• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

2014 Season

Ian

TS Team
Favourite Ride
Dizz, Bobby’s Yarn Land 🧶
I was just bringing myself up to speed on the SW7 developments and noticed a few people talking about this, so I thought it'd be nice to spark a bit more in depth discussion into it, in a more relevant topic :)

So obviously next year will be 2013, and we all know what that means! SW7! But what do we think will be happening after then?

So far I believe we know that 2014 is:
  • Family investment
  • Two new attractions
  • Possible area retheme(?)

Let the speculation begin ;D

Possible area retheme, family year, and two possible new attractions, I reckon we may see something happening with Adventure Land and Storybook Land. Both in my option are areas which really lack any subsidance.

Sure Storybook Land is nicely themed for what it is, but it's so small and stuck between two other areas it feels spoilt. I'd like to think that the park might merge Adventure Land and Storybook Land into one larger area.

Two new attractions then? Well in that area I'd place odds on a new kiddie/family coaster to replace Beastie, and possibly something in the ice tent. A new show perhaps? It'd be something to add to one of the park's weaker areas, and provide some much needed indoor all weather attraction.

Obviously, all of this is just wild speculation going off of what we've already got, but what does everyone else think or would like to see? :)

A new kiddie coaster and a family-thrill flat ride in the Dark Forest or a white knuckle flat ride to replace Submission and /or Enterprise, please! A white knuckle or family-thrill flat ride for the Dark Forest the year after if one went in X-Sector in 2014. :)

I can't see a a white knuckle flat or even family thrill flat in 2014, maybe 2015. I expect an ip themed area to replace storybook land and adventure land plus maybe the farm as well featuring a new kids coaster. We could see something like the retheme that's just taken place at dream world in aus, where they have a dream works area split into three smaller sub lands themed around shrek, Kung fu panda and madagascar. Plus these ips allow a good mix of family rides and kids rides, rather than being just for younger kids like Thomas land. Not sure though if would have ice age and dream works in same park though and would require a biggish budget for the retheme.

Is there any point in replacing the Farm? Besides doing something better with the Dung Heap site and updating Doodle Doo Derby and Riverbank Eye-Spy, I think the area is fine. Storybook land ought to be expanded into Adventure Land once the sponsorship with Sega has finished for Spinball.

Although IP's have proved to be successful to other parks around the UK, I'd much rather Alton tried to stay more unique. Their own ideas and creations are far better, in my opinion.

Either way, a new kiddie coaster is a must.

:)

What year is the Sega deal up? Isn't it 2014? In which case the ending of that, removal of Spinball, and installation and expansion would all coincide nicely :p

It was suggested that Spinball would go when the deal ends. I don't think the park would be sorry to see the back of it!

... Think you could get a MACK YoungStar on what's currently Adventure Land? ;)

I think an IP theme will happen for this area as it brings in younger children, and as I said in the other topic storybook land is an embarrassment.
Attracting younger children has it advantages as it gives families with more than one child something to do for the youngest so everyone's happy.
I would say at the moment there is very little for a 5-7 year old to do.

The Dung Heap needs to go and a coaster should take it's place.

Don't see why we can't have a thrill ride too - they did in 1993, 1995 and 1997.

:)

Is anything going to be done with the Beastie site? I'm assuming they've left it there so they are able to simply replace it at some point without any planning concerns - perhaps 2014 is that time?

Ian said:
What year is the Sega deal up? Isn't it 2014? In which case the ending of that, removal of Spinball, and installation and expansion would all coincide nicely :p

It was suggested that Spinball would go when the deal ends. I don't think the park would be sorry to see the back of it!

... Think you could get a MACK YoungStar on what's currently Adventure Land? ;)
Either a Mack YoungStar or one of Vekoma's kiddie coasters would do nicely on either the Beastie site, Ice Show tent site or where the Dung Heap is, or perhaps something that uses up space on two or all three of those areas? I suppose it all depends on what they want and what they'd be able to get away with.

As much as I wouldn't mind seeing the back of Spinball, I don't think Alton Towers will remove it just yet. They could always retheme it but I think it's far too popular at the moment. Although, saying that, you can't keep retheming a ride forever as people associate it with all the other themes and simply adding a few signs and giving it a new colour scheme may not work as well as just selling it and building a new ride or two.

Here's what I think:

Adventure Land and Storybook Land will both be connected as one new area. The whole area will then be rethemed to suit an IP, the ice tent will be removed, the Beastie will be replaced with a new kids coaster that will cover that area and extend onto the ice tent site. The remaining area of the ice tent site will have a new building put in place and will house an interactive themed play area for kids (perhaps something similar to Nickelodeon: Outta Control

I believe the deal with Sega ends at the end of this season too? So something around Adventure Land will be the most likely scenario.

James said:
I believe the deal with Sega ends at the end of this season too? So something around Adventure Land will be the most likely scenario.

I think it does.

Really, what they need to make is a new kiddie coaster to replace The Beastie. As it stands, the smallest coaster is the Runaway Mine Train, which is more of a family ride than anything else. Just something small to ease the little ones into rides is what the park should get. Hell, it could be small enough to fit in a shipping crate and it would be ideal for all parties.

AshleeKel said:
Just something small to ease the little ones into rides is what the park should get. Hell, it could be small enough to fit in a shipping crate and it would be ideal for all parties.

Something like 'Project Gurgle'? Even the footprint is in the shape of a shipping container... :p
gurgle.jpg

James said:

I've been thinking about this for a while now, and since as the Sega sponsorship end this year, whats going to happen with Sonic Spinball?

They can't just paint over some sponsorship logos like they've done with the Driving School and the Flume. So surely they must revert all signage back to Spinball Whizzer (I much prefer that name), alternatively they could completely retheme it, but this hasn't been rumoured and I'm sure SW7 is 2013's whole ride budget. Personally I'd love to them to reinstate Spinball's original theme, and add the theming that is shown in concept art (station, general area).

On the other hand, I suppose the lazy thing would be to leave the Sonic signage/audio intact, after all, the Driving School cars still have Peugeot logos on them. This would allow them to give a good, solid, new theme to the ride and perhaps merge Adventure Land and Storybook Land together (Storybook Land isn't classed as a proper area by Alton Towers anyway, on the map that is). A new theme could be given to all the rides in that area, and there is enough space to invest at least 2 new children's rides into that area (Mack YoungStar anyone?). But please no more 'tree' themed areas, we already have Gloomy Wood and Dark Forest!

I think next year it will either stay the same, logos up, etc, Im sure Sega would have no isses with free publicity for them. Or they will simply remove any mention of Sonic, Either old signs put up (if they still have them) or just call it spinball.

I do think 2014 will see a bigger change to the area and Sonic, so I cant see them spending too much money on it next year.