• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

2018: Wicker Man - General Discussion - SPOILERS! - Part One

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
Its a rollercoaster, and by the looks of it a good themed coaster. All this whining about it being "controversial for families" due to the lore surrounding the ride is utter chicken crap.

Don't see any whining here, just concern that there could be some negative reaction. Some people do get their knickers in a twist with things like this, which skirt around folklore and religion. Protests a couple of years ago when a Baphomet statue was unveiled. That might be those crazy Americans, and most people here are better adjusted than to be bothered by such things, but the chronically deluded and professionally offended on behalf of others do like to get involved in things like this, especially when our press will take any opportunity to try and whip up a bit of outrage at our parks.

Given that our esteemed press got 2 days of headlines and front covers out of Cadbury sponsoring a chocolate egg hunt earlier in the year, spending 5 seconds worrying about their reaction to something you're doing is 5 seconds wasted.

The reason I worry about the theme, is not because it offends me. (I'm quite looking forward to it)

Its because it will start another big media scandal, then the extremist Christians will get involved and force them to change it.
Then we won't have ANY theme! (And I doubt they will stop at sw8)

I mean, it wouldn't be the 1st time (asylum at Thorpe park)

I was at Towers yesterday and oh my, that theming structure is massive. I have no idea how they've got away with building such a thing, it currently dominates sight lines across the park from various locations. Admittedly this impact will be less once all of the covers have been taken down but even so.

Unfortunately I left my camera in the car (doh) but got a few photos on my phone that I'll try and upload at some point.

Also, there is more rockwork being done in the form of a tall wall near the statio building, covering up previously exposed concrete. They are actually doing things properly!

:)
What do you mean, dominates the skyline, how far into the park can you see it?

I don't know how to put this in my previous post, but any mods, feel free to help out.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was at Towers yesterday and oh my, that theming structure is massive. I have no idea how they've got away with building such a thing, it currently dominates sight lines across the park from various locations. Admittedly this impact will be less once all of the covers have been taken down but even so.

Unfortunately I left my camera in the car (doh) but got a few photos on my phone that I'll try and upload at some point.

Also, there is more rockwork being done in the form of a tall wall near the statio building, covering up previously exposed concrete. They are actually doing things properly!

The fact there's theming going elsewhere sounds really promising.

What do you mean, dominates the skyline, how far into the park can you see it?

I don't know how to put this in my previous post, but any mods, feel free to help out.

It can be seen from areas such as the start of the Rapid's queue and when going up The Smiler's first lift. In that respect it is unlike any other theming at Alton Towers!

Also - I have merged your two posts together but you can use the MultiQuote function to insert quotes from other posts below what you have already written in the message box.

I can't help thinking the layout of the queue looks a bit odd in places, could we maybe be seeing smaller theming items all throughout the queue and the overall area? I mean I'm assuming the main station is supposed to be an actual building of sorts rather than just a station, so maybe we could see smaller buildings dotted around the place? Plus wasn't there 2 large theming structures on the plans? Anyone know anything about the second?

I can't help thinking the layout of the queue looks a bit odd in places, could we maybe be seeing smaller theming items all throughout the queue and the overall area? I mean I'm assuming the main station is supposed to be an actual building of sorts rather than just a station, so maybe we could see smaller buildings dotted around the place? Plus wasn't there 2 large theming structures on the plans? Anyone know anything about the second?

As far as I am aware it's not happening. It was not present when Alton Towers submitted further details to the council about the main theming object.

For all the bitching about Merlin, they have now implemented two absolutely huge theming elements in The Marmaliser and now The Wickerman.

It will be interesting to see how the finishings and smaller details of SW8 turn out since it's being built in good time without half of the ground sliding out from under it.

I can't help but notice the glaring lack of any follow up to that SW8 video...THING...I was quite looking forward to round 2, think we scared em off?

I believe they were filming the second video earlier this week, then they may need to wrap up any additional studio filming with the cringefesters. I imagine it'll be in the editing stage with a release in before Scarefest.

TowersTimes have posted an update showing the installation of the top section of the theming structure, the addition of themed rockwork by the station and ongoing track work across the site.

2ujqedl.jpg

Do we have any idea what that circular 'footer' is for?

xaxaw9.jpg

Good to see the concrete wall is getting themed. Never thought something like that would be exciting!

Last edited:
I'm impressed with the detail on the theming so far, thats even not seeing the main theming structure yet.

This could be their most atmospheric ride to date. Nemesis aside, nothing can compete with an almost quarry being dug.

Last edited:
I'm impressed with the detail on the theming so far, thats even not seeing the main theming structure yet.

This could be their most atmospheric ride to date. Nemesis aside, nothing can compete with an almost quarry being dug.
It looks awesome, I just wonder at what point merlin will screw it up

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.