• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

2013 Theme Index - Global Attractions Report

Rob

TS Team
Favourite Ride
Steel Vengeance
I can't quite believe it's been a year since the last one of these but the 2013 TEA Theme Index Global Attractions Report has been released and can be seen here.

A few points after a quick look through:

- The Smiler increased Towers guest figures by only 4.2% to 2.5 million (it failed to make up for the decline seen in 2012).
- Thorpe saw an 11.1% increase and Chessie a 15.4% increase; Chessie actually had the biggest percentage increase in Europe.
- Europa Park is now the second most visited theme park in Europe, overtaking Walt Disney Studios Park (a 6.5% increase at EP compared to a 6.9% decrease at WDS).
- PortAventura's guest figures continue to fall, this time by 4%.
- In the USA, Universal Studios Orlando saw the biggest increase, 14%.
- Guest numbers are on the decline for all SeaWorld Parks & Entertainment Parks.
- Looking generally good for Six Flags and Cedar Fair parks.
- Tokyo Disneyland has overtaken Disneyland in California as the second most visited park worldwide. Tokyo had a huge 15.9% increase.
- Merlin's growth continues with a 10.9% increase in guest numbers worldwide.

I do like this report, even if it is not totally accurate it does give us the best indication of guest numbers. Looking forward to having a further read through it.

:)

It is an interesting report which gives a good overview, but I wonder how they work out some of the attendance numbers as in the past the seaworld chain of parks and Merlin amongst others don't officially release guest numbers and have said ones in the report are not accurate. The planning application for smiler showed Alton's actual attendance which was considerably higher than the respective years reports. Port Aventura claimed close to 4m in 2012 when shambhala opened much higher then the report suggested.

The bad weather in 2012 had a big impact on guest numbers at most uk attractions, with much better weather last summer it explains some of the increase the most Uk parks had last year.

I guess all the bad press on breakdowns really didn't help AT last year.

For Chessington I guess all the hype on Zufari must have helped, will be interesting to see if they can maintain it.

Thorpe started a big push onto season passes for the same as a full priced adult day ticket last year, I think this must have helped get them even more repeat guests.

At Universal I think Harry Potter is still really working for them and the Diagon Alley opening this year should help push USO back up to similar figures as IoA.

It's obvious the Studios park at Paris needs work to get attendance back up, maybe the rumours of a Marvel retheme to sections will help.

I read somewhere that SeaWorld having seen the success they've had with Discovery Cove are looking to get guest spend up rather than high gate numbers and apparently its working, they had less guests but overall income was the same. But I don't the the film Blackfish has helped much either.

Reading the text of the report, Europa got 500,000 guests during winter opening which is where the big increase came from, I wonder if any UK park can replicate that?