• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

2018: Wicker Man - General Discussion - SPOILERS! - Part One

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
Do you know something about the ride that the rest of us don't? Have you ridden it? Because it sure as hell looks like the wooden coaster I've wanted for the park. From a purely observational standpoint, the ride looks to be exactly what the park could do with right now. A moderately thrilling family coaster that will almost certainly provide the most airtime out of any other coaster in the park (but that's not saying much). Don't get me wrong, I think the ride looks short but that's pretty much my only quarrel with the layout without having ridden it. And in relation to my so called "love-fest" with Merlin, I do apologise for seeing the bits of good that the company have managed to do over the years.

It's not your fault that you havn't been around this forum long, but if you had, you'd be aware that the woodie most people were after would have been the cross-valley woodie. That's just a fact. Don't get upset if you state something different and then get called out on it. Not saying that you are upset, you're probably not.

It's not your fault that you havn't been around this forum long, but if you had, you'd be aware that the woodie most people were after would have been the cross-valley woodie. That's just a fact. Don't get upset if you state something different and then get called out on it. Not saying that you are upset, you're probably not.
Haven't people here been saying for a while now that towers need something to fill the gap? That's exactly what SW8 does.

Sent from my Swift 2 X using Tapatalk

Ok, perhaps my wording should've been better when it came to calling it the woodie everyone wanted, I can respect that it's not. However, the woodie that people did want wasn't viable. I'm assuming the one you describe is the one Wardley describes in his autobiography, the one that was not viable in any way, shape or form due to planning restrictions and the local community detesting the project. The marketing excuse was clearly just the easiest excuse for them not building the coaster at the time.

Ok, perhaps my wording should've been better when it came to calling it the woodie everyone wanted, I can respect that it's not. However, the woodie that people did want wasn't viable. I'm assuming the one you describe is the one Wardley describes in his autobiography, the one that was not viable in any way, shape or form due to planning restrictions and the local community detesting the project. The marketing excuse was clearly just the easiest excuse for them not building the coaster at the time.

Thank you sir. I respect your thoughtful and reasonable reply :)

I consider myself an enthusiastic... and I'm not disappointed so far. I think people are writing this off far too early. I think it is way too early to say that Icon will be the better coaster. I think Icon could be better for thrill seakers but SW8 could be more fun.

I'm glad we are getting both. Personally, I think Nemmie will remain the King (yet again) but will reserve judgement until I have ridden them all.

Last edited:
I think it's stupid to be disappointed until you've ridden the thing in all honesty. It's like trying to review a movie after seeing a bad trailer for it. Except for the sake of conserving context for my metaphor, this trailer is pretty good.

Has any one see the Alton Towers TV add today advertising Hotel bookings?

It mentions new world first Rollercoater

If my information is correct, it dose have a surprise secret element I posted a hint back on page 143

I still think that there will be more to this ride than meets the eye. Like a secret surprise element.

If on opening day next year I'm right, I will quote this post with gloat, if not I will bury my head in the sand and forget about this post.

If my information is correct, it dose have a surprise secret element I posted a hint back on page 143
I've not seen it but it's a bit weird they would go from saying world class to world's first.

Sent from my Swift 2 X using Tapatalk

Just to be clear and honest, I am far from writing off this project, I'm just not getting overly excited about it. I've seen the aerial photos and I've walked past it many times last year (still feels strange saying last year). As a piece it looks really really good on the eye. Much better than I expected from the plans. It's a lovely piece of construction. The last time I saw them, even the nearby buildings that were going up seemed to look absolutely fine next to the coaster itself. I'm absolutely sure (unless something goes wrong) that this will be a good family ride for Towers and will be enjoyable. I'm pretty confident that I'll be enjoying it myself, hopefully with my niece and nephew in several years time also. It's just not the ultimate woodie that the thrill-seekers wanted. It's absolutely fine to accept that.

I won't be visiting regardless? I haven't renewed my MAP this year because of the endless restrictions and don't find their RTP as value for money anymore - the decrease in quality is too sheer to warrant the fee. I am therefore saving my money and putting it towards a visit to Blackpool to ride Icon and perhaps a Europa Park trip at some stage.

A small, wooden family coaster is not enough to tempt me back unfortunately.
So tell me this... If a small 'family' wooden coaster isn't enough to tempt you back, then why is your profile pic the supposed logo of this said 'small family wooden coaster'. And your user name 'WikerManiac' suggests to me your more than happy to give into their prices. It seems pretty pointless of you to comment on something you think doesn't 'tempt' you.

I'm optimistic that this is sort of a trial run for a large scale woodie. If this ride is a success with the GP, suffers no major mechanical issues within the first season of operation and has good throughput (which it seems to hypothetically have), then who knows, maybe SW9 will be a nice surprise and Merlin will give us the woodie us lot want. Unlikely but entirely possible.

If they have managed to create a legitimate world's first into this coaster despite being built under our beadie eyes for the last 12 months ,(and I think they may have done exactly that), then I will be the first to bow before your greatness Royjess!

I generally believe that the closed season brings out the stupid in people. I have to admit reading some of these comments make me laugh. If your a fan ATR then you sit back and watch what happens. There is no need for a full blown battle between those who agree and those who disagree with the marketing of sw8. It's here to instise us and get us ready. Yes Thriteen wasn't the greatest, but look at the queues that gets today! Come on people, what was a GENERAL DISSCUSSION, has turned into petty arguments between enthusiasts!

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.