• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

2018: Wicker Man - General Discussion - SPOILERS! - Part One

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
Do we know how the preshow is going to work? Like, is it going to be an actual preshow or is it going to be an indoor queue, and if it is an actual preshow, is it going to exit straight onto the ride or just going to lead to another queue (like in Twilight Zone at Disney land)

And how long before they just use it as a hallway...
Here's some information about the preshow for you. I found it about 20 pages back.
As I'm writing this I'm finding it very hard not to read the text in the spoiler below...

Huh, I remember people saying there wasn't much excitement for this ride at the start of construction, But look at the thread now almost as long as the The Smiler discussion!

From what I can gather...

You enter a room constructed from twigs and hay, with LED lighting from the roof down and carvings engraved on the floor. Rocks also show the outline of the runes which are associated with the ride. The doors close, and a video is projected on a cloth in front of the room. The style of this cartoon has been likened to this scene in Harry Potter with the style of cartoon (this can be found here ) and goes on to say that the great ancestors of the Beornen once spoke of a legend of a Wicker Man. The ancestors spoke for centuries that one day he would rise again. But to start this ritual, he needs to be fed. Then, the room descends into darkness, the curtain rises out of the way, and a 3-d projection map of a real life Wicker Man appears from behind the curtain screaming out "I will rise again - Feed the flames". Simultaneously, the runes on the floor and the runes on the rocks light up and the sound of drums and humming can be heard. The doors spring open and you are in the station.

Do we know how the preshow is going to work? Like, is it going to be an actual preshow or is it going to be an indoor queue, and if it is an actual preshow, is it going to exit straight onto the ride or just going to lead to another queue (like in Twilight Zone at Disney land)
It will be an actual show, holding 50 guests at a time. We'll find out what it is on opening day.

I do really love how story driven this ride will be. It sounds good enough to interest those who love story-led experiences, but not overpowering enough to bore those who just want to get through and ride the coaster.

The blank areas around the ride (mentioned a few pages back), and particularly the concrete wall do concern me... I guess we can't have everything. I would say these areas could be addressed in future closed seasons, but we know that never happens. Not to drag the topic into negative land again of course, I love everything about this ride so far and the area around it. Definitely the most 'complete' feeling Merlin project to date.

Just how big are these concrete areas/tunnel? Such a shame
Not too big, I would say. Definitely not as big as the infamous Air Tunnel.

Out of interest, why are you all so angry that Merlin didn't theme the maintenance shed? As far as I'm aware, the only park in the world that has ever themed the maintenance shed and put effects in it is Kings Island. EP didn't even put a themed maintenance shed on Wodan, and nobody moaned then. Or are you all moaning for a different reason?

I just hope that they at least put some audio in there and paint it up well, that would cost next to nothing and would improve the shed significantly.

Not too big, I would say. Definitely not as big as the infamous Air Tunnel.

Out of interest, why are you all so angry that Merlin didn't theme the maintenance shed? As far as I'm aware, the only park in the world that has ever themed the maintenance shed and put effects in it is Kings Island. EP didn't even put a themed maintenance shed on Wodan, and nobody moaned then. Or are you all moaning for a different reason?
I can kind of undertstand this; the reason most mech sheds aren't themed is because riders don't go through them. If loaded trains go through them then people will want them themed.

Presuming it's the one under the pre-show from the station building. I really hope it does get themed at some point if it hasn't already. Seems such a shame to have gone to the extent of everything else but to open the actual ride experience itself on a downer.

assuming that Wickerman still is planned to open on the 17th, Towers have more than enough time to theme this apparent concrete section, even if it is just with a few sticks, ropes, clothes etc. its sure suffice.

Is this the section the train races through before the lift? Surely it'll just be dark? Thirteen's tunnel doesn't have much decoration, either and that gets people screaming.

Not long until we find out now, either way. :)

I've read through the topic and can't see people actually getting angry about the blank areas, just disappointed (reasonably).

On the big UK projects, things always get whittled down. Whether this time it's a case of 'we've overspent in this area, we need to save budget in others', or just about cutting costs to come in under budget, who knows. Probably a mix of both.

It's a good thing that this time, it looks like most the ride is still impressive. Whereas something like Thirteen really falls apart after a bit, because so much was cut and it's so thinly spread.

So it's still a big improvement on Wickerman and I hope Merlin recognise the value in a complete, quality product :)

Also, I assume we're not literally talking about the maintenance shed, but the various tunnels and construction walls around the ride in view of public? Theming a maintenance shed on the inside would be the peak of silliness :p

Shame, I use SRQs a lot, especially on Th13teeen and The Smiler.

Free alternative to fastrack mustn't sound too good to Merlin.

On another note, I can't believe we're only 2 weeks away from riding a wooden coaster at Alton Towers!

Me too!!!

2nd / 3rd day of Smiler being open for first time I was there and the queues were horrendous. I used srq and rode it 4 times in one day alone as well as loads of other rides.

Shame, I use SRQs a lot, especially on Th13teeen and The Smiler.

Free alternative to fastrack mustn't sound too good to Merlin.

On another note, I can't believe we're only 2 weeks away from riding a wooden coaster at Alton Towers!

It won't be anything to do with the fact that it's a free alternative to Fastrack.

Because it isn't really.

:)

Also, I assume we're not literally talking about the maintenance shed, but the various tunnels and construction walls around the ride in view of public? Theming a maintenance shed on the inside would be the peak of silliness :p
By the maintenance shed I meant the building that you pass through on the brake run with the transfer track in it just before the station. I thought that people wanted that area themed, like Kings Island did with Mystic Timbers, but obviously not! What do you mean by the maintenance shed, out of interest?

Last edited:
I thought that people wanted that area themed, like Kings Island did with Mystc Timbers, but obviously not! What do you mean by the maintenance shed, out of interest?
Ah right, I thought you meant maintenance shed as in where the maintenance actually happens backstage, not the transfer track.

If it's an area the trains pass through with infrastructure in, then I suppose the best solution is just to keep it dark as possible.
Would be nice to theme it, but it's very difficult when the space is regularly used for maintenance access and works. Areas like this usually have to be left clear for practical reasons, or the theming has to be extremely robust.

There are ways around it, the ride could be suggestive using simple lights & sound if the train has to be held there for long, avoid a dud ending. Maybe they're on the case.

But if they built a space with the intent to put something flash in and then left it bare (Air tunnel) that's unfortunate.

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.