• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

2018: Wicker Man - General Discussion - SPOILERS! - Part One

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
It's hardly abuse if we paid for the privilege, with all the hostility VIPs get on this forum i wouldn't be surprised if people make full use out of it

Sent from my Swift 2 X using Tapatalk

Although I do have an opinion that V.I.P holders can be very condescending and snobby, how is that abusing it?

Surely that's the product they paid for? The same as Platinum Fastrack Holders doing the same.

:)

Not quite the best choice of words I will admit.

I mean, it's a new attraction, one that will undoubtedly get consistently large queues. It's a nice perk for VIP pass holders. However, in my personal opinion, unlimited Fastrack on a brand new large ride seems pretty unfair on other guests, even when the privilege has been paid. I can imagine *some* pass holders (not all, there are nice VIPers out there) taking 20+ rides in one day, which seems a bit of a middle finger to everyone else who can't afford silly amounts of money. Some form of limit for at least the first few months of operating would be better, then bring in unlimited Fastrack for Wicker Man toward the end of year.

Anyway... I can see this spiraling into another VIP pass holder debate... swear we had a thread on this topic somewhere?

I mean, it's a new attraction, one that will undoubtedly get consistently large queues. It's a nice perk for VIP pass holders. However, in my personal opinion, unlimited Fastrack on a brand new large ride seems pretty unfair on other guests, even when the privilege has been paid. I can imagine *some* pass holders (not all, there are nice VIPers out there) taking 20+ rides in one day, which seems a bit of a middle finger to everyone else who can't afford silly amounts of money. Some form of limit for at least the first few months of operating would be better, then bring in unlimited Fastrack for Wicker Man toward the end of year.

Anyway... I can see this spiraling into another VIP pass holder debate... swear we had a thread on this topic somewhere?
Literally the only reason most VIPs will reride wickerman is this forum.

ehxied.jpg

https://www.facebook.com/VIPmerlinannualpass/ visitor posts
Oh okay. Was looking for an official post.

Thanks!

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Gotta be honest and pretty blunt. I'd feel like a right w****r if I kept walking past the same people in a queue on the opening day of a ride, just re-riding because I could. Says a lot about a person if they were to take the mick with something like this. Well within their rights though, if that's their 'thing'.

First time poster, Long time lurker :)

I'm pleased (naturally) that VIP's will get FT on WM from day 1. I am not the sort of person that would reride over and over again, but to be perfectly honest and blunt, why on earth should I not be allowed to?

I have paid for a pass that gives me unlimited FT on all rides at AT and other Merlin parks. Merlin would be changing the terms of the pass if they did limit the use of it.

The amount of hate shown on these forums and other sites is disgraceful. Not all VIP Passholders are w*****s!

Gotta be honest and pretty blunt. I'd feel like a right w****r if I kept walking past the same people in a queue on the opening day of a ride, just re-riding because I could. Says a lot about a person if they were to take the mick with something like this. Well within their rights though, if that's their 'thing'.
Hopefully it's not a ft like Rita as that is aqward

I don’t think most of them worry about looking like the term you described..... if the shoe fits.

That's my take with dark rides! Enjoy it for what it is and don't let a wrongly positioned prop ruin your day! Perhaps we're not so different after all.
I'd 100% agree that nobody needs to know a dark ride's stats & trivia to enjoy it either. But you're conflating different things aren't you.

It's the difference between a stage show with actors forgetting their lines and effects not working, compared to something done with great timing and edge. Or a meal cooked lazily with no flavour – still a bolognese isn't it, but do it properly and it's something very different, which you don't need to be a connoisseur to enjoy!

You can enjoy a declining attraction for what it's worth, yes, but how bad does it need to get before something's done? If even for the sake of VFM of the entrance ticket? And boy are most dark rides in the UK older than 5 years totally busted, it's far more than just a stray prop these days!

And then, when you do know the sheer efforts & hours of work that go into producing a dark ride, the fact that Mr Screwdriver in his lunch break decides he can do it better and changes all the set up, or a big effect needs servicing but gets abandoned because "no one will notice", is pretty silly. It objectively ends up with a very cheapened product in the long run. The small details do add up too, average public in the queue for the Imperial Leather Bubbleworks when I worked there would often mention (unprompted) how well they remember the old smell (seriously! of all things – because it was good).

The better the audio & lighting, the more unaware guests will be that its even there, and the more they are taken in for a fun theatrical ride. It makes a solid difference, there's a whole field of work behind this, but it costs money for something not operationally critical, so of course it gets cut when big corporations run parks. Reinvesting in existing attractions for quality's sake is squarely not Merlin's strategy and it shows in more ways than just declining dark rides.

And yes, lacking show maintenance has been the case since Tussauds ran the parks too, if not quite as bad as we've known more recently.

Um how do I bring this back on topic.. Oh yeah Wickerman looks like its effects have been more solidly built to be more maintainable than most the cheapo effects of late (see The Smiler), and putting a different team in charge of maintaining them will surely make a big difference.

Last edited:
The amount of hate shown on these forums and other sites is disgraceful. Not all VIP Passholders are w*****s!

There is a saying in maintenance ' only the bad things are noticed' the same goes for groups.

The good everyday VIP holders goes unnoticed as they go enjoy the day and act in a way we wish all theme park guests would.

The bad VIP holders get noticed for their self important behaviour. This then give the pass level a bad reputation.

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Slightly off topic but didn’t Galactica have fastrack from day one or was that VIP only?

That was the last “new” ride that got 2hour plus queues albeit mainly down to the technology

It is disappointing that any form of Fastrack will be available on Wicker Man on opening day.

I thought Alton Towers let things calm down before allowing any form of FT on major new rides.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
There aren't going to be that many VIPs reriding so it shouldn't be a problem.

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.