• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

2018: Wicker Man - General Discussion - SPOILERS! - Part One

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
What do you mean though? Nothing is happening with Mean Streak...! :p Cedar Point have been really clever with what they have done so far, plenty of teasers for enthusiasts but the public will have very little idea of what is going on right now. The park know that fans have wanted Mean Streak to be RMC'd for a while now!

:)

Oi! Mr put words in my mouth! :p

I never said nothing, I said very little. There's been no POV or layout etc, only 'Classified' hints, which you could argue Alton have given us with the SW tag ;)

Sorry, I meant that Cedar Point are pretending that nothing is happening, not that you are saying that!

:)

When you say posting videos and showing off the coaster to create hype... I assume you mean something like this Rob?!

I mean, what a video, if that doesn't drum up interest and excitement I don't know what would!

I fully agree with yourself and Saz, it's one thing to keep secrets with a genuine world first such as Oblivion and Thirteen (though that was marketed poorly, even if it did work in filling the park) But for something like this... Just create excitement and interest. As you say, Cedar Fair parks with their press announcement nights have got it down to a tee!!

When you say posting videos and showing off the coaster to create hype... I assume you mean something like this Rob?!

I mean, what a video, if that doesn't drum up interest and excitement I don't know what would!

I fully agree with yourself and Saz, it's one thing to keep secrets with a genuine world first such as Oblivion and Thirteen (though that was marketed poorly, even if it did work in filling the park) But for something like this... Just create excitement and interest. As you say, Cedar Fair parks with their press announcement nights have got it down to a tee!!

When I watched that yesterday I was salivating... Can't wait to go on that ride!

The music, the filming was all brilliant. Amazing hype creator without seeing a single train go round the track!

I think it would be great if towers started marketing within the park and on social media quite early on during this season. It's a quiet season outside of CBeebies this year and if promotional material appeared around the park I think it would be create a hype. The smilers marketing worked very well and I think establishing the brand early could be beneficial, because there's nothing new making the average family feel the need to come back...

Do you guys think that the new family coaster that SW8 is set to be could mean that spinball whizzer will be removed and SW8 will act like a patch to their line up?

I think SW8 would make a good replacement it will be more reliable higher capacity and better theming. Spinball has caused lots of controversy with the locals and also is super unreliable.So i see it getting demolished for expansion room for cbeebies land Adventure land is dead anyway. And SW8 should be a worthy family coaster to replace it.

Do you guys think that the new family coaster that SW8 is set to be could mean that spinball whizzer will be removed and SW8 will act like a patch to their line up?

Unless Merlin have gone completely loopy (which is very possible), they won't be closing spinball anytime soon. They offered the ride as a sacrificial lamb for the cross valley project but this never happened. They definitely would like the space to expand CBeebies land but they also know that the locals hate the ride and as with everything at the park big new investment requires some offer to make the park less intrusive (Th13teen replaced the noisy beast that was Corkscrew, SW8 returned the borders of the gardens from the intrusion of the flume, Smiler is less visually intrusive than the black hole tent).

So I would guess If the park survives the next secret weapon then spinball will be given up for something more ambitious.

Unless Merlin have gone completely loopy (which is very possible), they won't be closing spinball anytime soon. They offered the ride as a sacrificial lamb for the cross valley project but this never happened. They definitely would like the space to expand CBeebies land but they also know that the locals hate the ride and as with everything at the park big new investment requires some offer to make the park less intrusive (Th13teen replaced the noisy beast that was Corkscrew, SW8 returned the borders of the gardens from the intrusion of the flume, Smiler is less visually intrusive than the black hole tent).

So I would guess If the park survives the next secret weapon then spinball will be given up for something more ambitious.
Yeah I think that it is a good site for something considering its proximity to the backstage areas. Maybe we could see another family coaster. I highly doubt that we will see another dark ride as some people have been suggesting. Might be a good site for a cbeebies water ride or kids flats.

I just had a thought about SW8, what if the first drop was a dive drop with the sound tunnel covering the drop so people would not know the inversion was there until they go on it... It seems unlikely but I just thought I would post it here.

Spinball is one of those rides I really can't make my mind up on.

I want to hate it - it's loud, garish, badly themed, has an utterly horrendous throughput and intrudes upon the beauty of the Towers and lawns. However....you can't help but feel excited when you walk past it upon entering the park and it really is a fun coaster, a proper modern version of the classic wild mouse.

Not only that but it perfectly fills that gap in the line-up between the major coasters and RMT, ideal for the 8-14 age group. Also, unlike Rita it didn't bulldoze through a previously good area of the park or require ride removal, it only replaced some tired old kids play equipment so I find it hard to resent the ride.

I think overall I would be sad to see it go or even moved outside of the park, unless they build something better somewhere else in the park, but really I can't think where an equivalent ride could go other than coaster corner.

SW8 will probably have more family appeal than Spinball as it looks like it will be less intense, but I think the park needs both rides in its lineup.

I just had a thought about SW8, what if the first drop was a dive drop with the sound tunnel covering the drop so people would not know the inversion was there until they go on it... It seems unlikely but I just thought I would post it here.
That is a very interesting idea. I doubt that it will happen with SW8 looks like a family coaster but I think that idea would be great on another wooden coaster maybe if Thorpe get one in future.

Spinball is one of those rides I really can't make my mind up on.

I want to hate it - it's loud, garish, badly themed, has an utterly horrendous throughput and intrudes upon the beauty of the Towers and lawns. However....you can't help but feel excited when you walk past it upon entering the park and it really is a fun coaster, a proper modern version of the classic wild mouse.

Not only that but it perfectly fills that gap in the line-up between the major coasters and RMT, ideal for the 8-14 age group. Also, unlike Rita it didn't bulldoze through a previously good area of the park or require ride removal, it only replaced some tired old kids play equipment so I find it hard to resent the ride.

I think overall I would be sad to see it go or even moved outside of the park, unless they build something better somewhere else in the park, but really I can't think where an equivalent ride could go other than coaster corner.

SW8 will probably have more family appeal than Spinball as it looks like it will be less intense, but I think the park needs both rides in its lineup.
Yes this is true I personally like Spinball as a coaster but I don't think that it fits with the overall vision for the park and I tend to think something like a Mack family coaster would be a worthy replacement. It would have to be slightly smaller in height maybe the same length it could do with lots of theming etc. Maybe some form of water ride would be good as it creates the same excitement as you pass it. It could be fun to ride.

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought had a thought, You know how the flume's old station was meant to be a Mexican Restaurant, and you know how people keep talking about a Tribal/Voodoo theme, isn't Mexico in South America, aren't there tribes in South America(In the Amazon, I think) I just thought that could be evidence to SW8 having a Tribal theme... I dunno though, I'm just speculating though, this is Merlin were on about. :p

Last edited:
I didn't catch the rumour that the old station was meant to become a mexican restaurant. Maybe I missed that, so my apologies if so. Maybe you're getting mixed up with the Mexican Cantina that used to be near the flume? Once again, apologies if I'm wrong and have made myself look a tit :)

I thought had a thought, You know how the flume's old station was meant to be a Mexican Restaurant, and you know how people keep talking about a Tribal/Voodoo theme, isn't Mexico in South America, aren't there tribes in South America(In the Amazon, I think) I just thought that could be evidence to SW8 having a Tribal theme... I dunno though, I'm just speculating though, this is Merlin were on about. :p

It was originally meant to be a Smokehouse, which suggests more of a deep Southern American feel tbh :)

It wasn't.
One set of plans had it as a smokehouse (same concept as Chessington got) so southern USA BBQ food.
The Mexican restaurant was an existing building near the flume's entrance.
:banghead: My mistake...
It was originally meant to be a Smokehouse, which suggests more of a deep Southern American feel tbh :)
That's exactly what I was trying to say! :p

I knew it was going to be some sort of South American food outlet, I would of liked another good food outlet at the park as all it really has is fast food, RCR and... Nothing else, maybe we will see it somewhere else in the future... If it was built it would of given SW8 a distinctive smell. Which I would of liked... Towers, if you are reading this,please still build one I like BBQ food and the park needs something in terms of food outlets between RCR and the Pizza/Pasta place.

EDIT: Actually I'm glad they didn't build the smokehouse as that would of made me want to eat SW8...

Last edited:
Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.