• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

2018: Wicker Man - General Discussion - SPOILERS! - Part One

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
In fairness, trains haven't been confirmed yet. While I'm certain they'll be millennium flyers, a stand up woodie would be something new and easy for the park to conceal. It would almost certainly add to the thrill factor too. However, the throughput would be significantly lower so it's pretty damn unlikely.

Reactions: Tom
Maybe it's the worlds first 4D wooden coaster, or a wooden Spinner Coaster thingy. But knowing Merlin it'll probably be the 'Worlds first wooden Rollercoaster built specifically for VR or AR".

And don't anybody dare say 'but but there's a huge great theming structure why waste money building that' because all I'll say is 'Galatica's portal says hi!' LOL

Nah, it doesn't seem to be a prototype of any kind and the track is the same as other GCIs out there so it's not been designed to accommodate for 4D or spinning trains. It'll be interesting to see if there are any surprises with the ride though.

World's first AR coaster? The tunnel effects could be the AR markers, with sound and lights.

That'd mean either AR headsets or phones would need to be permitted. The former being a throughput nightmare as we've learned from Galactica and the latter being a potential health and safety issue but more importantly, allowing guests to use their phones on ride would cause a loss in on ride photo profits. So I can't see that happening.

As we've also learnt from Galactica,; they don't care if it affects throughputs. Depending on the AR, you don't need an entire headset, you can get AR glasses for only a bit more than a Gear headset.

AR glasses that are currently on the market are extortionately priced given the crudeness of the technology right now. AR is also of a pretty poor quality with it being a relatively unexplored tech meaning that it would most likely take away from the impressive theming structure that they seem to be so committed towards. I'd be disappointed if Merlin opts for AR rather than some extra physical theming in the tunnels in all honesty.

As we've also learnt from Galactica,; they don't care if it affects throughputs.
They're pretty solid with capacities on new large rides across the group, Galactica was very much a refresh of an existing ride. I half wonder if they wanted to introduce a VR experience at Alton and Air was the best choice/most practical.

They are indeed, but there isn't really any doubting that introducing something like VR/AR to a coaster reduces throughput due to technical difficulties or guest difficulties with the headset. It also seems completely stupid to have this huge impressive element with (speculated) fire effects only for riders to wear a headset showing them a crudely rendered version of the same thing. It would also be pretty ironic having a ride themed around a group of people who condemn technology implementing....wearable technology. I just don't see it happening.

In fairness, trains haven't been confirmed yet. While I'm certain they'll be millennium flyers, a stand up woodie would be something new and easy for the park to conceal. It would almost certainly add to the thrill factor too. However, the throughput would be significantly lower so it's pretty damn unlikely.
They're pretty solid with capacities on new large rides across the group, Galactica was very much a refresh of an existing ride. I half wonder if they wanted to introduce a VR experience at Alton and Air was the best choice/most practical.

Air was chosen to implement VR off the back of initial trials on the ride in 2015, which was done out of hours, as part of a project by Figment Productions - this was a favour that Merlin allowed them to do in return for discounted rates on their previous and future collaborations.

The concept of VR on Air materialising, in my opinion, was due to the convenience of already having half a prototype system built on the ride.

Back to SW8 - it has 3 trains which are sit down. I can assure everyone there is nothing unique about the trains other than they have little pieces of wood (like banboo, weirdly) stuck to the side of them in a nice finish.

:)

If they are going to use video addition . I hope its screens within ride area. Like flame effect within the wickerman where the track goes though.

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

Or during the indoor segment. I just hope there is some practical stuff too like smoke to enhance the screen effect if there are any.

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.