the Infected Blood scandal or Post Office scandal. An enquiry is a query. I'm pretty sure Thorpe aren't conducting an Inquiry into accessibility, though perhaps they should.

In American English, you would use inquiry for both meanings.

But if y'all want to be Americans about this, fine by me. I'm not a copyeditor anymore!

Let's be clear, no one in any Merlin marketing team anywhere is using a dictionary, British or otherwise.

Even a basic spell check programme would pick up a lot of the sins that regularly make it into print.
I would imagine that Jack Silkstone / whomever produced that video did use Adobe Premiere's auto-transcription tool to generate the subtitles initially, which might / ought to explain the incursion of the Americanism in this instance.