• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

2018: Wicker Man - General Discussion - SPOILERS! - Part One

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
I was on park yesterday, the bents coming out of the scaffolding covered structure continued to go up very quick within the few hours that we were there.

I could see workmen working just on top of the scaffolding covered structure, I don't know what they were doing, but they were generating some heat on there as smoke could be seen coming from out of the top as they were working on it. They are certainly hiding some secret behind that scaffolding, the build has certainly got me excited.

It is really taking shape and looking awesome

I could see workmen working just on top of the scaffolding covered structure, I don't know what they were doing, but they were generating some heat on there as smoke could be seen coming from out of the top as they were working on it.

I am wondering if the sheeting is a welding shield.

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

I am wondering if the sheeting is a welding shield.

Probably as in the pic posted last week where you could see those fins, there was a workman there with what looked like a welder's mask on (but flipped up). And welding would explain the smoke too.

Universal Rocks could also be working in the workshops backstage, they don't necessarily need to be on the SW8 site.

They were on the SW8 site, here is a photo we took on Saturday with several Universal Rocks team members underneath the main theming structure.

sam_1085.jpg

sam_1079.jpg

sam_1074.jpg

Last edited:
The more I see of this coaster, the better I think it looks. Hoping for some airtime, but think this may be slightly north of family thrill, towards thrill.

I think Mackpool may have more of a fight on their hands than first appeared.

TV screens have indeed been installed in the new holes in the fence as well. Yesterday they were only displaying the SW8 logo from the fence and nothing else.

The Skyride was also shut for the entire day yesterday, much to our annoyance. Could this have anything to with works in site?

Also saw the smoke that @RoyJess alluded to.

The Skyride was also shut for the entire day yesterday, much to our annoyance. Could this have anything to with works in site?

If they are using a crane in close proximity to where the Skyride passes over then I would imagine that is the reason yes.

:)

TV screens have indeed been installed in the new holes in the fence as well. Yesterday they were only displaying the SW8 logo from the fence and nothing else.

Also saw the smoke that @RoyJess alluded to.

It was due to them erecting the bents near the path and skyride. They didn't want anyone near the area for health and safety reasons.

Last edited:
I have a feeling there is planned slack for this build.
Looking at build times for other wood coasters of the same length it should be way before 2018 opening. I feel they are cracking on now ready for a bad weather block in the December / January time.
The fact they are vague about an opening date show they being weary about possible delays in construction work. If we have a good winter, i can see it running trains ( if only test ones) in feb

From what I've heard, they're apparently wanting to get the main build finished by the end of the season, or as close to it as possible. With the rate at which they're going, I think they may well manage that. They've clearly learned their lessons from the fiasco that was The Smiler's construction process. At this time in 2012, the steelwork hadn't even arrived on site, whereas the coaster frame is going up at a pretty rapid rate. Course, the construction of a woodie does have more parts anyway, but the rate of progress is still very encouraging. :)

They aim to have the main station building completed externally in September I think. That way they can open the old pathways ready for Scarefest. I have no idea if they have factored in time to carry out extensive weeding of these pathways seeing as they thought it was just a good idea to leave them neglected whilst closed!

:)

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.