• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

2018: Wicker Man - General Discussion - SPOILERS! - Part One

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
I’ve been following this, as I have most major developments since AIR, all the way from the plans being drawn up. It looks fantastic.

I doubt I’ve been to as many parks as many on here have, but I’ve been to a fair few across a few different countries and for me the absolute difference is theming. That may seem obvious, but then you have major companies like Six Flags who barely theme anything, other than buying Warner brothers rights and naming the ride after various characters.

I try to get to Florida every 2-3 years and as much as I love the Hulk and loved the Dueling Dragons, for me the best rides are The Mummy, Expedition Everest, Ripsaw Falls, the HP rides etc, and it’s because of the theming. The theming immerses you and that’s one of the main points of a theme park.

Anyway, this one looks absolutely on point. It surprises me they aren’t changing the Mutiny Bay theme though by the looks of it? Surely it wouldn’t take much given the style the area already has (old fashioned buildings etc, basically the same as when it was Merrie England) and name it something more in line with the Wickerman?

I’m relived anyway as to be honest when this was first announced I was half expecting something like Captain Blabbergasts Plank Walking Coaster.

I am trying not to overhype myself, but I am increasingly becoming more excited by this.

I think it’s clear from all of their more recent additions (and removals) Merlin are keen for their theme parks to offer ‘experience’ based attractions. However, each one of these has been an absolute dud. Wicker Man may well now change that trend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

The only reason there is a problem with rides like The Smiler, is because the build quality - from a Merlin Magic Making POV - was poor. The ride itself is quite astonishing for the space available, the theming is of course not everyone's cup of tea - but it's certainly pretty different, and the marketing was pretty good too. But... it's a cess pit.

Where Wicker Man needs to be better is upkeep. The ride looks to be way, way better designed. Entertainments are looking after the effects.

It had better be better!

Merlin are keen for their theme parks to offer ‘experience’ based attractions. However, each one of these has been an absolute dud. Wicker Man may well now change that trend.

I think merlin are getting honed in on the science of experiences attractions.

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

Wow...that was a hype killer, the theming looks good when in standby but (at least in the video) the fire effect just looks pathetic and is way too small, the colour is all wrong and it makes the structure look cheap when the effect is...in effect!

I'm going to assume that (if not the videos fault) it will at least look better in the day...
...I mean, it doesn't help that the human side of the structure just looks generally crap...

It does however, look amazing on the ram side of it so it gets a pass...for now...

Wow...that was a hype killer, the theming looks good when in standby but (at least in the video) the fire effect just looks pathetic and is way too small, the colour is all wrong and it makes the structure look cheap when the effect is...in effect!

I'm going to assume that (if not the videos fault) it will at least look better in the day...
...I mean, it doesn't help that the human side of the structure just looks generally crap...

It does however, look amazing on the ram side of it so it gets a pass...for now...
Said no one ever.

If you're talking about the fire effect on the shoulders being too small, you have to bear in mind that the structure and effects haven't been designed to be seen so close and so high up. From the ground and from the coaster, you wouldn't be able to see the outlets where the flames are generated, you'll only see the flames themselves; everything else hidden by the structure itself. It's all about the angle and perspective it's viewed from.

Last edited:
Are people basing there expectations of "immersive theming" on 1 statue in the middle of the ride? Because that's all I really see right now.

I like the look of it but It's a bit formulaic though, like The Smiler's marmaliser standing in the middle of the pit.

Where is the rest of the theming?

You must be fun at parties.

If you're talking about the fire effect on the shoulders being too small, you have to bear in mind that the structure and effects haven't been designed to be seen so close and so high up. From the ground and from the coaster, you wouldn't be able to see the outlets where the flames are generated, you'll only see the flames themselves; everything else hidden by the structure itself. It's all about the angle and perspective it's viewed from.

Its also the garish bright yellow colour of the actual fire against the soft orange hue of the fake fire, it just looks odd.
(Though I suspect that could be due to poor video quality)

In all honesty, It seems to mostly be the fault of the video itself. (bad angle, no sound, wrong side, ect...)
Its a shame that this had to be my 1st impression of the normal day to day operations, a ground video would have been much better!

You what now? The colour of the fire effects is wrong!? It's a poor quality video but it looked fire colour to me. I woulnd't call the fire pathetic either, but hey ho, some people cannot be pleased.

Speaking of which....
Are people basing there expectations of "immersive theming" on 1 statue in the middle of the ride? Because that's all I really see right now.

I like the look of it but It's a bit formulaic though, like The Smiler's marmaliser standing in the middle of the pit.

Where is the rest of the theming?

Massive theming object full of effects, themed (with effects) tunnels, themed pre-show and other bits and bobs; coupled with some nice landscaping, is far more theming than on most wooden coasters in the world. I mean when riding Wodan you do not notice any real theming at all.

If Wicker Man was being built somewhere in Europe then I am fairly confident that people would be wishing we could get such an experience here in the UK. But this is at Alton Towers so it has to be crap until proven otherwise.

:)

Let this be recorded as the thread where @Rob said something remotely derisory about Europa Park!

I really think this could be the ride that fans have been waiting for since Oblivion. It's very exciting - but you have to lift your veil of negativity and hatred of Merlin to enjoy it. Try it, it might just be be worth it.

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.