• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

2018: Wicker Man - General Discussion - SPOILERS! - Part One

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
Anyway, Theme Park Worldwide are on park today and it looks like this could be the large foundation for the theming object:

18056934_1880956218596998_8900135973414123200_n.jpg

Seems to include some pipework!

:)

So...... that structure is most definitely a human-like figure.

Whatever the theme is, Wicker Man or something else, it's nothing good and doesn't tie in with any of the areas it's a part of.

Shoot me now. :(

Also, that "viewing area" in the middle of the ride is not a viewing area. If you look closely it follows on from the main entrance, I suspect this will be part of the extended queueline which simply doublebacks on itself. Notice the width of the path is exactly double that of the normal queueline.

So...... that structure is most definitely a human-like figure.

Whatever the theme is, Wicker Man or something else, it's nothing good and doesn't tie in with any of the areas it's a part of.

Shoot me now. :(
Like I've said all along, the theme of this ride is set to ruin both areas. Looks like I'm right. It's very unlikely that's anything other than a Wickerman

The potential theme is what annoys me most about SW8. It is clearly a family coaster and it will probably be a good family coaster. So there should also be a family theme and what would have been wrong with a pirates adventure theme, maybe with some ghosts/mysterious happenings thrown it but nothing too sinister? It would have fitted in with Mutiny Bay and made a refreshing change from the "every major coaster investment must have a dark theme" attitude that Merlin seeminly love to take.

There's a big IP waiting to happen at a major UK theme park - Scooby Doo Land.

Or better yet, scrap all this "land" nonsense and just build a single ride. Duel retheme?

...and I'm just sayin'

"Scooby Doo's House of Spooks" - New dark ride for 2020. Hell yes I would ride that if it was done well.

Even "Gloomy Wood" sounds like something from a Scooby cartoon.

Dear Alton Towers:
628b747f8ccdfb757062f36a27eedecfc2295f515c0586e05fbfb0620c0571a2.jpg

The Scooby Doo interactive dark ride has been done before though by the Paramount parks... Can't have a Worlds First USP so won't get past initial stages...

The Scooby Doo interactive dark ride has been done before though by the Paramount parks... Can't have a Worlds First USP so won't get past initial stages...

But I don't want interactive. That sucks.

A nice themed adventure ride with lots of clever illusions will do just fine.

SW8 News everyone!
178950.jpg

178950-zoom.png

Pictures from TowersTimes Forum.

So Towers released this in the planning application.

I've noticed there's only 1 theming structure this time opposed to 3 theming structures in previous planning applications. They did the same with The Smiler and Galactica though so maybe they were looking at possible sites for the wickerman to go. Like how Galactica's portal was going to be around the chain lift. And I hope that grey isn't concrete like the site is now... EDIT: The grey is grass!

EDIT: Anyone seen the horns on The Wicker Man? Could they be Flame Throwers? Oh and there seems to be a shed for the rumoured launch on the LSM lift.

Does the plan give any idea as to how tall this will be or an idea of the scale?

SW8 being themed differently to Mutiny Bay would hardly be a crisis. Firstly, the ride area is hidden slightly from the rest of Mutiny Bay so it wouldn't be too intrusive, and then let's not forget the ride it's replacing was themed around bath time - not exactly very piratey. Air/Galactica has never worked in FV, but it doesn't detract hugely.

Also, why are we so quick to think a potential piece of theming (that we don't even know anything about) is going to be hideous? Surely some benefit of the doubt is needed.

Merlin never bothered theming The Flume to Mutiny Bay so we had a bathtub themed ride in a pirate area. :rolleyes:
Merlin have a racing themed ride in a forest area of the park. :rolleyes:
Merlin built a train station in a jungle area.:rolleyes:

I doubt SW8 will fit in with whatever area it's in. I don't care as long as theming standard isn't dropped. SW8 looks to be one of the best themed rides at Towers. Battle Galleons is one of the best themed rides at Towers in the same area. So as long as the theming level is consistent, I don't care. And I'm sure most people who ride won't either...

Reactions: pj
The ride entrance is in Mutiny Bay, the exit and shop is in Mutiny Bay, so for all intents and purposes SW8 is in Mutiny Bay! It just so happened that the Mutiny Bay box on this year's map was full so they decided to pop it in Gloomy Wood.

Yes but of course this being Merlin it would probably (highly likely even) have a random theme (Wickerman) even if it is clearly in Mutiny Bay.

As long as it is marketable, they don't care.

We should expect another Rita/Smiler/Galactica/Spinball style theme clash.

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.