• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

2018: Wicker Man - General Discussion - SPOILERS! - Part One

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
I'll never understand why people think a flume is essential. Sure, they can be good. But I'd hardly say all parks need one. If every park had the same line up of rides the world would be a very boring place.

That's not to say that a new water ride of some kind would be a bad thing, of course. But it would need to be more than just a trough winding through some trees. A water ride needs to be a themed masterpiece to stand out these days, where the transit system is almost incidental to the story being told. There is a lot more to water rides than just "up, down, splash".

Indeed. Disneyland Paris doesn't have anything that does up down splash, as for them being a year-round park is more important.

Well everyone is predicting the launch goes straight into that first drop, what if it does a sort of big banked turn off the launch first?

It would make sense that a launch could be in the sound tunnel, because unless there is some speed or something thrilling up there then there is no need for a sound tunnel.
Although there could be some audio speakers in there maybe with music or speech in there which could possibly be what the sound tunnel is for.

Nearly finished:
26919224073_d15616b3c0_h.jpg

With all the sound walls and the sound tunnel, it's going to be one odd looking woodie!

So just throwing a few more thoughts as I'm currently at Europa Park and am feeling Wodan is now my number one coaster at the park.

Woodies can be many things; tall, fast, long, short, smooth, rough, exciting and bland. I've ridden wooden coasters that fit all of those and yet they all have something in common. I'm no expert of course, but I look at Wodan and realise...

They're expensive to maintain, much more so than any steel coaster. Manufacturers can do only so much for a woodie, but it is essentially down to maintenance as to how the ride runs after 2, 5 and 10 years. Alton Towers must surely consider this in their planning - a huge woodie would mean much bigger aftercare. I'd rather have a ride that runs consistently well over the years than something that is outstanding at its opening and then awful in five years time. Anaconda at Walygator was so bad it made me hysterical with laughter, as was Bandit at Movie Park Germany. Look at all the woodies that have been RMC'd or retracked by GCI out of necessity, or even just closed/removed because they became so terrible.

There is physically a lot more structure to them, and there is so much more that could impact on the ride experience (Wodan has been WHOAdan all this week because it's hot, but it can be SLOWdan when it's cold).

For the park, SW8 being small may not only be initial budget and planning considerations, but the projected cost over a 10 year period. In this respect, with the hammering the place has taken the last year, I can see why it's of a smaller scale than we had hoped.

We was told by an EP staff member that GCI woodies need their topper track replacing every 5 years to stop it becoming rough. I've been on an American GCI which hasn't had its topper replaced and it wasn't very good. Troy isn't anywhere near as good as it used to be either

Many years ago I went on The Antelope at Gulliver's World, which I believe is a wooden roller coaster. I remember it being an enjoyable experience, and I was impressed at how smooth it felt given that it was wooden. Has anyone else been on it? (I am aware that Gulliver's World is primarily for children!).

I remember a while back saying when I went on Gwazi the year it opened and a few years after. Loved that ride... But I have been told it was rough as hell by the end.

Problem with Gwazi, it made you feel like you were still on the ride 10 mins after you got off. The ride was superb when I went on both sides in 2001.

What Alton need to make sure of is that they don't let this woodie age like they have with some of their steel coasters. It would become a dog in no time if don't.

Indeed. Disneyland Paris doesn't have anything that does up down splash, as for them being a year-round park is more important.

Pirates of the Caribbean?

Asides from several days during Scarefest and Fireworks the three months over the summer are the busiest time of year for Alton Towers when most people visit therefore water rides are definitely a must for a park of its size.

Personally I loathe any ride that does anything more than splash you slightly but I know they have a place in decent theme parks. A log flume as such is not necessarily essential, after all they are a pretty dated ride system now, but some kind of water based transit ride is surely needed in the future.

Yes, getting a woodie is great, but overall the park is fast becoming pretty variety-less - just about every flat in the park is gone with the remaining not far behind, there is but one decent dark ride and the only proper water ride is a tired jaded Rapids.

The solution is obvious - bulldoze Charlie and build a family dark ride and water ride in one with indoor and outdoor sections offering fun drops that get you wet but not too wet. Sadly the likely outcome is the existing dull transit system will be re themed into some lame children's IP.

@CoasterCrazyChris while I agree that the family line up is fast diminishing, I have to say woodies can be family if they're done right. Something small and compact as the plans we've seen could do that, I just hope the inversions don't come to light.

On a different note.. The bigger the woodie, the more maintenance needed. The more maintenance needed, the more costly (obvious). Skipping maintenance SEVERELY detriments the ride experience, clearly we can all attest to this!! A tight and well budgeted maintenance programme has to be key to this investment for the park's sake to ensure ride longevity.

So just throwing a few more thoughts as I'm currently at Europa Park and am feeling Wodan is now my number one coaster at the park.

In the Ladies!! I'm not jealous at all :p

Oh how I love Wodan so, I have to wait until next year to be reunited with Roland's love wood. :(

Are you going to Mandy Land next month?

For me I don't care about gimmicks or the size. Just theme it properly, I'm sure we'll still whinge no matter what Merlin does but a good theme will make a poor ride better and vice versa.

Take Cu Culliann(sp?) the first drop and the bank are pretty special and memorable, the rest of the coaster is bland and certainly feels like the coaster has just been plonked in a car park. The only bit of theming is a giant He-Man with a dog above the queue entrance. In the middle of the coaster is just a block of concrete with weeds everywhere and the outside is just like construction site. I would have been a bit more forgiving if at least the middle of the coaster had some theme. Like Joris, with its dragon.

For me I don't care about gimmicks or the size. Just theme it properly, I'm sure we'll still whinge no matter what Merlin does but a good theme will make a poor ride better and vice versa.

Take Cu Culliann(sp?) the first drop and the bank are pretty special and memorable, the rest of the coaster is bland and certainly feels like the coaster has just been plonked in a car park. The only bit of theming is a giant He-Man with a dog above the queue entrance. In the middle of the coaster is just a block of concrete with weeds everywhere and the outside is just like construction site. I would have been a bit more forgiving if at least the middle of the coaster had some theme. Like Joris, with its dragon.

I love Cu Chulainn but I so agree that it could use a lot of theming. The entrance way is nice but after that it really is just a coaster on some concrete and wasteland. Neighbouring a car park and piles of rubble doesn't help.

Hopefully Alton put some good theming elements in SW8.

That's one thing you can count on with Merlin, they have all the intentions in the world for theming but just fall short at the final furlong.

Hopefully they will use this time to acually get it right. At least at this point they won't go down the European route and open the ride with concrete boxes where theming will be added later. Well if we take smiler out of the equation.

Thats incredible considering its purely off the plans! That lift hill & sound tunnels ain't half gonna look weird though! On that note, are the sound tunnels not going to be open on the south facing side toward the park a-la california screaming? It would make more sense and look a bit better too!

:)

Many years ago I went on The Antelope at Gulliver's World, which I believe is a wooden roller coaster. I remember it being an enjoyable experience, and I was impressed at how smooth it felt given that it was wooden. Has anyone else been on it? (I am aware that Gulliver's World is primarily for children!).

The Antelope is a nice coaster; but its really out of place in Gullivers; which is targetted at pre schoolers and infants IMHO.

I remember queueing for something
Ike 3/4 of an hour for the log flume there. I finally got my seat; it went up the incline, around the corner and down with a splash and we were back at the station probably in under a minute!! I hadn't realised if I had just walked around the corner, the whole circuit was visible in its "glory" and had been expecting a trip through the forest like Alton Towers flume (RIP).

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.