• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

2018: Wicker Man - General Discussion - SPOILERS! - Part One

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
Randomly chiming in here so please excuse how off topic this is

I remember seeing something about a dark ride section on the ride as well as the pre-show, does anyone know anything about it? I'm assuming it'll be in the enclosed section before the first lift hill but i'm not sure

Randomly chiming in here so please excuse how off topic this is

I remember seeing something about a dark ride section on the ride as well as the pre-show, does anyone know anything about it? I'm assuming it'll be in the enclosed section before the first lift hill but i'm not sure
It looks like everything from the brake run back round to the station will be enclosed, so if there is any sort of dark ride section then it will be there, like the shed on Mystic Timbers.

If there is a dark ride section that's themed I have hope as the indoor section of saw at Thorpe is quite well themed and helps build up more tension.

It will be a minimally themed effort as ever. Might have fire for 1 season, then nothing.

As this supposedly has a budget of £15 million and GCIs are cheap to build, I can see a good chunk of it going on themeing.

Let's see... wood, fire, gas, pressurised cylinders, little kids and satanic symbols.

No, don't see how the Daily Mail can make anything sensationalist out of that!
I wondered that too. Something ironic about them building a ride of this nature with this theme at this time.

But then I thought, how many Daily Mail readers still visit AT anyway? With this kiddie from YouTube promoting it, this is likely being promoted in the basis that it will attract new visitors to the park rather than pulling back the haters of Christmas past.

I used to really like how the fish and chip shop (that burnt down) in FV had the Nemisis story on the wall.

How about Mutiny Bay becomes 'Mutiny Mooring' the pirates favourite mooring for taking on supplies. They head to local pub to stock up on grog (the bar at the courtyard - which I believe is staying with the new smokehouse?) And all the punters are whispering about mysterious goings on in the woods, fires late a night and villagers never coming back.

This could be done very neatly with some storyboards (old style newspapers maybe) around the smokehouse and surrounding area.

You're of course entitled to your opinion but really that would serve no purpose other than to make a backstory for enthusiasts. It's so dull when a ride theme is done via words on a screen, newspaper or poster, an amatearish trope Merlin uses too much I think. Instead of just designing something detailed and enjoyable.

The Nemesis story in the Fish & chips was pretty much wall fodder. (tbh Nemesis was deliberately designed not to have an explicit story anyway, it was only really enthusiasts years later who took the 'Legend' cassette tape and comic book too seriously)

All SW8 really needs is just a fun and creative theme that suits the ride experience, with a remodelling of the surroundings to not make the change from Mutiny Bay / Katanga Canyon jarring and out-of-place. That's what will excite the public and make it a fun experience. :)

Last edited:
As Bill says the Nemesis story started as a much simpler concept by Wardley so that all of the disparate design teams had an idea where to go as they developed the theme. Few roller coasters lend themselves to deep stories particularly when told so unimaginatively.

I don't think Towers are basing this ride on the films, and if the films didn't exist you could almost merge a pirate theme with a pagan theme (as the like of pirates of the Caribbean did many times) but by giving it a wickerman association you hit preconceived ideas which would limit the success of such a strategy if indeed they have one at all.

That said the area is conducive to a stand alone space for a theme so I come back to my main issue which is theming what is blatantly a family thrill ride with a dark theme. It didn't work on Th13teen, you end up suggesting major thrill when one isn't there pissing off the teens whilst putting off the families who actually the ride should be aimed at.

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.