• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

2018: Wicker Man - General Discussion - SPOILERS! - Part One

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
I'd rather they built it properly and hid the experience with no animated POV than provide an animation but build slowly to try and hide the ride and then Smiler it again with opening times

Reactions: pj
C9cmEdTXkAAjK-f.jpg

Edit: forgot the link and credit :oops:
Still taken from

Last edited:
I have heard it going to be theme around travelling the world. And the centre piece is a alan wickerman :D

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Seems like such a wasted opportunity with that site.

They could easily have a ride like Chiapas weaving in and out of SW8.

I also hope they properly re-landscape the Katanga path to hide the concrete station from view.

Hears my very good representation of the layout.
SW8_overview.jpg

If you look close enough The Wickerman has a smiley face.

It's not very accurate but it gives a rough layout and representation of SW8.

Nice aerial photo, and nice job on the layout of the coaster. I still feel exceptionally disappointed by how short the layout is. Take into account how much track they crammed in to The Smiler's site and it just doesn't fair up well at all. A waste of The Flume's site in my opinion.

I also hope they properly re-landscape the Katanga path to hide the concrete station from view.

Agreed. Just because this is their latest investment doesn't mean KC should be given the elbow. When entering KC via the pond I don't want to see SW8 overpowering the area. They need to blend it in, or better yet just conceal that side of the building with large trees. Bamboo should do it, nice and cheap.

Nice aerial photo, and nice job on the layout of the coaster. I still feel exceptionally disappointed by how short the layout is. Take into account how much track they crammed in to The Smiler's site and it just doesn't fair up well at all. A waste of The Flume's site in my opinion.

Agreed. Just because this is their latest investment doesn't mean KC should be given the elbow. When entering KC via the pond I don't want to see SW8 overpowering the area. They need to blend it in, or better yet just conceal that side of the building with large trees. Bamboo should do it, nice and cheap.
This coaster has already taken over this area of the park. The end of the Rapids is now ruined, as the KC pathway will be when it reopens. KC was a fantastic area of the park that felt like it was very secluded and immersive, despite being so close to MB. This coaster will dominate both areas, so the way I see it, it is guaranteed to ruin at least one of them (if not both)

I also agree that the pathetically short layout is a complete wasted opportunity for this site. This could have been an intense winding coaster with a low speed but tight curves and sharp bunny hops. Of course there's still the possibility that we've been played all along and there's much more to this than the plans suggest. But......

Of course there's still the possibility that we've been played all along and there's much more to this than the plans suggest. But......

No mate, I think you're absolutely correct. As many of us realists suggested from the start, this is a project that will probably turn out to be a decent family ride which may even be slightly better than Thirteen, but unless they have done something truly 'groundbreaking', it will be a let down for enthusiasts, given the relatively small space they are using. And before anyone says, 'Hey, who say's it's aimed at enthusiasts' etc? We're not the ones who put the SW tag on it, are we?

Hears my very good representation of the layout.
SW8_overview.jpg

If you look close enough The Wickerman has a smiley face.

It's not very accurate but it gives a rough layout and representation of SW8.

I've said it before, but, I'll never stop thinking how this ride could have been better by utilising all of that space in the woods to the top left. I shake my head at the situation. I still look forward to the new ride though. It's gonna be interesting.

I must be the only person really excited about this ride! I love GCI woodies and think that the location and terrain looks really interesting. Always get excited when large holes start to appear everywhere and I've been hoping for a woodie at towers for years. I get that it's a little short, but I don't really mind that because Joris is one of my favourite coasters and it's short too (so is Nemesis which is the best coaster at Alton!) The comments about the KC path and rapids area being ruined, I can't get my head around... if this was a space themed coaster with metallic finishes, I'd agree, but from all of the plans it looks to be whitewashed thatched buildings and the coaster is wooden so it will fit in fine! They cant not build rides next to other areas because of theme clashes, theres only so much they can do within the already strict planning conditions. This will be a good solid addition to the park and for me is right choice of ride in the right area. £15m on a GCI woodie that complies with planning and is at worst sensitively themed inbetween KC and Mutiny Bay, if someone told me Merlin would build that even before the smiler incident i' d have laughed them out of town.

I've said it before, but, I'll never stop thinking how this ride could have been better by using all of that space in the woods to the top left (and beyond). I shake my head at the situation. I still look forward to the new ride though. It's gonna be interesting.
I must be the only person really excited about this ride! I love GCI woodies and think that the location and terrain looks really interesting. Always get excited when large holes start to appear everywhere and I've been hoping for a woodie at towers for years. I get that it's a little short, but I don't really mind that because Joris is one of my favourite coasters and it's short too (so is Nemesis which is the best coaster at Alton!) The comments about the KC path and rapids area being ruined, I can't get my head around... if this was a space themed coaster with metallic finishes, I'd agree, but from all of the plans it looks to be whitewashed thatched buildings and the coaster is wooden so it will fit in fine! They cant not build rides next to other areas because of theme clashes, theres only so much they can do within the already strict planning conditions. This will be a good solid addition to the park and for me is right choice of ride in the right area. £15m on a GCI woodie that complies with planning and is at worst sensitively themed inbetween KC and Mutiny Bay, if someone told me Merlin would build that even before the smiler incident i' d have laughed them out of town.

Yeah, don't get me wrong, I agree that it will probably be a good ride and will almost certainly attract the crowds. It just could have been better. I'll stop banging on about that though, because I'm even boring myself :)

It's a shame this ride couldn't have utilised some of the space where The Flume sat. It does seem like Towers have bent over backwards for the local planning authority this time. It was mentioned a while back SW8 was planned to be in Forbidden Valley, so perhaps they did not have time to create something more substantial and the ride we're getting was conceived quickly.

Still, most of Towers latest additions have been very safe, and haven't really pushed the boundaries of the local authority. Given the position of Towers (major employer, provides a lot to the local economy) they should be pushing to create grander/better rides.

I'm not writing this project off just yet, but I'm not excited for it either. Maybe there's more to it, we'll see.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

Still, most of Towers latest additions have been very safe, and haven't really pushed the boundaries of the local authority. Given the position of Towers (major employer, provides a lot to the local economy) they should be pushing to create grander/better rides.
I don't disagree with a lot of what you say, but I would say that 'safe' in terms of planning etc, doesn't make for a better ride.

Thunder Looper was an eyesore and wasn't well thought out in terms of its placement, the design of Nemesis was extremely careful as not to create the same problem - but I'd take Nemesis over Thunder Looper any day - as much as I do miss that ride.

I think the potential for a declined planning application is too much of a risk for the park - it would likely blow out timescales by months.

I have no concerns of SW8 being a terrible ride, however I still feel it's a bit of a missed opportunity where Towers could've built something amazing but will most likely just be ok.

The main problems with the planning are likely the strict/specific planning aspects amongst unfortunate events of recent years having an impact on guest numbers and budgets.

SW8 still has potential to be a great ride if theming and styling undergone correctly and at the end of the day will mean Towers finally has a woodie and another family/thrill coaster that will even the gap in the lineup. It will also be the first new Uk woodie in over 20 years.

I'm not disappointed SW8 isn't going into the woodlands. In fact I'm glad it isn't! It certainly would of meant the removal of another ride to help with the planning application *Cough* Spinball Whizzer *Cough* and would of generated a lot noise in a relatively quite area of the park (eg the gardens).

Think of SW8 like the GCI El Toro, A compact family ride that ranks well overall. Not to mention the launch, theming and landscaping SW8 will have. Every time I see the construction pit for SW8, it just makes me more excited for it! :D

For the flume's site I always wanted to see a watercoaster type ride, something a long the lines of Jouney To Atlantis but a bit smaller and pirate themed.

Just please, please (PLEASE), don't let this be Wicker Man themed. That would be awful, and an instant flop for the park. Reason being:
  • The original film is from 1973
  • The 2006 remake was terrible and holds an IMDB score of 3.7
  • There is no known new remake coming out, and if there is that will be a flop too.
  • It has zero appeal for families!
  • It's not a franchise, it's a standalone film. Would be the worst choice of IP you could imagine.
So realistically, does anyone have any thoughts as to what the theme might actually be?

I'm not disappointed SW8 isn't going into the woodlands. In fact I'm glad it isn't! It certainly would of meant the removal of another ride to help with the planning application *Cough* Spinball Whizzer *Cough* and would of generated a lot noise in a relatively quite area of the park (eg the gardens).
:D
I take it you will be voting green, when you're old enough. I like a bit of nature and heritage myself but that was an area inside a theme park that was already being used beforehand. No need to over-do the tree hugging. In my opinion.

Reactions: Ted
For the flume's site I always wanted to see a watercoaster type ride, something a long the lines of Jouney To Atlantis but a bit smaller and pirate themed.

Just please, please (PLEASE), don't let this be Wicker Man themed. That would be awful, and an instant flop for the park. Reason being:
  • The original film is from 1973
  • The 2006 remake was terrible and holds an IMDB score of 3.7
  • There is no known new remake coming out, and if there is that will be a flop too.
  • It has zero appeal for families!
  • It's not a franchise, it's a standalone film. Would be the worst choice of IP you could imagine.
So realistically, does anyone have any thoughts as to what the theme might actually be?

Wickerman burning is a long line of folklore tales and Druids being Druids, not just a film ;)

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.