• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

2018: Wicker Man - General Discussion - SPOILERS! - Part One

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
Sad times regarding the flume.

Having just checked out the updated plans, must say I'm still very unimpressed by what they've got planned. This is geniunely the most boring and shortest layout I've ever seen on any coaster.

Saying that, Th13teen's outdoor section comes close.

Credit to Ross Smith on Twitter who is working on the ride (rosssmithsmkl)

CyitHSAXUAIq9wr.jpg

CyitIjvWQAAgYUI.jpg

CyitJZnWIAAoC96.jpg
In his tweet he says he's building the new "Wickerman ride" ..
Wicker-Man-film-still-2.jpg

Just a quick bit on the planning documents which were reported yesterday to cover it in one post. This was not an amendment to the existing plans, but a discharge of conditions application which was to cover off some of the conditions imposed on them when planning permission was granted. Basically:

Condition 4 - Drainage
Condition 7 - Archaeology
Condition 8 and 9 - Deer Park wall protection
Condition 10 - Environmental Health (Construction timescales, noise times etc)
Condition 14 - Tree Protection measures
Condition 15 - Positions for foundations and hard paving

There's a couple of new plans in the documents, but nothing to exciting, unless you're into drainage, trees or anything like that ;)

"GCI site laydown area" was mentioned on one of the documents, giving 'official confirmation' of a GCI, although the original planning application's noise assessment pretty much confirmed this after giving 3 other GCIs as comparisons for noise levels. As already mentioned, there's a few bits expanding on construction timescales and budget too but nothing too exciting in the grand scheme of things just yet!

Would they be putting Kay Burley in the Wicker Man for the grand opening?

Anyway, yeah, kind of weird seeing the flume station smashed down like that. And, I'll say it again, look at all that lovely unused space in the third pic (plan) from the twitter guy who is probably getting a rollocking off his boss this morning. He did it for the cause though, respect :grinning:

Sad times regarding the flume.

Having just checked out the updated plans, must say I'm still very unimpressed by what they've got planned. This is geniunely the most boring and shortest layout I've ever seen on any coaster.

Saying that, Th13teen's outdoor section comes close.

It's not much different in length than Wodan (Wodan is more spread out and SW8 wraps around itself more). And Boulder at Liseberg is again quite short.

Layout doesn't inspire but GCI build good rides so hopefully there will be all the usual tricks of a Woden coaster. Plus you have the mysterious pre-show thing.

I'm not convinced but it's not dead in the water yet.

Don't forget that £15m will include all work surrounding the coaster, from construction all the way to marketing, because nothing says good like a giant price tag that raises expectations...

Don't forget that £15m will include all work surrounding the coaster, from construction all the way to marketing, because nothing says good like a giant price tag that raises expectations...

£15 million is the construction value quoted in the construction plan report and plan. So this wouldn't normally include marketing etc. It would however include demolition, planning costs and construction of course.

Wodan has height to generate speed and a relentless layout. Unless there is a launch of sorts I can't see this being the same. I'm sure it will be good fun but just like InvadR at BGW it could have been so much more.

As for The Wicker Man, I'm aware that it was a film from the 1970s but apart from that I am clueless. It sounds like another dark/horror theme though which is just great right? Merlin are slowly but surely ensuring that the entire park is covered in dark themes. Dark themes definitely have a place in theme parks, but not for the entire park!

:)

I would be very surprised if they ever used TG Cruse again as groundwork on The Smiler was poor

Easy to blame the contractor for that without knowing the full facts and constraints put upon them - of course, TG Cruse were useless with Thirteen, SAW and The Swarm too, no? It could be the other way round for all you know - they might not want to work with Merlin again....

There's not a lot else you can do with reinforced concrete channels other than smash them to bits . As for the fibreglass and steel sections, with some parts over 35 years old, they'd more than reached the end of their useful life, and were patched up to death anyway so were unusable anywhere else. As brutal as it all looks, the easiest way to go is to smash the whole lot up and recycle what you can from it.

Easy to blame the contractor for that without knowing the full facts and constraints put upon them - of course, TG Cruse were useless with Thirteen, SAW and The Swarm too, no? It could be the other way round for all you know - they might not want to work with Merlin again....

Oh of course! I've said in the past that not one sole party can be blamed as there was an accumulation of errors all stemmed from the fact that planning for The Smiler was rushed and therefore elements relating to what was below the existing ground were missed.

:)

I thought they were using the flumes station as a new smokehouse restaurant?

As for the theme, surely they'd have learnt from th13teen? I know we don't know the secret element yet, but I'm fairly confident I will be a family thrill ride. We don't need more dark themes, especially when its a family coaster.

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.