• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

2018: Wicker Man - General Discussion - SPOILERS! - Part One

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
Well they are changing the courtyard to a posh looking food outlet. So it fits

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

Apologies if I have already posted this idea, can't remember if I have or not! However I would not object to a re-name and very minor re-theme of Mutiny Bay next year. The area could become Alton Harbour, which has been mentioned in the description of The Welcoming. Pretty much all of the existing rides, buildings and theming would fit in with this theme and SW8 would fit without need any sort of pirate narrative. I just feel it would really bring everything together for a very low cost.
Read the description again, it roughly says
"the woods around Alton, harbour a dark secret"
Its just really badly written!

Ah so it does, I only skim read it before hence my confusion. Even so I still like the idea and think that it could work well.

:)

The woods surrounding the village of Alton harbour a mysterious group, which until recent sightings were unseen by the modern world. Whispers around the village say that the group are angered by people abusing the world’s natural resources and the rapid advance of technology. Every year the secluded group host a festival to celebrate their own interpretation of Halloween – paying homage to the earth and celebrating the crossover between the living world and the dead. The group have recently infiltrated the Alton Towers Resort and for the first time are allowing outsiders to celebrate with them. But what part will you (‘the outsiders’) play in this ritual? Is this really an initiation?

Nope, Definately refences to Alton Harbour being an area.

Personally I would like to see Mutiny Bay retheme to Alton Harbour, It would be as easy as changing the signage, much like Transuvania(Can't spell it) to Wild Woods. An area named 'Alton Harbour' also sounds uniaue and not just your generic Pirate theme park area.

Anyway I think Mutiny Bay is due a retheme as next year it would be as old as it was when it was Merrie England.

Last edited:
Nope, Definately refences to Alton Harbour being an area.

It doesn't. The word harbour refers to the group. i.e-the woods harbour a mysterious group, and the woods surround the village of Alton.

It could well be a hint to an Alton Harbour theme, but the text does not reference Alton Harbour being an area. (The text you have quoted adds a capital H onto harbour that is not there in the original.)

Last edited:
Reactions: D4n
It really doesn't. The word harbour refers to the group. i.e-the woods harbour a mysterious group, and the woods surround the village of Alton.

It could well be a hint to an Alton Harbour theme, but the text does not reference Alton Harbour being an area. (The text you have quoted adds a capital H onto harbour that is not there in the original.)

Sssh, No one was supposed to notice that change. :rolleyes:

Correct.

I agree it's written in poor prose. The verb 'to harbour' (i.e. to hide) as opposed to the noun 'the harbour'.

Mutiny Bay could be renamed to 'Alton Towers Village'. Still pretty much no changes would need to be made to the existing area.

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

Personally I would like to see Mutiny Bay retheme to Alton Harbour, It would be as easy as changing the signage, much like Transuvania(Can't spell it) to Wild Woods.

Errm, you have seen the abomination that is so called "Wild Woods" right? It makes Ug Land to Dark Forest look like an extensive retheme.

While the meaning of the sentence does refer to the woods having within them this group of people, it could well be a hint as to a re-theme of the area. I personally would not be surprised to see Mutiny Bay and Katanga Canyon combined to form Altonville. Mutiny Bay becoming a Harbour type area so Battle Galleons, Heave Ho and Shark-bait reef would fit in. With Runaway Mine Train maybe becoming Altonville Mine Train.

I personally think that Alton Harbour is a really good idea for a theme! What I love about this idea is that the pirate theming of Mutiny Bay and SW8's cult worship/Pagan theming could coexist together in harmony much better than Mutiny Bay and the Flume ever did. Even if something like this doesn't happen, I still think that Mutiny Bay will at least see some sort of change in direction with regards to theming, if not a full re-theme. Ladyofthelake over on TowersTimes Forum has said that she thinks that Alton are deemphasising the pirate theme of the area with the courtyard redevelopment and the stage removal, and I think she may be right, because the new restaurant plans do not really lend themselves to a pirate theme.

I was also having a think about what the USP could be. I was only thinking that because John Wardley once said in a Q&A that for an attraction to be granted permission to be built by Nick Varney, it needs a compelling proposition (USP) and a killer image. Then, I suddenly had a thought that the lift hill could be the USP, because as far as I'm aware, no other roller coaster has a lift hill that changes ascent angle midway up like this one. Not that the GP are interested in an angle changing lift hill, but I wouldn't put it past the Alton marketing team after "the world's first roller coaster fully dedicated to virtual reality". It would also be quite funny if this was the USP, because instead of keeping everything secret and letting rumours build, like with past SWs, they would have literally been dangling the USP right in front of us and no one would have noticed. The only reason I'm thinking the lift hill's angle change could even be a USP is because the rumours of a launched lift hill look to have gone the same way as the Smiler washing machine rumour (Yes, I do read through past topics sometimes!) On the other hand, I'm not sure if there's even going to be a USP with this project, as none of the marketing seems to hint towards one.

Finally, I'd just like to say that I think that this could surprise a lot of people in 2018. Do I think that this will better Blackpool's efforts? In terms of coaster, probably not. In terms of theming and immersion, probably. I feel that even if this doesn't beat Icon, it will still be a great family ride that will be loved by many theme park enthusiasts. I'm optimistic that Merlin has listened to criticism and put in time and effort with this development. Not that Merlin's past coasters at Alton haven't had time and effort put into them, but I think this could be on another level compared to past Merlin rides. Also, I'm staggered at how much my thoughts on what the ride would be have changed since the plans were released in 2016. Here's what I thought then and what I thought now:
Then
Theme: Pirate theme
Area: Mutiny Bay
USP: World's first launched inverting woodie
Now
Theme: Tribal/cult worship theme
Area: Re-themed/re-imagined Mutiny Bay
USP: Honestly don't know if there's going to be one

What do you guys think of my theories? I apologise for the long post, but I just had so much I wanted to say.

The shipping containers laced with powdered awful must have gotten lost in transit or something...
I'm shocked at how well this is going so far
(Although, the scare maze does not bode well)

Think this might be...(dare I say)...not a complete and utter cataclysmic disaster?

This time...

I remeber seeing that about the usp and killer image too, but maybe profit is more important now. I think the welcoming soundtrack would fit perfectly with an Alton harbour retheme!

The shipping containers laced with powdered awful must have gotten lost in transit or something...
I'm shocked at how well this is going so far
(Although, the scare maze does not bode well)

Think this might be...(dare I say)...not a complete and utter cataclysmic disaster?

This time...
What was wrong with Alton's other two Merlin coasters? (well, other than The Smiler's delays.)

This time...

Sounds like the Scotland football team's chances every time trying to qualify for a tournament. :p

But seriously, I hope we get a trouble free ride for once.

68aalw.jpg

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.