• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

2018: Wicker Man - General Discussion - SPOILERS! - Part One

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.

ThemeParkCrafter

TS Member
Favourite Ride
Th13teen
More sw8 stuff is online

Team Edit:

Now that the full plans for SW8 are online this new thread in the Planning Portal is for all your SW8 discussion!

The plans can be seen on the SMDC website.

A summary of the plans can be read on TowersStreet News.

As stated in the plans, SW8 is due to open at the start of the 2018 season and will be a wooden coaster built by GCI, the manufacturer responsible for the likes of Wodan and Troy. The coaster will be on the site of the forum Flume ride (which will be demolished as part of the development) but not use any of the wooded area that The Flume previously did.

:)

Last edited by a moderator:
I've had a look at the Noise and Impact Assessment, and the three coasters used for reference sound measurement data under point 1.3 are all GCIs. So on that basis, I think it'd seem logical to conclude that SW8 will be a GCI woodie! :)

Can anyone provide a link to the documents please? Assuming it's a GCI then I'm getting very excited! :D

13301338_10154223354058185_2657947886061994796_o.png

I like the look of it, especially if it's being used as a taster for a much bigger wooden coaster in a few years time. The only thing I have a problem with is that there isn't any (from what I can see anyway) significantly big drops? Would've liked a few of those to get some good air time

"The rollercoaster structure, sound tunnels and screens will be made of dark stained timber elements, predominantly made of southern yellow pine. The associated rails will be made of a combination of timber and steel."

Here's a quote from the Design and Access Statement.

"With respect to the buildings, the accompanying drawings (prepared by Smytheman Architects) show the maximum size and bulk of the buildings and materials proposed. In summary, the upper section of the buildings will be made of horizontal dark timber boarding with aged and weathered effect, and the lower section of the buildings will be clad in a combination of grass and earth effect and / or sandstone effect. The roof will be made of artificial thatch and distressed profiled metal sheeting."

It also seems from this (from the same Design & Access Statement) that the ride will be themed more to Katanga Canyon than Mutiny Bay? Still I imagine this design would fit for both but would make sense for the rides close vicinity to the rapids.

Some interesting points from the noise assessment.

http://publicaccess.staffsmoorlands.gov.uk/portal/servlets/AttachmentShowServlet?ImageName=160190

-Reference sound measurement data has been provided by the ride manufacturer, which was taken from similar rollercoaster constructions located in the USA. These are the Kentucky Rumbler at Beech Bend Park in Kentucky, the Wildcat located at Hershey’s Park, Pennsylvania and the Ozark Wildcat, located at Celebration City. Other related reference data has also been used

-The roller coaster structure will be formed from timber elements, predominately made up of Southern Yellow Pine. The rails will be formed from a combination of timber and steel. The build-up will comprise six timber strips fixed on top of one another, with a solid steel rail guider fixed on the top of the strips. The coaster will have steel wheels that will be guided by the steel and timber construction.

- The coaster will have a ‘silent’ magnetic lift system that will guide the coaster to the first and highest drop. This will ensure that lift mechanism noise as the carriage travels to its highest elevation point will not be a concern.

- Low noise magnetic brake systems will also be utilised to minimise the effects of noise from the coaster.

- It is understood that construction programme will commence in September 2016 with completion anticipated for December 2017.

Suddenly very excited for this. It's safe to say right now that 2018 is going to be a great year for UK parks, with sw8 and project 2018 at Blackpool (and some of the potential dark rides at legoland could be 'interesting' ;)). Regardless of whether or not this coaster itself is good, hopefully it will give the GP a new perspective on woodies. Its looking like it will be a family coaster, but it could still be fun; Th13teen is a family ride but I still think it's better than rita.

I'm quite uneducated when it comes to manufacturers, anything notable from GCI in the past? How are they rated in comparison to others?

I'm quite uneducated when it comes to manufacturers, anything notable from GCI in the past? How are they rated in comparison to others?

Wodan, Troy, Joris are examples of what they've built in Europe and they're all very highly rated, especially the first two.

Well, there's Joris, Wodan and Troy in our local European area for a start.....
EDIT: damn, ninja'd!

Can anyone find a couple of similar sized and laid out rides by the same company and provide youtube vids? It would be nice to have a 'general' idea of what this 'could' be like. I know a couple are mentioned above, but I'm not sure how similarly sized they are to what is proposed at Towers. Cheery thanks :)

Just a note about that lift hill, anyone reckoning a little launch up with the magnetic system it's got in place? Would be a much needed feature if it was to get any speed

Can anyone find a couple of similar sized and laid out rides by the same company and provide youtube vids? It would be nice to have a 'general' idea of what this 'could' be like. I know a couple are mentioned above, but I'm not sure how similarly sized they are to what is proposed at Towers. Cheery thanks :)

What they mentioned in the documents

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.