• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Galactica's Future

What would you like to see happen to Galactica?

• Keep the Galactica Theme

Votes: 2 1.1%
  • An improved version of air

Votes: 67 37.9%
  • A new theme to tie in with Nemesis and The Phalanx

Votes: 96 54.2%
  • Something else

Votes: 12 6.8%

• Total voters
Presumably there's only 6-10 years before Air's current track will be life expired, and presumably the whole thing ready for scrap? If there is any further mid-life retheme it'd probably need to be sooner rather than later to get more than a couple of years out of it.

Presumably there's only 6-10 years before Air's current track will be life expired, and presumably the whole thing ready for scrap? If there is any further mid-life retheme it'd probably need to be sooner rather than later to get more than a couple of years out of it.
I think since nemesis had its retrack, there have been assumptions made that every other coaster on park will fall apart when it reaches 30 years old. The forces on Galactica are nowhere near the forces experienced on Nemesis, so I expect the track to last much longer.

I could see them doing a technical overhaul of the trains though. They’re hugely complex and the “Galactica faff” during loading procedures severely hampers throughput.

I think Nemesis was a unique case, and not because of the forces either. That ride’s life was thought to have come to an end due in large part to the fact that it sits in a pit and many of the old supports were experiencing issues due to subsidence. You only have to look at how a crane often seemed to be sited near to the Nemesis pit in the original’s latter years, and it often seemed to be seen working on the loop in particular when the ride was closed.

Many B&Ms of similar age and not dissimilar force in some regards have not yet been retracked and show no likelihood of being retracked or removed any time soon. Even Kumba at Busch Gardens Tampa, which is a year older than Nemesis and has operated year-round for that entire time period, is yet to be removed or retracked and currently shows no great indication of being removed or retracked any time soon.

With this in mind, I don’t think we’re going to see every coaster in the park be retracked or removed when it hits 28 years old. I think the track of Galactica in particular could have more life in it than that.

I think the issue with Galactica won’t be the track, it’ll be the trains and technology to make them work. They’ll need the upgrade, and at a large cost I’d guess. So that’ll be the point Merlin decide whether it’s worth the effort or not.

I think Nemesis was a unique case, and not because of the forces either. That ride’s life was thought to have come to an end due in large part to the fact that it sits in a pit and many of the old supports were experiencing issues due to subsidence. You only have to look at how a crane often seemed to be sited near to the Nemesis pit in the original’s latter years, and it often seemed to be seen working on the loop in particular when the ride was closed.

With this in mind, I don’t think we’re going to see every coaster in the park be retracked or removed when it hits 28 years old. I think the track of Galactica in particular could have more life in it than that.

I think another thing as well is that Nemesis was a very well regarded coaster by enthusiasts and one that had a very strong identity and was quite marketable to a wide audience. I’d say that arguably Galactica didn’t quite have that and is nowhere near as important to the park in terms of branding as the likes of The Smiler, Wicker Man, and Nemesis are. Galactica is a good ride, and somewhat underrated by both enthusiasts and perhaps the public, but if the park had to sacrifice one Secret Weapon this would be it.

The things that the park could really do with at some point in the future are a modern multi launch coaster (with a Taron or Abyssus style low and twisty layout), and perhaps also increasing the amount of 1.2m and 1.3m rides at the park compared to 1.4m ones that can be restrictive for families. This might be a controversial opinion but I’d sacrifice both Galactica and Rita for one high capacity multi launcher. Galalctica’s downfall won’t be its track, it will be the trains coming to the end their life or becoming somewhat of a burden.

I think another thing as well is that Nemesis was a very well regarded coaster by enthusiasts and one that had a very strong identity and was quite marketable to a wide audience. I’d say that arguably Galactica didn’t quite have that and is nowhere near as important to the park in terms of branding as the likes of The Smiler, Wicker Man, and Nemesis are. Galactica is a good ride, and somewhat underrated by both enthusiasts and perhaps the public, but if the park had to sacrifice one Secret Weapon this would be it.

The things that the park could really do with at some point in the future are a modern multi launch coaster (with a Taron or Abyssus style low and twisty layout), and perhaps also increasing the amount of 1.2m and 1.3m rides at the park compared to 1.4m ones that can be restrictive for families. This might be a controversial opinion but I’d sacrifice both Galactica and Rita for one high capacity multi launcher. Galalctica’s downfall won’t be its track, it will be the trains coming to the end their life or becoming somewhat of a burden.

I don’t know, it’s always been very well regarded by the public, and often the first “big coaster” for many people. Its flying position is unique in the UK and most of Europe, a USP that still draws crowds today.

I think where towers went ring was bringing in the VR through Galactica which took away from the whole point of the ride. It’s also a theme that hasn’t aged well without the VR, and is a general let-down as guests expect some “Space-Themed” experience only to find its basically just a coaster over a bit of average landscaping.

What the park should have done, it expand on Air’s “Oasis” concept, bringing in those all-important theming pieces, waterfalls and tropical flora, and possibly a more-developed backstory or even pre-show.

Galactica was a flop, but that doesn’t mean it can’t be solved. I can’t imagine new trains would be more expensive than tearing the whole thing down after just 22 years to build something else entirely.

When it opened. Air was such a novelty. It pushed a boundary. My ex girlfriend went before me and said "the best bit is when it tilts." When we went just after scare fest, the experience I had was that it was painful (it started hailing as we went up the lifthill)

I've always felt it would be the first SW to go. The poor things is in such a shadow compared to Nemesis it's starting to get hypothermia. Although, a really good retheme would improve the experience. I had an idea, a few years back (around the time sub-terra opened) of theming around Phalanx air force. The station and the bridge could be decorated in former flying ace images. Have the station video as either a "right recruits" or "scramble." No need to make it modern either. Have a olde style RAF design.

My prediction; the whole thing will be painted the same lovely blue as that marking on the drinks station. It'll be some sort of Phalanx aerial unit. Possibly using the eve AI from Galactica since she's also in the bus for some reason. AI going rogue is a popular trope right now.

I'm pretty sure if Air actually looked like the concept art we wouldn't even be having this conversation. It could, and should be one of the most iconic rides in the Park:

maxresdefault.jpg

sw52.jpg

unnamed.jpg
Just imagine something like that as a F.L.Y style Vekoma Flying Coaster, that would be spectacular weaving through near miss elements and having your speed boosted with a second launch part way through the layout.

My prediction; the whole thing will be painted the same lovely blue as that marking on the drinks station. It'll be some sort of Phalanx aerial unit. Possibly using the eve AI from Galactica since she's also in the bus for some reason. AI going rogue is a popular trope right now.
You mis-spelt "black" there, mate. ;)

I'm sorry, but what is it with people wanting the ride to be themed to The Phalanx? I wouldn't mind a new theme, but it doesn't have to be a dark and gloomy theme, or even linked to Nemesis. Would a dark theme with Helicopters and jet fighters really fit a roller coaster that offers a more relaxing experience than its older Counterpart next door?

There's so many ways to take this ride, it could be in the form of air 2.0 or a new theme, but personally, a phalanx theme or anything related to Nemesis isn't one of them.

I think Air is one of those rides where its not well regarded by Enthusiasts, but is loved by the General Public and families. It's just preference, and I think it's good that Forbidden Valley offers two very different rides in terms of sensation and tone/theme with different target audiences.

Last edited:
Whatever happens with Galactica, seeing it themed to complement Forbidden Valley would be nice.

That doesn't necessarily mean it must be based around The Phalanx or have a dark theme. They could make it an 'oasis' (much like the original Air theme) where you have 'escaped' the war-torn Forbidden Valley. Link it in more with some theming and actors to enhance the story.

Maybe the Phalanx have a Zen garden for their lunch breaks
So pretty much Galactica's area is nothing more than the Phalanx's safe space? :p

That said, I like the idea of returning to Air and dusting off the orignal Oasis plans into their full glory in which you could still have it be its own separate area from Forbidden Valley being maybe retrofitted to show what the area looked like before Nemesis and by extension Phalanx ruined everything (the latter being perhaps a subtle nod to critics who complain about too many dark themes or the whole Phalanx storyline in general).

Given Air had those sleak steal buildings then maybe you could subtle have them included into the overall Phalanx theme as being the orignal research centre before Nemesis came but being maybe a more relaxed tone which not only helps keep a light theme which the park needs but does ever so subtly link it into the rest of Forbidden Valley.

And BTW, after looking at Colossus' repaint of teal track and cream supports, a hot take here but am I the only one who feels that those colours would suit a returning Air?

I'm pretty sure if Air actually looked like the concept art we wouldn't even be having this conversation. It could, and should be one of the most iconic rides in the Park:

maxresdefault.jpg

sw52.jpg

unnamed.jpg

If they did that, bought back the original audio, changed the name back to Air and give the tunnel the Curse treatment. It would be a joy.

Given I assume the control system is overdue a replacement I’d love if it if they did this at the same time.

Smoke, water, screens, rocks and new AV in the station and/or pre-show.

The station really does need to feel more like a building than the back end of an ikea

The station really does need to feel more like a building than the back end of an ikea

It was far better before it was enclosed in a tin-shed for Galactica! I thought it'd add to the ambience, but far from it. In the old station (especially on the right had side) you could see and hear the ride go by adding to the atmosphere and tension. The loss of the "Prepare for Air" announcement was big. The way it had those beeps and swoosh noises with the lighting coming on, and the heavy bass, oh that was sweet!

Galactica was a huge downgrade all-in-all, when what was really needed was an update of the existing theme, not slapping VR on to compensate for lack of theming & sticking (an admittedly good theming piece) a portal at the bottom of the first drop.

It had a USP which was flying, still unique amongst European coasters at the time, why fix it if it ain't broke?

Last edited:
I think since nemesis had its retrack, there have been assumptions made that every other coaster on park will fall apart when it reaches 30 years old. The forces on Galactica are nowhere near the forces experienced on Nemesis, so I expect the track to last much longer.

I could see them doing a technical overhaul of the trains though. They’re hugely complex and the “Galactica faff” during loading procedures severely hampers throughput.

Exactly this. Proven with The Runaway Mine Train, older than the original Nemesis and still operating just fine. Granted it only has one train, but the theory is correct.

This very candid video interview with John Wardley perfectly encapsulates what he wanted to achieve with the ride, the “Hero” to the villains of nemesis and oblivion. “High-tech but non-threatening” He goes on to talk about how key theming pieces were never completed as there wasn’t the time nor budget to do so.

I’d suggest today there probably is. We could still achieve his dream as envisioned. A tribute to a great man!