2018: Wicker Man - General Discussion - SPOILERS! - Part One

Discussion in 'Planning Portal' started by ThemeParkCrafter, 31st May 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. imanautie

imanautie TowersStreet Member

Yay for the ASA?

Sent from my Swift 2 X using Tapatalk

2. Romeo

Romeo TowersStreet Member

So, I submitted the ASA complaint, as I thought the initial marketing announcement a couple of weeks ago was false. Wicker Man is NOT the first rollercoaster to fuse wood with fire. The ASA agreed, and have instructed Alton Towers to take appropriate action and remove these false claims.

Now, Alton will have to sell a rollercoaster as a rollercoaster, without false Worlds First claims that simply are not true. They're better than that!

b2311e, jack_s, WickerManiac and 12 others like this.
  3. Rob

Rob TS Forum Team Team Member

Favourite Ride:
    Steel Vengeance
    They are now marketing it as the world's most immersive rollercoaster experience to date, which is of course far more subjective.

I would beg to differ mind!

:)

PeteB, WickerManiac and Romeo like this.
  4. Lurker

Lurker TowersStreet Member

I imagine that's going to cause havoc in the marketing department. Quite funny.

PeteB and Romeo like this.
  5. Romeo

I guess though, that claim can't be proven either way.

I do wonder how the marketing team think when they use these buzzwords and claims....

6. Brett

Brett TowersStreet Member

I agree that it is not completely true, but as a towers fan which you are as your currently posting on a towers fan forum, i wouldnt have gone out of my way to hinder the park more so than they already are.

Ben James likes this.
  7. Romeo

Alton Towers is a business that sell a product. They falsely advertised a new addition to their product, with claims that were simply untrue. It does not come down to if I am a fan or not.

Should we all sit back and let Merlin / Alton do as they please, cutting hours, removing attractions and chopping entertainment, just because we are fans? That isn't how it works.

bdl, MrJinx, NemeTime and 11 others like this.
  8. DiogoJ42

DiogoJ42 TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    The Metropolitan Line
    Well done. Those handpumps in Merlin's marketing department have been getting away with lies for far too long!

bdl, MrJinx, NemeTime and 7 others like this.
  9. Brett

i agree that this was false advertising however go ahead an put another complaint to say that nemesis is not the most intense rollercoaster in the world. they advertise that. put a complaint about the VR and galactica its not the worlds first dedicated VR coaster theres plenty around. there loads of complaints you can put in if your feeling consistent.

Ben James likes this.
  10. Romeo

Intensity is subjective. I did what I did, and the ASA agreed. Deal with it.

I think I can hear your marketing telephone going off in the background. You in the office?

jack_s, bdl, adsyrah and 5 others like this.
  11. WickerManiac

WickerManiac TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Colossus
    The claim is more subjective as it was "fully dedicated" which Galactica technically was. Although it does still sound like a very lame world's first.

Back to the main topic - too right!

If action wasn't taken where would it end? What next?

The world's first wing coaster? The world's first roller coaster? The world's first rollercoatser with an inversion?

It was a down right lie and they know it.

MaxPower, DiogoJ42 and ringo like this.
  12. Brett

i do agree with you, i just feel like six flags shouold have made this complaint europa should have made this complaint not your opinion on what you cherry pick you dont like :p

13. Romeo

EXACTLY. It wasn't even CLOSE to being factual, it was an outright lie.

I would get absolutely slaughtered if I started a business selling "WORLDS FIRST SAUSAGES MADE IN THE UK" when there are LOADS of other companies doing selling them, right now. It's no different!

Well YOU are welcome to make complaints about those particular entities, however Six Flags& Europa wouldn't fall under the ASA rules so, you'd struggle with that one. Also, I was unaware of these, as I don't follow those particular parks. They don't show up on my radar.

At the end of the day, I reported something that I saw, that was deeply false. It was a marketing claim, used to entice people that wouldn't know otherwise, to spend their money riding an attraction. If people believed it, and visited the attraction based on the marketing, Alton Towers would be falsely gaining on a Worlds First claim which was untrue.

You think that is right?

bdl, adsyrah, MrJinx and 4 others like this.
  14. Josh

Josh TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Nemesis
    Where were you when they marketed Air as the world's first flying coaster when it wasn't? They got away with that one! What a scandal! :p

Tbh I think this was a step too far, it's just marketing after all, most of the gp would have never heard of Wodan or Apocalypse so it doesn't really matter that much.

Didn't Busch Gardens market Verbolten as the world's first vertical freefall coaster when it opened in 2012? These untrue marketing campaigns have been happening for years...

Ben James, Rob and Brett like this.
  15. jon81uk

jon81uk TowersStreet Member

Anyone can complain to the ASA if they are unhappy about an advert. And in terms of an advertising complaint, a consumer complaining carries more weight than another business. If you aren't happy about any advert then complain to the ASA and let them decide. The ASA are the ones who will cherry pick what gets upheld and what is not a real complaint.

bdl, Rojo, Romeo and 1 other person like this.
  16. Romeo

This. The ASA made the decision, not me.

ringo likes this.
  17. Plastic Person

Plastic Person TowersStreet Member

On behalf of the forum, I'd like to thank @Romeo for correcting this massive injustice, as well for helping to unpick the damaging reputation that theme park enthusiasts have somehow garnered in the industry for being anal, humourless jobsworths with little else to do with their time. See you in the queue!

Pixie-Ro, Martin, b2311e and 6 others like this.
  18. delta79

delta79 TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Nemesis, Air
    Personally i think this ASA reporting reminds merlin that they have enthusiasts watching. And sometime they will get called out on thing.

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

bdl, adsyrah, NemeTime and 7 others like this.
  19. Tibble

Tibble TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    The Smiler
    I think they have a wheel and they throw a dart at it and the word it lands on they use in their marketing campaign

b2311e, Britford, DiogoJ42 and 3 others like this.
  20. Plastic Person

Plastic Person TowersStreet Member

True, and I think they know that. They've already used it to their strategic advantage this week.

But, in terms of daft ride claims, it's just something Alton have done for years now. I don't personally find it offensive. My perspective is that Alton isn't a health or medical product. The hype, and their struggle to live up to it, is just part of the fun. It's an area in which enthusiasts lose touch with the general public, who in this case, almost always don't care.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.