• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

2018: Wicker Man - General Discussion - SPOILERS! - Part One

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
Did the plans specify what was going to happen to the concrete structure next to the lift hill?

Also, are we to assume the talk about them testing it successfully was true, given that they've seemingly started to tunnel in the first drop?
I'm presuming the talk of testing was true, as the ECC is a trusted source and multiple other people said it was testing.

On a side note, is it just me, or have they painted some of the wood on the sound tunnel over the first drop in the same colour as the station building? If they have, then I'm not sure if I'm a fan of that colour against the golden brown wood. It looks nice for the station and other buildings, but I'm not sure about it for the tunnels. On a more positive note, I suppose it backs up what I said earlier in the thread about them really focusing on the finer details with this project.

That Ram head looks friggin awesome and that's from the aerial photo. Being on ground level that's gonna be one imposing beaut.

2WMcBu0.jpg

Can now see the grills where the flames will rise from (squared in red). Is it me or does the statue look like he's having a stroke?

Photo credit to UAVNinja

VugZzG2.jpg

Also, the entrance feature looks rather minimalist and the sign is covered in tarpaulin. However, it may well could not be finished yet.

It's looking good so far! The queue fencing looks much more detailed than on any other Towers attraction, the theming element looks great, the entrance, while a tad minimalistic, looks great for what it is and really fits with the vibe; the list of positives doesn't end with this project when compared with past ones at Alton Towers! Even though it's more of a family ride, which is probably the only negative from our point of view. It's not even that much of a negative! I love a good family coaster! But I'd now like to point out a few stray observations and ask a few questions:
  • Is it just me, or does it look as though you go back outside after the pre-show before you reach the station? I hope not, as I think it would ruin the immersion a bit.
  • The area seems far more open than when the Flume was there. Great!
  • That solitary Mutiny Bay-themed Ben & Jerry's stand now looks a bit lonely without the Mexican Cantina there. They also look to have removed the seating area and the paving, which is interesting to say the least. I do think that they should have themed this in the style of the SW8 buildings (aka dark green wood), but this is just me being ultra-picky.
  • Is the SW8 path going to be open again next season?
  • The ride actually looks quite good and thrilling from the aerial view! My optimism levels have risen slightly for the ride itself!
  • The ride seems to continue the Merlin trend of having one dominant theming element (e.g. Smiler: The Marmaliser, Galactica: The Portal, SW8: The Wicker Man thingy that hasn't been named yet), which isn't necessarily a bad thing, as this theming element looks great!
So, in conclusion, my current thoughts on the project: Great! If my only criticism theming-wise so far is that they haven't rethemed the Ben & Jerry's stand, then my message to Merlin is: You're doing great with SW8 so far! Now get the closed rides open again (Toadstool & Sub Terra) and 2018 could be a winning season for Alton! I think this, while probably not the best ride in the park, will be a solid family coaster for all ages, like Thirteen.

On a side note, I'm surprised at the sudden influx of aerial photos. Now all we need is an aerial testing video. Have you got any drones handy from Smiler, TowersTimes? Although soon, Alton Towers will probably be like this to anyone who dares fly a helicopter or drone over the park (Skip to 1:05):

On a final side note, I don't think this will be the best ride in the park, even though this post might imply I do. I reckon the highest this ride will possibly come is 3rd behind Nemmy and Smiler.
P.S. Sorry for the long post.

I think the pathway opening will be doubtful because it has been prepared to resume being a service road.
Ah right. I suppose it's not really needed now the Katanga pathway is back. It offered some interesting views of the coaster, though. Would be a shame to not be able to snap some photos of those views when the ride is open.

Ah right. I suppose it's not really needed now the Katanga pathway is back. It offered some interesting views of the coaster, though. Would be a shame to not be able to snap some photos of those views when the ride is open.

I agree with you, subject to one condition: it'd be queue jumpers paradise with that pathway being there.

I agree with you, subject to one condition: it'd be queue jumpers paradise with that pathway being there.
But I thought they had the high wooden fence still there? I don't think many queue jumpers would be able to scale a 6ft wooden fence!

Quick question, whats that structure next to the bottom end of the lifthill? I don't remember seeing that on the plans

I somewhat doubt that'd get in the way of the sort of people who queue jump.
Also, wasn't the Flume's queue also running up against the same road? And that worked fine for 34 years with a much lower fence. I don't disagree with you @WickerManiac, I'm just curious as to how you think queue jumping will be bad.

Quick question, whats that structure next to the bottom end of the lifthill? I don't remember seeing that on the plans
I think it's some sort of building to store the lift mechanics.
EDIT: Sorry for double posting!

Also, wasn't the Flume's queue also running up against the same road? And that worked fine for 34 years with a much lower fence. I don't disagree with you @WickerManiac, I'm just curious as to how you think queue jumping will be bad.

It was yes - but that pathway didn't exist and was exclusively a service road for employees only! Pre-SW8 you coudn't walk anywhere near the back-end of The Flume's queueline.

It was yes - but that pathway didn't exist and was exclusively a service road for employees only! Pre-SW8 you coudn't walk anywhere near the back-end of The Flume's queueline.
I suppose so! I never even thought of that!

The Skyride is definitely going to continue as the best place to view the ride from. Just as long as you get one of the two remaining cars with windows that have avoided the Freddy Kruger treatment.

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.