• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

2018: Wicker Man - General Discussion - SPOILERS! - Part One

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
I thought this too.

So slap bang between, and clearly visible and audible from, a pirate themed area and an African themed area will be a Wickerman coaster themed to Gloomy Wood. Sounds like a right mess.
It will be dominating but I think it's unlikely that it will have the wicker man theme. I'm thinking that they will have to create some kind of barrier. They could choose to plant trees around the coaster to provide a barrier. The line of trees could be quite wide which would prevent sound leakage. They could also build some form of a fence.
If they make MB more dark pirate themed it could work well and KK wouldn't be visible if there were trees and fences in the way. They could add more theming or rock work around the top half of the rapids so you couldn't see the coaster.

Or they could just make it part of Mutiny Bay... Would make things much easier.
yeah, I can see them making the theme of MB darker. As long as they build a visible barrier it should be fine. I can see a possible re-theme of MB but it's not needed or likely MB theme needs to be darker.

Well, whichever area it ends up "in" (and it wouldn't surprise me if they classed it as a whole new one), my money is on them painting it black.
I don't want yet another stupidly small themed area at Alton if they make it a new area there needs to be supporting flats which won't happen. It is possible that duel gets a new theme that aligns with the 'new' themed area they create if the create one.
I would like to see gloomy wood disappear because it clashes with dark forest.

It is possible that MB gets a re-theme along with GW.

Last edited by a moderator:
If they do go with the wickerman theme it seems a little too close to 13's theme (although I havn't seen the film in years). So what dark theme have they not done yet, they have done evil institution, alien, super natural cult, Haunted house (ish) whats left to do in terms of darker themes on a coaster? Mad scientist? Werewolf? I am interested to see the theme this gets.

In all honesty I wouldn't have minded something like Mystic Timbers at Kings Island. It's spooky, but still family friendly. Won't happen though as that would just be copying.

I still want to see a steampunk themed ride/area at Towers. Won't happen with SW8 for obvious reasons, although it's a theme I'd love to see in the theme park in future. It's a shame none of Tussaud's steampunk concepts became a reality in the 80s/90s.

I think the evidence supports some SW8 merchandise this year. Merlin did it at Thorpe Park the year before DBGT opened with Mind the Gap T Shirts and hoodies.

With the SW8 logo on the fence, the coach park and now the map, I feel sure this will happen. Does anyone else think so?

Merlin, you can put me down for an SW8 T Shirt. (XXL... gotta go from pie and chips to salads... Eugh!)

I think the evidence supports some SW8 merchandise this year. Merlin did it at Thorpe Park the year before DBGT opened with Mind the Gap T Shirts and hoodies.

I had a t-shirt the autumn before Air opened with the logo and "aerial inverted ride" text. The shirt was £25 or similar with a ticket for next season included.

Also remember there was Smiler tshirt, mug and hoody out the Scarefest before the ride opened, just with the logo on it and no name.

There has been some suggestion that access to this ride will be via the path behind the river rapids that goes between GW and MB.

I think there is some clutching at straws going on and in my opinion the plans are far more reliable than the Alton Towers map. It makes much more sense to have the entrance where it is shown on the plans, around where the Flume's exit was, rather than having it hidden around the back somewhere.

I think the most likely scenario is that SW8 will have its entrance in Mutiny Bay but with a theme that does not really fit in.

:)

Unless they are looking to change mutiny bay?

It would be a far too expensive, laborious and frankly pointless task to retheme Battle Galleons, Sharkbait Reef and Marauders Mayhem which are some of the best themed attractions on park (not saying much really) even if the area itself is tired.

SW8 needs to be pirate themed in some way but done with a twist to give Mutiny Bay more depth to its presently shallow and hackneyed 'brown paint and skull and crossbones' pirate theme.

But alas, it's Merlin, obsessed with their USP's and IP's so the whole creative approach will be marketing led and we will likely end up with a theme clashing standalone attraction like Galactica, Derren Brown, Gruffalo etc.

They really only care about getting people through the gates.

I've heard that the ride entrance will be in the Dark Forest, using the cross valley path as the queueline.
The ride exit will be in Forbidden Valley, coming out behind Galactica.
There will be a VIP/Fasttrack entrance and exit by the Courtyard Tavern.

You heard it here first.

It would be a far too expensive, laborious and frankly pointless task to retheme Battle Galleons, Sharkbait Reef and Marauders Mayhem which are some of the best themed attractions on park (not saying much really) even if the area itself is tired.

SW8 needs to be pirate themed in some way but done with a twist to give Mutiny Bay more depth to its presently shallow and hackneyed 'brown paint and skull and crossbones' pirate theme.

But alas, it's Merlin, obsessed with their USP's and IP's so the whole creative approach will be marketing led and we will likely end up with a theme clashing standalone attraction like Galactica, Derren Brown, Gruffalo etc.

They really only care about getting people through the gates.
Yes this is true but it is possible to go with a dark themed pirate coaster skeletons etc.

If they do go with the wickerman theme it seems a little too close to 13's theme (although I havn't seen the film in years). So what dark theme have they not done yet, they have done evil institution, alien, super natural cult, Haunted house (ish) whats left to do in terms of darker themes on a coaster? Mad scientist? Werewolf? I am interested to see the theme this gets.
I like the idea of the werewolf.

I still want to see a steampunk themed ride/area at Towers. Won't happen with SW8 for obvious reasons, although it's a theme I'd love to see in the theme park in future. It's a shame none of Tussaud's steampunk concepts became a reality in the 80s/90s.
I like the idea of a steampunk area maybe it could be to replace cloud cuckoo land.

Last edited by a moderator:
Interesting that Haunted Hollow has a 44a and 44b. I wonder if this is something to do with SW8 construction?

Maybe because there are now two Gloomy Wood Paths, if you look at the map:

e5fef06f5a224d70ab5d75382789035d.png

Maybe? But all speculation at this point

Interesting that Haunted Hollow has a 44a and 44b. I wonder if this is something to do with SW8 construction?

Its actually going to be a really simple explanation (but the on the low-res image its hard to see it). 44a will be the Mutiny Bay end of the Haunted Hollow and 44b will be the Gloomy Wood end.
The SW8 bypass path alongside the rapids won't be marked on the map as it is just an path not a themed attraction.

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.