• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

2018: Wicker Man - General Discussion - SPOILERS! - Part One

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
I'm not sure even towers would go for that much of a gimmick.

More likely to be the worlds universe's first vr wooden coaster with an inversion and OTSR's. It looks like they're targeting the family-thrill market, and stand up would push it into thrill (not to mention how painful that could be)

I rode white lightening at funspot the other evening and despite being a small coaster was a fun ride, it was nothing mind blowing but a great family thrill ride and given me more hope that SW8 can be a decent family thrill coaster.

Has there been a stand up wooden coaster before? Could that be the SW world's first element?
No just no. Any way stand up coasters are just a gimmick of how you ride a ride, the park already have galactica and nemesis.
Stand up wooden coaster with lapbars would be a double worlds first!
What would the media say about that.

In all seriousness earlier this year I saw what to be a landscaping company's van around the back of the rapids near the back of the flume could this be to do with SW8's secret element.

Moving away from gimmick suggestions for a minute and back to the topic of why the SW8 site remains untouched. The planning application stated that demolition/construction work would last 15 months between September 2016 and December 2017. It's looking unlikely now that any work will begin before November this year which would be a 2 month delay - thankfully there is time built in to compensate for that.

But I've been trying to think of the reason for this delay. Here's one theory I have. We already know that the budget for SW8 has been somewhat reduced from the original 2017 project following what happened with The Smiler last year. No doubt Alton Towers got all quotes for SW8 from GCI, based in the USA, earlier this year. A lot has happened between now and then, not least the vote for the UK to leave the EU causing the value of the pound to plummet.

So let's say GCI quoted Alton Towers $10 million for the coaster. Back in May, when the planning application was submitted, that would have equated to roughly £6.9 million. Today the cost is roughly £8.2 million - an increase of £1.3 million. When the budget has already been cut that's no small amount and we all know just how tight Merlin have been with Towers recently. Now I'm not suggesting anything drastic such as it being cancelled but I am wondering if Merlin are making Towers save costs in other areas of the ride to help compensate before proceeding. We know that the size of the station building has already been reduced.

Now I could be totally wrong and it could merely be that they don't feel the need to start work yet. But I couldn't resist thinking up a good Towers conspiracy theory. :p

:)

It's certainly a plausible theory, Rob. I believe there was also something in the decision notice that said work couldn't begin until more documentation was submitted regarding external materials and finishes and hard surfacing, and also provision of foul drainage and surface water drainage works, as stated under points 3 and 4. It may be that they haven't got that info together yet, but I would've hoped that they would by now, given they've had several weeks since the decision was made, and they probably had that info anyway! Having said that, it wouldn't surprise me if your theory holds some weight.

It's certainly a plausible theory, Rob. I believe there was also something in the decision notice that said work couldn't begin until more documentation was submitted regarding external materials and finishes and hard surfacing, and also provision of foul drainage and surface water drainage works, as stated under points 3 and 4. It may be that they haven't got that info together yet, but I would've hoped that they would by now, given they've had several weeks since the decision was made, and they probably had that info anyway! Having said that, it wouldn't surprise me if your theory holds some weight.

Those are valid reasons also and possibly far more likely than my theory! :p

Seen a rumour about the water system having to be disconnected from the main system, with it being connected to the rapids. Not sure how true it is though.

Seen a rumour about the water system having to be disconnected from the main system, with it being connected to the rapids. Not sure how true it is though.
I have noticed a new water supply pipe that has been installed just before the gates from Mutiny to gloomy wood.
Also a new supply near gardeners cottage on the crossroads.
The sad plumber that I am getting excited about a water pipe o_O

I've had a few unique ideas on SW8's theme I will post them here to see what you think:

Plane Crash in Africa:
The whole theme about this is a plane crash in Africa which happens whilst on the ride. The first drop would have sound tunnels painted to look like the sky. After the 'plane crash' you encounter various animals throughout the ride. Katangya Canyon in general would have new pile of old-styled luggage (Even yet shipping containers as scrap parts of the plane) scattered around the area. However due to The Smiler incident in June last year Towers wouldn't want that theme.

African Tribes/Voodoo's:
This theme would be centred around African culture with various Voodoo masks and painted frences present around Katangya Canyon. The theming objects around the ride would be a Voodoo mask a spear and something else. The pre-show would tell you about a presence of a Voodoo in the Katangya Canyon area of the park (let's say a voodoo doll was unearthed during recent excavations, maybe a hint to the flume there ;)). The sound tunnels painted in an African paintings.

They certainly would be very intresting ideas for the park and hopefully the ride would have a theme story heavy as it would certainly fit in with the themes/stories of the other rides at the park, but not dark like galactica is.

Also I would like to point out the reason why the planning application has such an exact number in the pre-show maybe you sit down and something moves (like CatCF's finale or the ghost room on the haunting) then the 50 people move into the station and 4 people queue for the front row, like on TH13TEEN.

Reactions: pj
I've also heard of a potential SW8 theme along the lines of voodoo, but more to do with voodoo pirates, presumably in order to link it into Mutiny Bay. It's certainly something a bit different, and I think it could work quite well.

If the theming structures are built as planned, they could replicate masts and the coaster could resemble a wrecked ship. That could work with a pirate/African theme.

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.