• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

2018: Wicker Man - General Discussion - SPOILERS! - Part One

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
I suprised when I heard this but there is definitely more to the story. The person who told me this knew about the wicker man theme 5 weeks ago

Well it would make sense for fire to be involved in some way for a wicker man theme.

However, I don't believe the theme of the ride is wicker man. Anyone could have come up with that as a slang name just because it's made of wood.

From what I have heard, it will be a 1.3m restriction, similar scare factor to 13 and the secret element is to do with fire

So we are getting a rollercoaster that will drop down, through a hoop of fire and then to finish off with a surprise fireball that will work on selected days, Mmmmmm reminds me of a ride but I just can't put my finger on it "Cough Cough Valhalla!"

Well towers do have a reputation for doing insurance jobs. Let me think...

SW8 is made of wood.... Secret element is fire... Ride looks crap etc...

I know!! Lets set fire to it and build a better ride. Put it on the insurance.

Yes, if history is anything to go by, rides and fire don't mix well at the park "Cough, Cough Skyride!"

:)

I can't see a family friendly ride being themed to the Wicker Man to be honest. And I don't deny that people will have heard things from seemingly credible sources, but it's better to be on the side of caution. Lots of rumours circulate during the build of a new ride, so it's best to wait and see.

For me the whole thing just looks like a wasted opportunity.

It wont make use of any of the woodland as apparently they aren't allowed even though there was a ride there for 35 years, it won't incorporate a lake or any water features despite replacing the park's staple water ride and the layout looks short and conservative even for a family ride.

People expect a log flume at a theme park and frankly this doesn't make up for losing it.

A lot can change quickly even during these stages of construction in terms of the theme. The theming/story/concept can go through many changes between now and 2018, they have months until they really need to crack on with making concepts a reality.

I will be disappointed if this doesn't fit in with Mutiny Bay. They seem to be going for the approach of rides in there own little areas, and not bothering with rides that link in with an area theme. Even some kind of abandoned pirates bay or salvaged ship wreak I would prefer far more over a Wicker Man theme. Mutiny Bay is probably the most coherently themed area on park, it would be a shame to not add to that. Given the Flume's theme never fitted in, SW8 is the chance to create a staple ride for the area that fits in.

I was hoping for some sort of pirate bay theme. Would look great there and would sort Mutiny Bay right out. But looking at the plans it's awfully close to both the Katanga pathway and the rapids.

From what I understand from Various people, the codename for the project is Wickerman. I reckon it's all a hoax for the geeks.

Hopefully they will pitch this one just right and not over hype like Thirteen. Don't think they have over hyped SW8 yet have they? Nice to see this thread get busier :)

I was hoping for some sort of pirate bay theme. Would look great there and would sort Mutiny Bay right out. But looking at the plans it's awfully close to both the Katanga pathway and the rapids.

Blending from a pirate theme to a congo theme shouldn't be too difficult though. Look at Adventureland at Disney and you have Jungle Cruise and Pirates of the Carribean in the same area. (not that Alton Towers will bother getting even close to that level of themeing).

Blending from a pirate theme to a congo theme shouldn't be too difficult though. Look at Adventureland at Disney and you have Jungle Cruise and Pirates of the Carribean in the same area. (not that Alton Towers will bother getting even close to that level of themeing).
Well what I'm expecting is a post apocalyptic, space travel theme with fences and shipping containers.

Do Merlin have the same budget as Disney though?

There is NO way on earth Merlin could have the same amount of money.

Disney parks pull people in from all around the world. They are in multiple countries. Disney also has huge revenues from its movies.

Lets get real here, Disney is huge, Merlin is just a small pebble in the ocean compared to them.

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.