• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Formula One

Re: Forumla One

Jonathan said:
Formula One is not necessarily just about overtaking - it's about race strategy, and in my view, Monaco is probably the one race where race strategy is most important out of all the other races in the season.

If it were all about strategy then no one would watch it. The undercut is the worst way to get past a car, it isn't really fair on the driver as he can't do anything about it. More often, it works by sheer luck because of rain or a safety car in favour of one driver or another - something which isn't at all down to strategy.

The Psychoaster said:
Jonathan said:
Formula One is not necessarily just about overtaking - it's about race strategy, and in my view, Monaco is probably the one race where race strategy is most important out of all the other races in the season.

If it were all about strategy then no one would watch it. The undercut is the worst way to get past a car, it isn't really fair on the driver as he can't do anything about it. More often, it works by sheer luck because of rain or a safety car in favour of one driver or another - something which isn't at all down to strategy.

You've got to admit though that strategy is a major part of F1. It is quite often the key to winning races, or being in the points or not. Overtaking in F1 is relatively hard and it is not always possible to overtake; although the DRS has made it a hell of a lot easier and I'm not too sure whether I agree with it or not. A race where you are closely following different drivers strategies can be just as enjoyable as one with a tonne of overtaking. Plus I can guarantee that if at the British Grand Prix this weekend there is a McLaren 1-2 procession throughout the whole race with very little overtaking then the majority of the fans at the circuit won't be bothered in the slightest!

:)

Rob said:
The Psychoaster said:
Jonathan said:

You've got to admit though that strategy is a major part of F1. It is quite often the key to winning races, or being in the points or not. Overtaking in F1 is relatively hard and it is not always possible to overtake; although the DRS has made it a hell of a lot easier and I'm not too sure whether I agree with it or not. A race where you are closely following different drivers strategies can be just as enjoyable as one with a tonne of overtaking. Plus I can guarantee that if at the British Grand Prix this weekend there is a McLaren 1-2 procession throughout the whole race with very little overtaking then the majority of the fans at the circuit won't be bothered in the slightest!

:)

I'm not saying strategy isn't important, I'm just saying it doesn't have to be the be all and end all of races - more driver influence should be encouraged. Something that will not be the case until street races are eliminated.

Whilst I agree Monaco becomes a bit of a procession, this years Valencia shows that a street circuit can be exciting. I'll admit it was the crash with the Caterham that sent off a chain reaction for the rest of the race.. but it was great to watch, with over taking on nearly every lap.

News has just come in that María de Villota, Marussia's test driver, has lost her right eye as a result of the accident she suffered yesterday at Duxford.

:(

Happy days I might have a chance with her now. In all seriousness, not good news.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tom I have removed your previous post as it had generated a number of reports and was on the distasteful side.

Given the severity of the incident, comments that appear sexist and offensive aren't really going to go down well.

Any questions, feel free to pm me :).

People are remembered for their dominance. Vettel and Alonso are double world champions with possibly more in them yet. Hamilton scraped his narrowly and it's questionable whether he will claim another. He's certainly one of the best competing today but history will not remember him for his achievements so far.

Going back a bit but I completely disagree with the statement that people are remembered for their dominance. Neither Stirling Moss or Gilles Villeneuve even won a title and yet they're legends of F1. Plus in a situation where the entire field has different machinery, the World Drivers' Championship is not always an indication of who the best drivers in the field are.

I reckon that even if Hamilton didn't win another title (which I think is unlikely) the way he burst onto the scene in 2007 beating his double world champion team mate won't be forgotten in a hurry. I personally love the way he drives. His qualifying performances have been outstanding and even if his aggressive style can lead to mishap, he is never boring to watch. Sometimes there is more to it than who has the highest statistics at the end of their career.

Further expanding on that point, Jacques Villeneuve (son of Gilles, who was killed during practice at Zolder for the 1982 Belgian Grand Prix) won the World Championship in only his second season of Formula 1 - 1997 - but he never matched that at all, with only 4 third-place finishes from 1998 onwards, although this may have had something to do with the car. Regardless of that, if Villeneuve truly were a 'world-class' driver, then surely he would have tried to make the most of the cars he had, and it seems that he failed to do so. In my book, he's not really one of the 'great' F1 drivers, even though he did win the world championship in 1997. I believe I also mentioned Sir Stirling Moss in an earlier post.

Sazzle said:
Tom I have removed your previous post as it had generated a number of reports and was on the distasteful side.

Given the severity of the incident, comments that appear sexist and offensive aren't really going to go down well.

Any questions, feel free to pm me :).

Thanks for your polite and fair explanation. :)

I make no appologies for what I wrote, although I meant no offence with the jokes. If people can't recognise humour - regardless of whether they find it funny or not - then that's that's their loss. I find the use of the report button in that instance questionable, I would have preferred it if people had PM'd me if they took offence, but it's their decision.

F1 viewers be warned - BBC have split coverage between BBC1 and BBC HD and the Sky box hasn't worked it out. So if you are going to watch it recorded you'll be disappointed!

Another valid reason to justify to the mrs having SkySports :D thank you BBC

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back to the home of formula one god I love the bbc backing jenson button all the way

It was great to attend my first F1 race, at Silverstone this weekend. The camping was muddy and far from ideal but nothing really bothered us as we were there for the racing and to have fun (which we did). It was awesome to see so many world champions out on the circuit racing, and also wet practice and qualifying sessions! It was disappointing for the British lads, not least Paul di Resta, but a great spectacle - particularly Hamilton's donut in front of our grandstand at the end.

So was it worth going to? I am not sure if I should go to one.

I just feel I would see more on the tv at home. But I would like to go one year.

Do you get to see much on the big TV screens they have up?

Tom said:
It was great to attend my first F1 race, at Silverstone this weekend. The camping was muddy and far from ideal but nothing really bothered us as we were there for the racing and to have fun (which we did). It was awesome to see so many world champions out on the circuit racing, and also wet practice and qualifying sessions! It was disappointing for the British lads, not least Paul di Resta, but a great spectacle - particularly Hamilton's donut in front of our grandstand at the end.
Glad you enjoyed it! My first F1 race was at Silverstone in June 2009, and I loved it. I was sitting on what is now the new pit straight (i.e. after Club), and after the race, Hamilton did doughnuts on the Tarmac run-off by Club Corner, which was great to watch. It was a great weekend, and if I had the money, I'd more than willingly do it again! :)

And Jem - the screens they have up provide the official world F1 feed most of the time. Just look for the F1 logo in the corner of the screen. :)

Jem8472 said:
So was it worth going to? I am not sure if I should go to one.

I just feel I would see more on the tv at home. But I would like to go one year.

Do you get to see much on the big TV screens they have up?

Yes, I'd recommend it to anyone at least once - particularly if you have idols racings etc, it's great to see them on track in the flesh.

It is very expensive and I have issues with how F1 and and Bernie Ecclestone operate, but yes I'd recommend it once at is a very special experience.

There are big TV screens dotted around and are visible from most grandstands.

Alonso won, Vettel was second and Button was third, with Hamilton failing to finish. Fine by me! Sadly, I'll have to watch the extended highlights later, as it was yet another Sky-only live race. And I can't watch Hungary next week either, as I believe I'm going to a little football stadium in London for the Olympics... :D

EDIT: Vettel may be in trouble for overtaking whilst not on the track.

Sent from my HTC Wildfire S A510e using Tapatalk 2

Jonathan said:
Alonso won, Vettel was second and Button was third, with Hamilton failing to finish. Fine by me! Sadly, I'll have to watch the extended highlights later, as it was yet another Sky-only live race. And I can't watch Hungary next week either, as I believe I'm going to a little football stadium in London for the Olympics... :D

EDIT: Vettel may be in trouble for overtaking whilst not on the track.

Sent from my HTC Wildfire S A510e using Tapatalk 2

Yep, Vettel given a 20 seconds time penalty which pushes him down out of the podium places. Jensen up to second and Raikkonen third.

Once against Hamilton's bad luck strikes - it really has been a terrible season for him so far. IMO he needs to leave McLaren and move on; they aren't giving him the car or the kind of faultless team service that he deserves.