• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

2018: Wicker Man - General Discussion - SPOILERS! - Part One

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
What exactly do you mean? If things are having to be demolished to make way for a new attraction and buildings then demolition always looks like a total mess. Or are you saying that the whole project is just unnecessary?

:)
Mexican cantina and I thought the Flume station was supposed to be staying?

Mexican Cantina was always going. It did appear that The Flume's turntable was going to remain but I'm guessing they found it wasn't in the best condition and not worth actually keeping. I'd rather not have an old decaying structure like that in the middle of a new ride anyway!

Here are some more photos from TowersStreet Facebook:

15542445_1278598252210616_817101174909795798_n.jpg

15492141_1278598255543949_5677108155858656356_n.jpg

15400571_1278598282210613_4345482327514617234_n.jpg

15390932_1278598285543946_8837898375662534329_n.jpg

That's a pretty big hole that's being dug, looks like it's for the station building and lower level mainteance shed. Let's hope they don't havw any issues with water when digging a la Smiler!

:)

At least they have started this project 6 months earlier than they did with the Smiler & Thirteen, should give them time if any issues do arise. If i remember correctly this project has started at a similar time to when they started building Oblivion and Air.

Just out of intrest was the circular building shown on the planning application confirmed to be the flumes station? They could just be building a restruant building that is round?

With this, ive just thought about the one thing a GCI [or pretty much every wooden coaster limits] which is a throughput like everything but rita and smiler have a decent one at towers. I think a 4 accross seating on a woodie could be really good, and as its a family coaster by the looks of it, it would be a good thing experience wise too. I doubt it will be a 4 across but if they are doing that, it could be a really cool feature which would also help the rides pace, making it double the potential speed of a basic modern GCI train. I also think that the 'SW' will be something cool once again like th13teen was. I also think merlin will want to use the 360 tunnel track inversion thing that we saw from the smiler, although I dont think/hope it wont be on this, if they redo duel or make a new thrilling dark ride that would be a good thing, but thats SW9 :cool:

Reactions: pj
EP managed to get a decent throuput out of Wodan.... but that required no seatbelts (which will never be allowed over here) and custom software programmed in-house.

Maybe this will be a worlds first "let's trust the manufacturers restraint systems without modification" or sod it worlds first otsr modern woodie??

I can imagine this ride will be simelar to Kings Islands Mystic Timber coaster but with the special secret effect before the ride rather than after.

Well, I may not be happy about SW8 but good riddance to that old heap of junk. At least they've managed to do this pretty quick unlike the time they left the Black Hole sitting like an eyesore for 8 years.

That area is long overdue a spruce up anyway since they never ever bothered to tidy up The Flume.

Well, I may not be happy about SW8 but good riddance to that old heap of junk. At least they've managed to do this pretty quick unlike the time they left the Black Hole sitting like an eyesore for 8 years.

That area is long overdue a spruce up anyway since they never ever bothered to tidy up The Flume.
Pretty quick? It was quick compared to the black hole but the flume was sitting there all of 2016 season SBNO over growing as well :p admittedly there wasn't much that could be done with planning going in. ;)

I wonder what the trains will look like for SW8. GCI have shown use that they can build very nice, well themed trains at IAPAA 2016 and TH13TEEN's and The Smiler's trains were quite creative. And also it would look abit weird to have generic GCI trains on a (what looks to be) heavily themed wooden coaster.

Everyone's long since forgotten that Alton Towers used to have a looping coaster with a simple lap bar.

I'm not expecting throughput to be over 1000/hr for this one, because wooden coasters almost always have mediocre capacities unless they have huge trains, are duelling or are at Europa Park - none of which will be the case with SW8

Agreed, and quite frankly that's not good enough. Smiler's main queue moves awfully slowly before ride close gets rid of fastrack and exit riders and finally gives main the full capacity. I'm expecting this to have an even lower throughput, so I'm not looking forward to the queue times.

I suppose there is a chance this could run three trains, assuming there really is some kind of show room between the station and lift.

... And just like Thirteen, it will always be run at maximum capacity for the rest of it's life, of course.

It does look as if it could run 3 trains, especially if the offload is seperate to the onload like Rita. Did that ever crop up in the plans?

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.