• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

2018: Wicker Man - General Discussion - SPOILERS! - Part One

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
Merlin use licenced IPs to catch on to flavour of the day trends only, which neither of the Wicker man films are, so I really doubt this will be themed to a film.

Maybe it will just be themed around a man sat in a wicker chair?
1.jpg

happy-man-sits-wicker-hanging-chair-near-wooden-wall-house-34670311.jpg

Maybe it'll be themed to tribal wicker men? I've heard people saying that SW8 will be themed to Katanga Canyon, rather than Mutiny Bay. Not sure how reliable that info is though.

Why does everyone presume they have to use the IP? Wicker Man is a thing other than the movie you know :p

This is certainly something worth baring in mind!

Regardless of whether it is an IP, something using a wicker man type theme, or something totally different, I do feel that Towers may need to go full Thirteen with the marketing. SW8 needs to have hype, it needs to get numbers through the gate. If it does not bring the recovery to Alton Towers that Merlin expect then I feel it will be even more worrying times ahead for the park. Over hype it if needs be, just get those people in and then make sure there is an additional reason to return in 2019 (unlike 2011).

:)

I like how RCDB are still not recognising that Alton are building a new coaster despite groundwork etc starting.

Mandy Land's coaster is on there though.
Doesn't Duane only stick stuff on there when it's announced? SW8 isn't on there, neither is Meaner Streak - he takes cues from information released by the parks, as far as I know?

Doesn't Duane only stick stuff on there when it's announced? SW8 isn't on there, neither is Meaner Streak - he takes cues from information released by the parks, as far as I know?

It's either when there's been an announcement, or when there are pictures of track on site. Which, as is always the case with Towers coasters, doesn't happen until much later on in the process :p

Wouldn't trust anything on RCDB after CredGate the other year...

But yeah, it's only usually done when there's actual concrete stuff or whatever...

It's either when there's been an announcement, or when there are pictures of track on site. Which, as is always the case with Towers coasters, doesn't happen until much later on in the process :p
Mean Streak is half done?

I remember when Resident Evil 5 was released nor far short of a decade ago and it had tonnes of criticism for it's "African horror" clichés. Basically, it looked to outsiders like it was depicting African people as uncivilised savages and used every clichéd ancient African stereotype in the book.

Surely, in 2018, a ride themed around African Voodoo rituals would be rather risqué to say the least?

I remember when Resident Evil 5 was released nor far short of a decade ago and it had tonnes of criticism for it's "African horror" clichés. Basically, it looked to outsiders like it was depicting African people as uncivilised savages and used every clichéd ancient African stereotype in the book.

Surely, in 2018, a ride themed around African Voodoo rituals would be rather risqué to say the least?

It's ok it's just white ppl hurting each other, no dramas!
Although "looking from the outside" I do feel guilty as I once traumatised a wicker basket.

Nah I'm referring to when Duane decided to remove certain 'new' coasters because they were clones of ones that existed prior (such as the Plopsa Tivoli)... There was much OUTRAGE because it reduced many a count (even though they were actually different coasters)...

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.