• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

2018: Wicker Man - General Discussion - SPOILERS! - Part One

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
Marketing for a family target audience will be intresting if wickerman is the theme, or we could just get a Th13teen repeat.

That's if it is themed to wickerman amyways, nothing official yet...
Looking at the promotion to the ride it seems to have a voyage style theme, I can see the SW being swinging track like a madhouse which would be very cool as a SW inside a room full of screens. I think the wickerman is a good idea but not for SW8, im more than convinced it will be a pirate voyage from the promotion that they done so far

To be honest a lot of people have been saying new family rides would benefit the park due to recent closures under the tlc program.

I am happy with a new investment, but we are only getting one wooden coaster, I just hope it's packed with airtime and plenty of other of elements!

the swarm has real aircrafts destroyed, B&M is naturally an expensive manufacturer, the theming is very good for a ride with theming during the ride.

The smiler track wise is huge, the marmeliser is a huge structure and the building as a whole is pretty big too, also the pit its dug into will of been an expensive job, its a huge investment at the 18 million is clear where it was spent, Id say the track its self was around 15-16 million, its a huge track

I was going to make a comment involving brown envelopes and lots of unmarked, non-sequential cash, but my lawyers have advised against it :p

This whole thing still looks very firmly "meh". I'm sure it'll be fun, I'm sure it'll pull in the punters but it just doesn't seem good enough compared to Construction 2018 and everything else Europe has to offer.

While the cost of the ride/construction will be £15 million, they will end up marketing it as a £20 million ride when marketing and all is added on.

It wouldn't surprise me if they market it as a thrill ride (even if it's obviously a family ride), the thrill market has had nothing since The Smiler (I'm not counting Galactica), so this is something that needs to be addressed given there have been multiple family years since with CBeebies being a huge focus the past few years. Th13teen 2.0 incoming.

I'm on the fence with this development so far. I like Th13teen's drop and theming (aside from the exposed corrugated metal at the back), although the outdoor layout is short and it was marketed wrongly. I like The Smiler's layout and design and the concept of the theme, however the poor attempts at theming and dire station building and depressing concrete pit let it down.

Third time lucky? Maybe they've taken notes from the past SW's? Or more likely it will be another ride that does one thing well, then does a lot bad.

Just keep thinking, hey, at least it's not Rita!

I'm pretty sure Th13teens marketing brought a great surge of guests wether it was targeted at the right people or not. Maybe these people did not return in a rush but correct me if I'm wrong it helped the park attract a larger amount of people.

If the analysis of the results of Th13teens marketing shows it work they will do this again. I'm pretty sure it's going to happen too.

I'm pretty sure Th13teens marketing brought a great surge of guests wether it was targeted at the right people or not. Maybe these people did not return in a rush but correct me if I'm wrong it helped the park attract a larger amount of people.

If the analysis of the results of Th13teens marketing shows it work they will do this again. I'm pretty sure it's going to happen too.
Promotion of thirteen in my opinion is what gave the park such great expectations, I remember my mother and sister went on opening day and they were dissapointed with the ride as a whole for what it was marketed at, but loved the rest of the parks thrill rides, now it wasnt the first time my sister went, but the friend she took was amazed with air, nemesis and rita.. so even if it was targeted wrong, it sort of made the rest of the rides popular and to be fully honest the rides were not as well known as th13teen was at that time to so many people

See I have to disagree about it being targeted "wrong". Th13teen is ment to have a dark theme, ment to be creepy, hence the theming. And the superstition surrounding Friday 13th.

Maybe it wasn't as thrilling as expected (just because it had a dark theme it doesn't have to be thrilling, this is a stereotype I disagree with) but the marketing was to establish that brand and that superstition which they created, very effectively. The limited theming around the ride too also implies this theme.

:banghead: us , merlin :rolleyes:
Im not sure what your bashing them as a company for? Its defenitly time for a family coaster, I went this halloween and my family took my 6 year old cousin, she was to old for the cbeebies land rides but was to small for rita galactica ect. and diddnt want to go on th13teen. She ended up really only going on the minetrain as she also diddnt want to go on spinball, something like this i think it perfect for that age range. And there due for something like the minetrain because th13teen is still 1 step up ridewise, even if it isnt "scary" like how it was promoted.

I dont really know what else they could of done, id definitly of liked to see a bigger scale wooden coaster, but im sure no matter what 2020/2021 will have an amazing coaster again, Id love to see what they could do with a wing coaster in rita's area but thats for another thread. Just think SW8 is great for the gap they are missing.

See I have to disagree about it being targeted "wrong". Th13teen is ment to have a dark theme, ment to be creepy, hence the theming. And the superstition surrounding Friday 13th.

Maybe it wasn't as thrilling as expected (just because it had a dark theme it doesn't have to be thrilling, this is a stereotype I disagree with) but the marketing was to establish that brand and that superstition which they created, very effectively. The limited theming around the ride too also implies this theme.

Merlin used the steriotype to mark it, the theming and adverts were similar to horror movies. However, i think its worked out for the best, because upon opening, thrill seekers were so eager to ride it and over time its gotten its family coaster name and reputation from the GP of the park, which is good because alton get the secondary market free

Last edited by a moderator:

Maybe it wasn't as thrilling as expected (just because it had a dark theme it doesn't have to be thrilling, this is a stereotype I disagree with) but the marketing was to establish that brand and that superstition which they created, very effectively. The limited theming around the ride too also implys this theme.

But they advertised it as "the world's first 'psycoaster' - every thrill ride you've ever dreamed of in one!". They claimed it was so scary and intense that there would be an age limit as well as a height limit.

Now, us enthusiasts knew better of course, we could tell from the plans alone that it wasn't going to be that amazing. But the public (and some less cynical enthusiasts) bought in to the hype and got let down.

I wouldnt say they were let down but it defenitly did gain the family coaster name and reputation between opening year and now, most visitors know it isnt a thrill coaster now

I totally agree with parts of what you're saying, some of it was too over exadurated but then again I think it did work out well, despite us lot feeling a little let down.

But Merlin care about the gp and focus on what they will think rather than us enthusiasts. I think we will see the same sort of marketing here. You never know, we might be in for some inversions!

For the record, I like Th13teen. ;)

Anyway, back to SW8; The plans fail to whelm me in any way. I'm currently drilling a borehole on a par with the Kola "well to hell" to place my expectations in.

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.