• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

2018: Wicker Man - General Discussion - SPOILERS! - Part One

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
I see a water ride being added to KK when that gets its next overhaul. I'm not sure in the current climate the Rapids will last much longer so a water coaster would fit the park really well maybe it could be SW9. The old Coach park (if I'm thinking of the same thing it's behind KK) would be a great space to expand onto.

New scare maze which definitely seems to be connected - from the towers Instagram: "
altontowersNEW FOR SCAREFEST 2017 - The Welcoming: Be Chosen

A mysterious group who worship the woods and the animals that live therein like Gods have been disturbed. Every year they host a festival to celebrate their own interpretation of Halloween - the crossing of the worlds of the living and the dead. For the first time they have allowed outsiders to celebrate with them. But what part will you (‘the outsiders’) play in this ritual? Is this really an initiation? #scarefest #altontowers #halloween #thewelcoming #bechosen"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I've not watched the Wickerman so does this story fit with that?

100th page YAY!

Since it seems SW8 going to be pagan themed, how do you think it will affect Mutiny Bay or Katanga C (its a C not a K) Canyon, as long as it doesn't ruin the feel of courtyard tavern then I'm quite open to the idea! (and whatever way merlin can ruin it)

I've not watched the Wickerman so does this story fit with that?
Not particularly... Here's a quick summary:

Sergeant Howie (Edward Woodward) arrives on the small Scottish island of Summerisle to investigate the report of a missing child. A conservative Christian, the policeman observes the residents' frivolous sexual displays and strange pagan rituals, particularly the temptations of Willow (Britt Ekland), daughter of the island magistrate, Lord Summerisle (Christopher Lee). The more Sergeant Howie learns about the islanders' strange practices, the closer he gets to tracking down the missing child.

Not particularly... Here's a quick summary:

Sergeant Howie (Edward Woodward) arrives on the small Scottish island of Summerisle to investigate the report of a missing child. A conservative Christian, the policeman observes the residents' frivolous sexual displays and strange pagan rituals, particularly the temptations of Willow (Britt Ekland), daughter of the island magistrate, Lord Summerisle (Christopher Lee). The more Sergeant Howie learns about the islanders' strange practices, the closer he gets to tracking down the missing child.

A nice spoiler-free summary, but I must be picky and point out that Willow is the daughter of the tavern's landlord, not Lord Summerisle. ;)

To anyone who hasn't seen it, I highly recommend it, especially the extended director's cut. Just be ready for.... weird.

@electricBill I disagree with you on quite a lot but thoroughly enjoy the debate. I think your points are well thought out, We just have a different viewpoint.

100th page YAY!

Since it seems SW8 going to be pagan themed, how do you think it will affect Mutiny Bay or Katanga C (its a C not a K) Canyon, as long as it doesn't ruin the feel of courtyard tavern then I'm quite open to the idea! (and whatever way merlin can ruin it)
It will ruin both. I can't see any possible way this coaster will not completely dominate Mutiny Bay, the KC pathway and the last turn of the Rapids.

I'm really not bothered in the slightest about SW8 being visible from areas Katanga Canyon & Mutiny Bay. Sure it's not perfect but I think it definitely fits better than it would if it had been a steel coaster.

I'm really not bothered in the slightest about SW8 being visible from areas Katanga Canyon & Mutiny Bay. Sure it's not perfect but I think it definitely fits better than it would if it had been a steel coaster.
Agreed. I haven't seen it in person, but from pictures it looks just fine from both areas, it doesn't seem to ruin them at all. I'll see the coaster for myself in October but I can't see my opinion changing.

The whole point in KC is that it feels like it's a world away from the rest of the park, even though it's only a few yards behind Mutiny Bay. Towers is the only theme park in the UK that successfuly pulls off a decent amount of separation between areas. Disney spend millions trying to achieve this. Towers geography lends itsekf well to isolated and immersive themed areas. Without them, they might as well just build a collection of coasters on a disused car park somewhere.

The whole point in KC is that it feels like it's a world away from the rest of the park, even though it's only a few yards behind Mutiny Bay. Towers is the only theme park in the UK that successfuly pulls off a decent amount of separation between areas. Disney spend millions trying to achieve this. Towers geography lends itsekf well to isolated and immersive themed areas. Without them, they might as well just build a collection of coasters on a disused car park somewhere.

I get what you're saying, and to an extent I agree, but I really don't think that it clashes with KC that much having seen it in person. It will blend in even more once they've grown some new trees around it.

I'd put it in a new warehouse on the old coach park. Plenty of room there for a decent dark ride come Flume with final drop outside behind pizza pasta.

Gloomy Wood just needs a family flat like Quantum at Thorpe rethemed to a coffin or something to feel more complete.

All this of course would only be worth while if this new coaster and it's theme doesnt completely ruin the immersion of the themed areas around it. So far, its likely it's going to have a massively detrimental effect on KC and MB at least.

With even just a little bit of clever thinking a new flume could have been interwoven through SW8 (think Chiapas) as well as utilising the old footers in the woodland. We would then have had two brand new interacting family rides giving the park a second Katanga Canyon (which to this day is the bedrock of the family offering at Alton Towers).

SW8 is shaping up well but the whole plan reeks of missed opportunity - when you look at the size of the site including the woodland it is difficult to label this development as anything other than conservative.....pretty ironic given that the coaster in question is a woodie.

As far as Gloomy Wood is concerned the area is screaming out for a small round spinning flat ride which could be themed around a spider a bit like what they have at Legoland.

Alas with a marketing corporate ethos obsessed with 'compelling propositions' and a 'killer image' the park is doomed on its path to mediocrity.

Last edited:
With even just a little bit of clever thinking a new flume could have been interwoven through SW8 (think Chiapas) as well as utilising the old footers in the woodland. We would then have had two brand new interacting family rides giving the park a second Katanga Canyon (which to this day is the bedrock of the family offering at Alton Towers).

SW8 is shaping up well but the whole plan reeks of missed opportunity - when you look at the size of the site including the woodland it is difficult to label this development as anything other than conservative.....pretty ironic given that the coaster in question is a woodie.

As far as Gloomy Wood is concerned the area is screaming out for a small round spinning flat ride which could be themed around a spider a bit like what they have at Legoland.

Alas with a marketing corporate ethos obsessed with 'compelling propositions' and a 'killer image' the park is doomed on its path to mediocrity.

They wouldn't have got planning permission to do anything new in the woods. They had to make a big deal about returning the woods to natural use to get the coaster approved.

I agree that the theme choice is ridiculous, I think what they do will be better than we have had in a long time in terms of quality but I'm sick of dark themes that clash with their surroundings.

They wouldn't have got planning permission to do anything new in the woods. They had to make a big deal about returning the woods to natural use to get the coaster approved.

I agree that the theme choice is ridiculous, I think what they do will be better than we have had in a long time in terms of quality but I'm sick of dark themes that clash with their surroundings.
My thoughts too. Why not have something of a happy theme. Something up beat.
Oh no they have disturbed something in the woods .. again :rolleyes:

I love dark themes so Imma not gonna complain too much but for families I can see that it's getting a bit OTT. Dark themes should be at least restricted to attractions in Forbidden Valley, Gloomy Wood, X-Sector
& Dark Forest. The park will be called Alton Terrors before long :p

The park will be called Alton Terrors before long :p

I think the media has already got dibs on that name shortly after the Smiler crash :p

Here are some nice photos of the lift hill taken from Paul J FB page

Zu3pKEL.jpg

xrFd8ue.jpg

Dark themes don't bother me, it's a very dark and gothic park in a reasonably dark and gothic country, their's something very British about it all. It also depends on your definition of dark, X Sector is more sinister than "dark". The alternative themes are mainly clichés in my opinion. Whether the theme is coherent with its surroundings or not is much more important to me.

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.