• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

2018: Wicker Man - General Discussion - SPOILERS! - Part One

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
Do I think this will be the best coaster in the world? No. Do I think this will finally be the coaster to beat Nemesis? No. Do I think that this will be an excellent family roller coaster, similar to Thirteen? Yes. I don't think Merlin/Alton were really aiming to beat Nemesis with this ride. I think that they were more looking to pad out the park's family lineup and fill the void of a wooden coaster. Also, I think this ride will be quite good because what I'm gathering from not having ridden a GCI before is that they are sort of like the B&M of the wooden coaster world in that they aren't necessarily the most innovative option out there right now, but you know that you are getting a good, solid roller coaster when you buy from them.

Now the next thing I'm worried about is whether or not it turns out like this in 4 or 5 years time:

Unfortunately, I never had the pleasure of riding Gwazi, but I think I have quite a good idea of what it was like judging by the sounds Robb is making throughout this video.

Do I think that this will be an excellent family roller coaster, similar to Thirteen? Yes.

Thirteen is a dreadful coaster. It is very poorly designed (unplanned trims on first drop) and meanders about doing forceless nothing. It is incredibly poor even for a kiddie ride. Then it does its drop and reverse magic brilliantly, if less theatrically than I think it should and could have been.

My issue there, and concern with SW8, is why does the coaster supporting the trick have to be so poor? Assuming SW8 has a trick or surprise somewhere along the line why is that supported with a coaster that is short and quite dull? Family thrill can be better than this.

Thirteen is a dreadful coaster. It is very poorly designed (unplanned trims on first drop) and meanders about doing forceless nothing. It is incredibly poor even for a kiddie ride. Then it does its drop and reverse magic brilliantly, if less theatrically than I think it should and could have been.

My issue there, and concern with SW8, is why does the coaster supporting the trick have to be so poor? Assuming SW8 has a trick or surprise somewhere along the line why is that supported with a coaster that is short and quite dull? Family thrill can be better than this.
how do you know its going to be dull, its not build yet o_O

I guess it's a matter of personal opinion really, because I personally really enjoy Thirteen both as a family coaster and as an experience. The ride feels relatively fast through the forest and you get some good airtime over the first drop when sitting in the back row. (Bear in mind I haven't really ridden much else, I've only done 39 creds.)

Back on to SW8, I built a sort of accurate recreation of the ride's layout in Planet Coaster the other day. The ride reached a maximum speed of 49mph and was around 2700ft long, just as a bearing of what the ride's stats could be like. I did take the terrain into mind when I built said recreation and the ride's trains were 12 cars long, if that changes anything with regards to speed.

how do you know its going to be dull, its not build yet o_O

The plans?! As I'm sure most have here, I've ridden a fair amount of woodies, and if they're building what's on the plans (they are!) it appears to be an underwhelming coaster. Not exciting, not interesting, not long... Dull!
I'm not entirely negative, I'm hugely glad a new woodie is coming, I'm sure it'll be a bit of fun for what it is, but I don't think it's a bad thing for enthusiasts to want and expect more than this.

I have to say that whilst this will not be the best ride in the world, I don't think it will be dull at all. The layout seems to have a good variation of forces with some decent laterals, positive Gs as well as a few airtime moments. There will also be several great head choppers with the theming element.

A GCI coaster is exactly what the park needs right now! As a wooden coaster it fills a massive gap in the park's lineup and GCIs are generally reliable and smooth now that the new Millenium Flyer trains have been introduced. The park also desperately needed another lap bar coaster that is bigger than RMT.

Cant believe people are saying its going to be a boring dull ride before it has even opened!!!!!!

And as for Thirteen - while it may have been a let down for us enthusiasts, it is liked by the teenage audience it was designed for.

Lets at least wait for it to open and ride the thing before deciding what we think of it eh!

Reactions: pj
So basically, some little roof has been put on a hut and the main element is still covered up. I suppose the look of that roofy thing could give an indication of things though?

This theming strucure, whatever it turns out to be, is going to be absolutely massive! I really cannot wait to see the finished product.

:)

Leaving that horn looking part uncovered has to be deliberate on the builders' part, knowing it would get photographed. Just missing a bit of music to go with it.

Think I might have a drive to Alton tomorrow and see if anything is not covered up. The kiddies are back at school now so the place should be bearable again.

Have we decided that it's defo a Wicker Man type ride now then?

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.