• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

2018: Wicker Man - General Discussion - SPOILERS! - Part One

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
AS IF the effects would be that big and intense.

This is probably a 5 year supply for half a dozen effects the size of a cigarette lighter. After that, no more fire ever, and we’ll be crying for “the good old days” of TLC to fix it.

They can’t even replace the cheap fog fluid in most of the foggers around the park. No way they’ll be able to afford gas refills.

...Sorry guys, I’m doing that negative thing again. Have your tissues ready.

It’s Towers street everyone loves a good bit of negativity......

It’s the making it up bit you do so well that gets silly!

I saw part of Wicker Man in person yesterday, due to the operation of Sharkbait Reef as a friend was staying over.

I am still unconvinced that this will be anywhere near GCI's greatest work, but I have to say the structure and presentation looks better than any coaster Merlin have delivered in the UK.

Add in the music (IMAScore, no doubt), sounds of a wooden coaster - and special effects, and I do think this will be a rather special attraction.

It's just a pity it's not longer... or taller.

Last edited:
I don't reckon this will be anything more than a good family coaster, but I'm optimistic.

All GCI coasters are family rides.

:)
I suppose they are, when you think about it. They all have low height restrictions and lack inversions, but I would say that some of them do look and sound intense on the level of proper thrill rides (e.g. Wodan, Troy, Mountain Flyer), whereas others look and sound more like fun, family-oriented attractions (e.g. InvadR, White Lightning). I currently think Wicker Man will fall into the second category, but it could surprise us. I'm not judging it before I ride. Come to think of it, the ride is actually quite similar to Nemesis in some ways; high quality manufacturer, short-ish first drop, most of the layout is below station level, there's no major technological gimmick in the layout etc. Yes, I know that Nemesis was Europe's first inverted roller coaster, but it wasn't the world's first and it didn't really rely on a huge gimmick in its layout, if you get what I mean. I personally think Wicker Man and Nemesis are the only SWs where the ride experiences aren't oriented around a gimmick.

If a low height restriction is what determines a family coaster, then that means Wildfire is also a family coaster :p
Oh god no! I forgot about curveballs like Wildfire! Don't things like Lightning Rod and Fury 325 also have 1.2m height restrictions? So, yeah, forget what I just said about a low height restriction categorising a family coaster!

Pretty much as expected, relatively quickish at the start but loses pace by the final third. Standard family coaster I guess

I'm gonna buck the trend and say that I didn't think that looked too bad. Bit slow in one or two portions, but generally looks OK. I'm sure it will be a good, fun family ride, however fast the ride turns out to be. It looks no slower to me than InvadR does at BGW, and that has received pretty good reviews from those that have ridden. I did giggle at the video being entitled "world exclusive", though. Sounds like Alton Towers themselves!

Oh wow that is slow :(

That doesn’t look good... and yes the smiler looked slow during testing... and I still find it too slow now. This doesn’t look good at all.

It appears to take the first ground-level corner well, and I think that the first triple-down into the turn could be great fun.

It seems that the layout would have benefited from a taller first drop, as the train loses pace quickly during some of the later sections. That being said, I'm still looking forward to riding and will reserve judgement until then - this is only a test run after all!

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.