• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Do you support graduated driving licenses?

Do you support graduated driving licenses?

• Total voters
And, if you are an inexperienced driver, who knows there is a zero limit, you would be a bit of a fool to drink a four pack of strong lager the night before driving.
You would wait until you were at the experienced driver limit.

I have had a two pint rule...as we all did as teenage drivers, all my adult life...thankfully accident free.
Nowadays, that is not very acceptable to younger generations.
Been tested a few times, usually as part of xmas testing, and passed every test, no problem.
Once, after a meal out with friends, I actually blew "green", despite a two pint meal a couple of hours earlier.
The officer was surprised, but told me the reading.
I'm not sure they would tell you nowadays...as that would be a new three pint rule for some I suppose.

Back completely on topic...the age group 18 to 25, four times more likely to die in a driving accident than any other age group in the uk.

Globally in the western world, if you die between 15 and 30, it probably involved a car.

We need to do something.
Ban the under thirties, completely, from doing anything.

Just using gps speed limiting in every vehicle would help. Anyone found to have over-ridden the gps system would be handed an automatic prison sentence of 4 months. Then longer for every further offence. Build more prisons. Get the inmates manufacturing stuff or otherwise making money for the prison system whilst they're in there.

Been in the print press at the weekend...I newspaper I think, the amount of data stacked up in a cars many chips.
Locations, door openings, phone calls incoming, home address, all stored away, and needs to be wiped on car sale.
But often isn't, and is accessible.

Just using gps speed limiting in every vehicle would help. Anyone found to have over-ridden the gps system would be handed an automatic prison sentence of 4 months. Then longer for every further offence. Build more prisons. Get the inmates manufacturing stuff or otherwise making money for the prison system whilst they're in there.
The problem is if anything changes then it will has to be updated across all of the cars when was the last time you updated your cars maps?
Imagine a road changes from 30 to 40 but most people have to go 30 because of their cars, think the "smart motorways" where speed limits change by the minute and some of the apps that insurance companies require people to install can read the wrong road (if 2 roads are parallel, imagine you are driving on a motorway and it switches to an adjacent road that I'd a 30, now you are in a very dangerous position of doing 30 on the motorway.
and the idea of having them all connected to receive updates probably wouldn't work as either there would have to be some sort of communication between cars and a base station or the cars use sim cards and mobile data, and who is paying for the?

Speeding in of itself isn’t the main cause of accidents, especially on motorways (see Germany for details), it’s reckless driving and distractions, though obviously there’s crossover as people driving recklessly or being distracted are often over the limit.

If people are coerced to religiously keep their eye on a speedometer lest the tiniest infraction send them to prison it would become a distraction in of itself imo.

Is a shame more people don’t use cruise control and you can all move along in sync.

I live on a straight section of a main road, between a junction and a bend. Everyone who uses their exhaust pipe to compenstate for their genitalia floors it, despite being a 30 zone.
I see at least one major crash every other month, right outside my house.
With one exception, they are always under 25 looking. The other one was so old she could hardly see.

But I don't think we should start punishing an entire group for the actions of a few.

If I had to make a rule to solve the problem? Legal limits on a car's acceleration curve. That way you can still have your high top speed for motorways, but no reason to speed in bursts in urban areas, as you won't get those sweet positive gs we all love on a coaster.
Also engine noise limits. Dear god, please enforce engine noise limits!

Don't forget the stereo bass that generates the dreaded "brown notes" through the house walls.
Sounds like you live on our road, all the same apart from the crashes.
...and of course, by their very nature, northern roads are so much nicer.

yeah, I live near a busy road and at night all I hear is the idiots with exhausts and remaps who think their lawn mower with loose bolts sounding engine sounds cool, I wonder if they could add a rule in MOT's.

yeah, I live near a busy road and at night all I hear is the idiots with exhausts and remaps who think their lawn mower with loose bolts sounding engine sounds cool, I wonder if they could add a rule in MOT's.
Excessive exhaust noise is a major failure. They are either quietened or sent to a test centre known to just issue certificates. One annual check is not the solution.

I really wish more was done to enforce against illegal exhaust modifications. It's totally unacceptable behaviour.
The police did an illegal exhaust clamp down in my town.
They found one car was being to carry drugs.

As for MOT. Locally the time you see one of the loud cars without hearing it, is it go to or coming from MOT. They swap last exhaust section for test then swap it back.

Last edited:
The police did an illegal exhaust clamp down in my town.
They found one car was being to carry drug.

As for MOT. Locally the time you see one of the loud cars without hearing it, is it go to or coming from MOT. They swap last exhaust section for test then swap it back.
I'm no smuggling expert, but surely rule one is "Don't draw attention to yourself"?

Reminds me of a..... person.... I once had to keep occupied and out of the way for a very, very long night. Son of the owner of a bar I was programing lights for.
He drove what was, ostensibly, a Subaru Impretza. But other than the chassis, it was a full on not-road-legal-in-any-way circuit racer. You couldn't even start it without external equipment and a twenty minute warm up. When he did, it sounded like a dimensional portal to hell was ripping the fabric of reality apart. Really, it was just an engine on wheels. Roll cage. No lights. Carbon fibre fake body shell. Gold paint job.
.... Number plate: "WEED 0NE"

Genuine, non-ironic quote from him: "I just can't understand why the police keep pulling me over?"

Really? Because I can't understand how they let him drive away!

Always the same. The amount of times I've watched Police Interceptors and that type of programme and the police come across someone driving at 25mph over the speed limit or some other kind of awful driving, so they obviously pull 'em over to have a word. The officer then smells weed or whatever and searches the car and finds a binbag full of weed and some wraps of cocaine. You'd think that the first rule of transporting drugs would be to keep a low profile, but some of these people appear to have no brain, at all.

I'm no smuggling expert, but surely rule one is "Don't draw attention to yourself"?

Reminds me of a..... person.... I once had to keep occupied and out of the way for a very, very long night. Son of the owner of a bar I was programing lights for.
He drove what was, ostensibly, a Subaru Impretza. But other than the chassis, it was a full on not-road-legal-in-any-way circuit racer. You couldn't even start it without external equipment and a twenty minute warm up. When he did, it sounded like a dimensional portal to hell was ripping the fabric of reality apart. Really, it was just an engine on wheels. Roll cage. No lights. Carbon fibre fake body shell. Gold paint job.
.... Number plate: "WEED 0NE"

Genuine, non-ironic quote from him: "I just can't understand why the police keep pulling me over?"

Really? Because I can't understand how they let him drive away!
What with the current drug wipes, he would not be able to do that now.

A lot depends on how they are modified. The best I heard was a trio of M2, M3, M5 with Akrapovic exhausts. Sounded really good, still inside legal limits but very close to them. Crappy drainpipes always sound awful even if they are right in the limit.

I'd prefer tougher restrictions on elderly drivers - licence reviews, mandatory eye sight tests., mobility assessment.

There's a high concentration of older people where my parents live - struggle to walk to the car with two sticks before climbing in and setting the revs at 5k rpm before shooting off. Clearly without the ability to stop in an emergency.

Come on Stuie, lets not pick on one generation alone, that has been discussed at length in this topic!
To make things a little more inclusive, should we just not say that every driver needs to take a brief refresher test and health/sight assessment every ten years.
By the dvla alone.
Then we won't trigger the moody old gits too much.

Last edited: