• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

2018: Wicker Man - General Discussion - SPOILERS! - Part One

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
If you have to go back on yourself to get to Katanga canyon I doubt I'll be going there much,, although the area can have a lovely atmosphere sometimes, especially whilst the sun is setting at scarefest!

If you have to go back on yourself to get to Katanga canyon I doubt I'll be going there much,, although the area can have a lovely atmosphere sometimes, especially whilst the sun is setting at scarefest!

Yeah, but you might get some decent photo opportunities of construction up that way if you're that way inclined ;)

Wouldn't it be more cost effective to just close Katanga in 2017.....!

;)

I want to speak marketing for a minute. I was talking to Saz about this at the weekend and I really hope that Towers change their marketing approach for SW8 and do what so many other parks in Europe and the USA do, show off the coaster!

By this I'm thinking a release of a POV made by GCI as well as off ride videos, computer generated images of the coaster, regular construction updates and features (such as videos). Generate a hype in this was rather than the mysterious "ooh what is our coaster going to be, ooh you'll just have to wait and see, we don't want to tell you anything." That approach works for genuine worlds firsts, protypes or similar. However it is utterly pointless for a standard wooden coaster where we have already seen the god damn plans. So show the public more, show them what you are building; BGW are doing it, Kings Island are doing it (all Cedar Fair parks do actually), Liseberg have done it, heck even Blackpool are doing it!

Sure, if there are some pre-show effects or similar, keep them under wraps and do not include them in the promotional material. Kings Island are doing this with Mystic Timbers - #WhatsInTheShed!

Take a different approach Alton Towers, please, because I think you need it for this.

:)

A lot of enthusiasts believe that the SW tag has been devalued, but I still think that SW8 is not going to be just another GCI woody, albeit smaller, lower and shorter. A GCI woody this size does not cost £15 million and I think they are out to surprise us somewhere. Presumably, the people in charge will have a point to prove coming out of JW''s shadow.

I was trying to find the cost of a similar GCI in size - InvadR at Busch Gardens but can't seem to find anywhere how much that is costing :confused:

Heidi The Ride at Plopsaland in Belgium is a new similar small GCI Woodie and is costing around £6million, even with higher costs in the UK and the fact it's a launched lift, this ride is priced very high for just a basic woodie as you said. I have a feeling there is more to this ride than Alton are leading you to believe, they do have a track record for secretive elements.

Heidi The Ride
https://rcdb.com/7645.htm

I was trying to find the cost of a similar GCI in size - InvadR at Busch Gardens but can't seem to find anywhere how much that is costing :confused:

Heidi The Ride at Plopsaland in Belgium is a new similar small GCI Woodie and is costing around £6million, even with higher costs in the UK and the fact it's a launched lift, this ride is priced very high for just a basic woodie as you said. I have a feeling there is more to this ride than Alton are leading you to believe, they do have a track record for secretive elements.

Heidi The Ride
https://rcdb.com/7645.htm

It could also be Merlin exaggerating the budget of the ride. For example, I don't believe Th13teen actually cost £16 million, considering the final product. I think it'll be the same case here.

I want to speak marketing for a minute. I was talking to Saz about this at the weekend and I really hope that Towers change their marketing approach for SW8 and do what so many other parks in Europe and the USA do, show off the coaster!

By this I'm thinking a release of a POV made by GCI as well as off ride videos, computer generated images of the coaster, regular construction updates and features (such as videos). Generate a hype in this was rather than the mysterious "ooh what is our coaster going to be, ooh you'll just have to wait and see, we don't want to tell you anything." That approach works for genuine worlds firsts, protypes or similar. However it is utterly pointless for a standard wooden coaster where we have already seen the god damn plans. So show the public more, show them what you are building; BGW are doing it, Kings Island are doing it (all Cedar Fair parks do actually), Liseberg have done it, heck even Blackpool are doing it!

Sure, if there are some pre-show effects or similar, keep them under wraps and do not include them in the promotional material. Kings Island are doing this with Mystic Timbers - #WhatsInTheShed!

Take a different approach Alton Towers, please, because I think you need it for this.

I agree with most of your points, but I don't think it will happen.

First of all, the clue is in the project name. It's a SW, and the secret is an AT tradition.

Secondly, AT will pretend that SW8 does not exist for most of this season,to prevent the general public (not enthusiasts like us), delaying their next trip until it opens.

Of course if I were in charge, I would be hyping it big from late August and using the huge audience at Fireworks 2017 to introduce it, show how it is for the whole family, and get them back in 2018.

Of course they will probably, just pretend it does not exist, introduce a logo on the back of a cereal packet in Jan 2018 and release the name via a poster on a London underpass in Feb 2018... Deja Vu!

Not really SW8 related but The Flume's Future related but I think I have found pictures of The Flume bathtubs as beds in thr hotel. Picture here. I know the rooms don't exist at the moment because it is obvious it is a digital image. Nice to see a memorial to The Flume.

Not really SW8 related but The Flume's Future related but I think I have found pictures of The Flume bathtubs as beds in thr hotel. Picture here. I know the rooms don't exist at the moment because it is obvious it is a digital image. Nice to see a memorial to The Flume.
They've been there for a while. The splash rooms (I think that's what they're called, they're imperial leather themed) have been there years, it's not the actual flume bathtubs

I like how RCDB are still not recognising that Alton are building a new coaster despite groundwork etc starting.

Mandy Land's coaster is on there though.

Reactions: Rob
I thought that myself, for some reason they seem rather fussy when it comes to putting Alton's coasters on.

I think it's got something to do with the owner of RCDB holding a bit of a grudge against Towers. AFAIK, he put details of a planned coaster at Towers on there which then turned out to never happen. Since then, he's held off putting anything on there from Towers up until he sees proper solid evidence of construction. Does seem a bit petty tbh.

Towers go about teasing their rides weirdly.

American parks show a full POV of the ride before it's even began construction, EP show blueprints and concept art.

Towers is like the reversal.

It is a bit early for Towers to be marketing to be honest, I mean the ride is not due to open for just over a year. I think we're expecting it because Mandy has plastered Construction 24 Years in places. PBB's Marketing budget is not going to be anywhere near Alton's so getting in early and word of mouth I think is vital for them. Mean Streak at Cedar Point has had very little marketing so far.

It is a bit early for Towers to be marketing to be honest, I mean the ride is not due to open for just over a year. I think we're expecting it because Mandy has plastered Construction 24 Years in places. PBB's Marketing budget is not going to be anywhere near Alton's so getting in early and word of mouth I think is vital for them. Mean Streak at Cedar Point has had very little marketing so far.

You are spot on, it is too early to really get going with marketing. I'd be hoping for some more teasers around the park at the start of the season, then a full annoucement in June/July/August time, especially as the coaster will be rising then. And as I said before I want a full blown annoucement with videos, renderings, stats - the lot! It's not going to happen mind.

What do you mean though? Nothing is happening with Mean Streak...! :p Cedar Point have been really clever with what they have done so far, plenty of teasers for enthusiasts but the public will have very little idea of what is going on right now. The park know that fans have wanted Mean Streak to be RMC'd for a while now!

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.