• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

2018: Wicker Man - General Discussion - SPOILERS! - Part One

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
You see.....through all the darkness and anger towards the park / Merlin......we still do have some tremendous attractions there. Well I think so anyway. Really excited for this now. Hoping to get a good 10 rides on WM in opening week across my 2 day visit.

Is this still thought to be opening on 17th March 2018? Or are they rumoured to be springing a Galactica on us and opening on the 22nd?

Also, many on TowersTimes are saying that Wicker Man will have a 1.96m maximum height restriction like Thirteen does, which is certainly interesting, as no other GCIs do that I'm aware of. Has this been confirmed as true?

Last edited:
Is this still thought to be opening on 17th March 2018? Or are they rumoured to be springing a Galactica on us and opening on the 22nd?

Also, many on TowersTimes are saying that Wicker Man will have a 1.96m maximum height restriction like Thirteen does, which is certainly interesting, as no other GCIs do that I'm aware of. Has this been confirmed as true?
All the official public info is “spring 2018”. Spring this year is 20th March - 21st June.

I’d expect similar to Galactica though, competition winnners then MAP winners.

All the official public info is “spring 2018”. Spring this year is 20th March - 21st June.

I’d expect similar to Galactica though, competition winnners then MAP winners.

I would not expext that at all. Wicker Man should be opening on 17th March 2018 to all guests. Galactica soft opened because it wasn't ready on time.

:)

I would not expext that at all. Wicker Man should be opening on 17th March 2018 to all guests. Galactica soft opened because it wasn't ready on time.

Been to the park today and got some insider information - this is expected to open on the 17th March. Staff are now involved in testing the ride.

P.S. A Mr J. Wardley signed in just before me in the visitors book!

Faint praise perhaps, but for a modern UK theme park entrance that's a wonderful jump in quality. I'm getting very sick of every new ride at every park having either completely two-dimensional signage or a few plastic/metal panels stacked on top of one another.

I'm not sure if you've looked at the sign properly, but it's definitely not just a few plastic/metal panels on top of each other.

As entrances go, this is one of the best looking we've seen from a UK park in a long time. Even Galacticas entrance is a nice looking ride sign. Personally the issue I have with UK Parks is the amount of vinyls in place of some actual themeing (Galactica's queue tunnel and the hotel rooms are prime examples)

I'm not sure if you've looked at the sign properly, but it's definitely not just a few plastic/metal panels on top of each other.

As entrances go, this is one of the best looking we've seen from a UK park in a long time. Even Galacticas entrance is a nice looking ride sign. Personally the issue I have with UK Parks is the amount of vinyls in place of some actual themeing (Galactica's queue tunnel and the hotel rooms are prime examples)
That’s literally what he’s saying. He’s saying that it’s a considerable jump in quality when compared to other signs found around the country.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Been to the park today and got some insider information - this is expected to open on the 17th March. Staff are now involved in testing the ride.

P.S. A Mr J. Wardley signed in just before me in the visitors book!
Who gave you the info, out of interest? Or is that information secret?

So John Wardley might be riding today. Exciting stuff! Let's see what the great man himself thinks!

Who gave you the info, out of interest? Or is that information secret?

Generally speaking, when people are told some information such as that they are not in a position to reveal who told them as it could compromise said person's job. I know it can seem frustrating when people seemingly know something but cannot say how or why they know, but it's best not to ask and just decide yourself whether their information is likely to be reliable.

Generally speaking, when people are told some information such as that they are not in a position to reveal who told them as it could compromise said person's job. I know it can seem frustrating when people seemingly know something but cannot say how or why they know, but it's best not to ask and just decide yourself whether their information is likely to be reliable.

I was only asking because when it comes to this sort of thing, you sometimes get "the guy on the Fastrack stand told me" or a similar sort of thing. But I would presume that the info is reliable.

I love the fact that a man in a different part of country has signed into a park and might or might not be riding a coaster RIGHT NOW is exciting, for surely thousands of teenagers. Wardley's done fantastic stuff, but let's face it, it is a bit strange :p

The 'John Wardley Effect'?

I skimmed the post and expected the typical Wickerman/Merlin bashing.
I think a lot of people do this on the internet as soon as they feel the post disagrees with them, without really considering the other person's argument. The term 'Merlin bashing' should surely be reserved for the mindless cynicism from MAP holders about not having enough pop badges or whatever. But I think most arguments in this forum are pretty well reasoned?

Last edited:
It would be safe to assume Wicker Man will open 17th March. Even without insider info, we've seen reports of the ride testing, leaked drone/park photos show a complete train, near enough complete theming, complete building, complete queuline, complete landscaping etc. It looks like now it's all minor touches being made and staff training.

I guess they are not coming out with an opening date just in case something goes catastrophically wrong between now and when the park opens. It's unlikely, although better to be safe than sorry.

I must say I'm impressed how finished the ride/area looks with just under a month until the park opens. We're a far cry away from the days of Th13teen's queueline being paved hours before opening day.

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

It would be safe to assume Wicker Man will open 17th March. Even without insider info, we've seen reports of the ride testing, leaked drone/park photos show a complete train, near enough complete theming, complete building, complete queuline, complete landscaping etc. It looks like now it's all minor touches being made and staff training.

I guess they are not coming out with an opening date just in case something goes catastrophically wrong between now and when the park opens. It's unlikely, although better to be safe than sorry.

I must say I'm impressed how finished the ride/area looks with just under a month until the park opens. We're a far cry away from the days of Th13teen's queueline being paved hours before opening day.

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk
This way they avoid people buying tickets for it opening and then getting refunds when it's late like The Smiler.

Sent from my Swift 2 X using Tapatalk

This way they avoid people buying tickets for it opening and then getting refunds when it's late like The Smiler.

But it's not late like The Smiler, because it's pretty much done!

I'd imagine an opening date will be announced in the next couple of weeks.

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.