• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

2018: Wicker Man - General Discussion - SPOILERS! - Part One

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
Is it me, or do some of us on here want this ride to fail? Watching that POV, I actually like it, looks to be a nice nifty looking ride, only thing that bothers me isn't the length, but the rather dull first drops unless this is where the secret element is going to be.

I am happy also that the ride is mutiny bay/Katanga canyon rather than forbidden valley. Spreads coaster distribution out
yeah, i think Katanga Canyon is the smallest area in the park at the moment, having only two rides, so I'll be pleased if SW8 gets added (and themed) to it.

I think that POV actually looks good and if the lift is a launch then it will make it even better. Yes it is a little short but all the coasters (except the smiler) are as short or shorter than that. I think that the layout looks like it will have quite a few bits of airtime which is something I feel is a little lacking at towers with Rita being the only ride with some decent air time. Also this will fill in a gap for family thrill in the line up. And if this is story based and themed well then this could be a very good ride and doesn't deserve all the negative we are seeing here we were never going to get something on a huge scale and this looks like it will be fun and fill in a much needed gap in the line up.

SW8 as it stands currently is going to be small, but the original SW8 plans weren't cross valley, and were going ahead until this time last year in forbidden valley, the cross valley was an impossibility, but if it weren't for towers pulling out themselves due to cost it would have been a thrill ride, most likely an RMC, it would have gone ahead, and most likely passed the plans (was heading that way with the EIA before it was pulled). It was due to exessive Rock removal (I believe around the overgrown nemesis extended queue). That increased the cost, and if it wasn't for that cost and other knock on effects of the smiler incident, it would have gone ahead on the council planning side of things.
Again the exact problem I'm talking about.

You are trying to compare the plan to a fantasy ride that doesn't actually exist. We never saw the plans for a FV coaster and saying "It was probably a thrill ride, it was probably bigger, it was probably an RMC, it would have gone ahead on the council planning side of things" is all just speculation.

If they had gone ahead with a FV coaster everyone would probably be saying "It's a shame they didn't go for the huge Katanga Coaster that was planned".

I don't get this attitude (not aimed at any one person) of "it's OK that it's short because all the park's other coasters are short".
May as well say "it's OK that this politician is a lying scumbag because all of them are lying scumbags".

I don't get this attitude (not aimed at any one person) of "it's OK that it's short because all the park's other coasters are short".
May as well say "it's OK that this politician is a lying scumbag because all of them are lying scumbags".
I think "it's ok that it's short" is not really the right way to think about it, at least what I was saying is that "it's not surprising that it's short".

I'd love huge rollercoasters as much as the next guy, but what I mentioned is that we know the restrictions faced by the park, and therefore we know that rides are going to be terrain hugging and small compared to elsewhere. And fundamentally this problem is what led to Nemesis being what it became, so it doesn't always have to be bad news.

I would love the local authorities to let up and allow Alton Towers to thrive, benefit the local economy, and build fantasy sized rollercoasters too, but I won't hold my breath for that day :)

I know what you mean, but I'm not sure that's the point.

it's OK that it's short because all the park's other coasters are short and still manage to be some of the best in the world

Some of them manage to be world class, yes. Namely Nemesis and Oblivion. I'd hardly call Rita one of the "best in the world" ;)

I like the fact that Alton Towers are going for a family coaster, as others have said, I just hope they market it as such.

I wouldn't be surprised to see a clone of the Krake theme for this ride.

That's not a bad shout I can see that happening, it's not like Merlin don't have past reputation of copying ideas and themes over.

Looks ok.... Unsure about the first drop / tunnel

Expect to see something in there that will make the ride. Seems very 13 to me. Not enough and not living up to potential

Like I said in the last topic, I can see Alton going for thrill, family/thrill, thrill, family thrill etc. Which I don't see as a bad thing as long as the marketing is aimed at the right audience.

I think the tunnel would work if it's heavily themed, it would be nice if there will some hidden element included.

Just going to put this out there.

I couldn't care less about a hidden/new/secret/any-adjective-here element.

AMEN!

Just build a decent coaster with a decent layout and without a gimmick. It's not THAT hard surely? As it stands currently, this does not appear to be a good layout for a thrilling coaster...this is surely for families

T
Again the exact problem I'm talking about.

You are trying to compare the plan to a fantasy ride that doesn't actually exist. We never saw the plans for a FV coaster and saying "It was probably a thrill ride, it was probably bigger, it was probably an RMC, it would have gone ahead on the council planning side of things" is all just speculation.

If they had gone ahead with a FV coaster everyone would probably be saying "It's a shame they didn't go for the huge Katanga Coaster that was planned".

True, apart from why it was cancelled, and the speech from the TT meet it is all speculation, and that talk was probably not the best idea on Towers side as it got the majority dreaming (including me).

Just a shame a matter of weeks affected it :( I do think the plans may return in the future, as it was hinted at they weren't just thrown away. I just want a decent thrill woodie which has the out of control feeling without trying to break my spinal chord in this country, and I don't think a family ride is the right choice at the moment. Families seem to be heaving at towers, it's the young adult and thrill seeker market which isn't pulling people in, so I feel like the original SW8 would be better now, with a family ride in the future. I don't feel like they should've marketed it as a Secret Weapon when it looks to be a weaker ride in coaster terms (ride on its own) than thirteen and Rita in my opinion, if they had used a different tag line such as "Fantastic Family Ride" (just a bad example :p ) it would have been received better, the SW tag line isn't a thing that should be overused, when it is, it becomes a let down.

I just hope if it does get an lower than expected reception it doesn't put towers off another woodie/hybrid, the thrill woodie is the only coaster missing for me.

I think this being aimed at families is simply because (as has been discussed extensively in other topics) there is a huge gap in the line up for people too old for CBeebies and too small/ scared for nemesis etc especially with the recent ride closures. Towers need something with a small height restriction and not too intimidating but still fun. This looks like that too me (unless they put people off the family ride by making the theme too intimidating a la Th13teen)

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.