• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

2018: Wicker Man - General Discussion - SPOILERS! - Part One

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
I hate to break it to you, folks, however the thick smog you see being pumped out of a smoke machine is purely temporary whilst the ride is shooting its TV advert.

Furthermore, I am certain 2 of the bright LEDs you see are temporary, which will not form part of the ride. This is the same business that went on during The Smiler's TV advert and the spectacular lighting package it had for its pictures.

Needless to say, the main structure is still very impressive.

:)
Hopefully at least they make a return for Scarefest

Sent from my Swift 2 X using Tapatalk

What we are seeing is smoke effects and lighting. Towers have such a good track record when it comes to keeping smoke machines topped up with fluid!
It won't even last two weeks, never mind all the way to Scarefest.
Would it be better if they just shut down the smoke machines till scarefest then? It's not like they will open late enough most of the time for it to be as stunning.

Would it be better if they just shut down the smoke machines till scarefest then? It's not like they will open late enough most of the time for it to be as stunning.

No, it would be better if they actually kept the effects working at all times! :p

No, it would be better if they actually kept the effects working at all times! :p
Whilst that would be best would you rather they have them working for a few weeks when they won't be a good or when it's dark? With Merlin it's an either or.

Late summer opening won't add much night riding time with sunset at around 9pm, they would have to stay open to at least 9:30 to gain much time for rides in the dark. I do agree that late summer opening should be a bigger thing than it is, but I don't see the park getting people to stay into the evening without a significant amount of extra entertainment (like ScareFest or Fireworks) and this is much harder to offer in the summer. Maybe if the late night weekends at Thorpe Park work we could see longer hours at Alton Towers, but I don't think it will gain any more night ride time.

The effects should show up nicely in our overcast British weather. I don't know how dark it is in Staffordshire compare to the same time in the east. I do quiet a lot of late night events in the east. Summer nights in Yarmouth, we see the model village illuminations every Wednesday followed by the sea front fireworks. OK it's not pitch black at 7.30 when the illuminations are on during the summer months, but it is dusk enough to get the light effects. Obviously the start of the summer season is not as dark at 7.30 compared to the end of the summer season 6 weeks down the line. September is also great for late night events as the nights are already beginning to draw in early. Colchester zoo have their night time opening in the dark one weekend in September and Blackpool illuminations are nicely lit up around 7.30ish. So there is no reason why the park can't stay open until 8 pm during the summer or even a couple of late nights events during September. If my memory is correct, didn't they run some special late night opening event of Galatica in the dark? Perhaps they will do the same with Wickerman

The effects should show up nicely in our overcast British weather. I don't know how dark it is in Staffordshire compare to the same time in the east. I do quiet a lot of late night events in the east. Summer nights in Yarmouth, we see the model village illuminations every Wednesday followed by the sea front fireworks. OK it's not pitch black at 7.30 when the illuminations are on during the summer months, but it is dusk enough to get the light effects. Obviously the start of the summer season is not as dark at 7.30 compared to the end of the summer season 6 weeks down the line. September is also great for late night events as the nights are already beginning to draw in early. Colchester zoo have their night time opening in the dark one weekend in September and Blackpool illuminations are nicely lit up around 7.30ish. So there is no reason why the park can't stay open until 8 pm during the summer or even a couple of late nights events during September. If my memory is correct, didn't they run some special late night opening event of Galatica in the dark? Perhaps they will do the same with Wickerman
I think they let people with rcr bookings ride Galactica.

and I would even support staggered closes in the summer, how about the park being open to 7pm, then X Sector, Mutiny Bay (including Wickerman) and Forbidden Valley until 8pm or 9pm and then Forbidden Valley only until 9pm or later so guests can walk out the gates by Galactica or eat late at Rollercoaster restaurant which could have last entry at 9pm (so open until 10pm).
But even adding some extra pirate themed entertainment in Mutiny Bay or similar to add to offering for the early evening, or a special dinner menu at Towers St grill.
Unfortunately there are probably too many guests with long drives home (it does take 45mins or more just to get to the motorway!) to make it really successful, but selected areas open would make it more affordable and can lead guests back towards the hotels.

and I would even support staggered closes in the summer, how about the park being open to 7pm, then X Sector, Mutiny Bay (including Wickerman) and Forbidden Valley until 8pm or 9pm and then Forbidden Valley only until 9pm or later so guests can walk out the gates by Galactica or eat late at Rollercoaster restaurant which could have last entry at 9pm (so open until 10pm).
But even adding some extra pirate themed entertainment in Mutiny Bay or similar to add to offering for the early evening, or a special dinner menu at Towers St grill.
Unfortunately there are probably too many guests with long drives home (it does take 45mins or more just to get to the motorway!) to make it really successful, but selected areas open would make it more affordable and can lead guests back towards the hotels.
Merlin please hire this guy as this would be pretty cool.

The pictures are amazing, but clearly promotional pictures. They have been digitally enhanced to look good – nothing wrong with this for the sake of a great picture, but as long as people realise it's not reality. It doesnt surprise me to learn most the smoke effects and lighting are from a TV production crew.

This is exactly the same as the preview Smiler pictures which were shot at night, with lights mounted to the trains by the photographer, which people went overboard about when they were published.

Just a shame some of the ride's designers have been posting these promotional pictures on their own Linkedin pages, etc, claiming it to be the result of their work. How about a better caption - "Filming for the Wickerman advert is underway"

Last edited:
The same photos have just been emailed out to MAP holders

vzdab6.jpg

Last edited:
Oh dear... they could be in for another ASA complaint if they aren't careful...

Why?

And of course they have made it look fantastic for the promotional images. That does not mean to say it will not look good in reality either. Forget about the lighting and smoke for a minute, the theming structure itself looks wonderful! But of course, some people have to moan about every little thing, even if it is good!

Why?

And of course they have made it look fantastic for the promotional images. That does not mean to say it will not look good in reality either. Forget about the lighting and smoke for a minute, the theming structure itself looks wonderful! But of course, some people have to moan about every little thing, even if it is good!

Next they will be telling us that the Big Mac in the advert is better looking than the actual burger I get at MaccaD's

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

But of course, some people have to moan about every little thing, even if it is good!
Not me, if that was aimed at my post. I stated I wasn't criticising the fact they made it look good in a promo image. I havnt seen the ride yet, neither of us know what it looks like finished. I'm just waiting til I ride it!

I've a good friend who was the biggest moaner on the planet about this project but all the complaints were baselss. I got very bored of it. They did a total U turn when the advertising began, despite still being the same layout, same theme, same everything it was always planned to be for all they know. To the point where they're one of the most enthusiastic people I know about Wickerman now, based only on advertising, which is equally silly.

The ride could be great fun, or could be a big let down. People need to keep their feet on the floor, it ain't open yet.

Last edited:
It really depends how much the smoke has been over emphasised - fire greats smoke anyway so we should still see something very similar

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.