• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

2018: Wicker Man - General Discussion - SPOILERS! - Part One

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
@PeteA - i don't disagree with a lot of what you say, but you have to be consistent in your outrage. The industry has been full of dubious claims for decades - why are we drawing the line here, particularly for such an ill defined claim. It is doing something fairly different that what we haven't seen prior. They could argue this is the first fusion of wood and fire, the others were just playing at it. Just like they argued Oblivion had a vertical drop - did you say that in your book? (a question - not an accusation).

I have no outrage whatsoever Rick :) Oblivion should not have been advertised as the first vertical drop coaster (more like the steepest drop would have been better), Air should not have been advertised as the Worlds first flying coaster and it was misleading to say Rita was from 0-100 as we use Mph in the UK, rather than the Kmh on the advertising.

You are correct the industry has been full of these kind of claims and I have always said that is wrong, but have I ever complained to the ASA? No. I haven't funnily enough, but maybe I should have or should do in the future. For people who know me, they can vouch that back in 1993 / 1994 I was commenting about the Big One not being 235ft high :)

But my point is very clear, no company should mislead the public with regards to advertising. It doesn't matter if its a little lie or a huge great fib, its wrong. It doesn't matter if its a small coffee shop in New York claiming they have the worlds best coffee to Apple having adverts banned for misleading us. It is all wrong and should not be allowed, irrespective of who or what its for.

Just because the industry has been misleading the public for years, doesn't make it acceptable now in 2018

Which advert below do you think is more acceptable? A CGI depiction of Alton Towers with no real footage of rides, or Drayton Manor's attempt, which is actually showing the park. I think you can guess which one I prefer. :) Whats the ASA's website address again :)

Unfortunately, neither are the ents team judging by their choices of kit and setup over things like Scarefest and Fireworks.

That's my professional opinion.

The park could really do with some properly trained and experienced AV Technicians like they used to have back in the 90's, when all shows had to run to perfection.

It might be your professional opinion but it’s factually incorrect.

Then again of the admitedly small number of people I know who work in the AV industry (1 theatre, 1 audio tech development, couple from TV and then those at the theme parks) it seems to involve a lot of internal disagreements about the right and wrong way of doing things so not certain any one of you agrees on how to do the job. Suppose you could argue that’s the nature of the beast when you work with something that is closer to art than science.

Trust me, it's factually correct. I've seen who works there and I've seen the job applications Towers put out.

Towers is little more than a job experience gig.

That's actually quite offensive to the staff that work there.

DBGT at Thorpe last year had Entertainments in charge of the SFX and if anything that side of things improved since the first year when Tech Services was working on it.

Entertainments running the show side of things is a benefit.

I hear the staff uniforms are a bit naff, due to the originally planned Beornen outfits violating health & safety if they have to evacuate etc.

Ah that's a shame. I was hoping for something similar to Taron's ride staff uniform, it looks totally bad ass and compliments the atmosphere perfectly!

Another picture of Wicker Man, looks like the staff enjoy the ride! :)

Tbh staff aren’t going to do / say anything negative are they. But does look fun!

Seems the photo is being used in some sort of squabble, after all didn’t Attraction Images have to remove a video?

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.