• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Wicker Man - General Discussion - Part Two

I sincerely hope that all the goons in attendance over the weekend are understanding should the situation be that the rides are closed and don't kick off in a ridiculous fashion...

I think people are understanding about the situation with the weather. After all, Alton Towers can’t control the weather!

But I think there is a legit grievance with how late they’ve left it to announce this. Thorpe Park has been saying for the last few days about the weather conditions affecting their opening*. And less than two hours ago, Towers’ social media team were telling people everything was still going to open as planned.

The issue is that there are people who have already travelled - based on Towers’ advice, but also because they don’t want to potentially lose a hotel booking for not turning up. With better communication, this could’ve been avoided. So I think they’re not entirely faultless here.

If we’re taking non-hotel guests, though, they have less of a leg to stand on. But I think we can all agree that’s a different matter.

*I’ve had to use Thorpe Park as an example of good customer service. I should never have to do that.

I was going to travel up tomorrow but as Thorpe said they was going to close and the weather by towers is ment to be worse I cancelled it. I think they should have posted the information quicker if I'm honest that way people can make a better informed decision. But they've just hung on to hope that the weather will be fine and didn't want to risk losing revenue. That's the way I see it anyway

I think people are understanding about the situation with the weather. After all, Alton Towers can’t control the weather!

But I think there is a legit grievance with how late they’ve left it to announce this. Thorpe Park has been saying for the last few days about the weather conditions affecting their opening*. And less than two hours ago, Towers’ social media team were telling people everything was still going to open as planned.

The issue is that there are people who have already travelled - based on Towers’ advice, but also because they don’t want to potentially lose a hotel booking for not turning up. With better communication, this could’ve been avoided. So I think they’re not entirely faultless here.

If we’re taking non-hotel guests, though, they have less of a leg to stand on. But I think we can all agree that’s a different matter.

*I’ve had to use Thorpe Park as an example of good customer service. I should never have to do that.
Have to agree with you, the statement about park being open but rides not operating could of and should of been posted yesterday.

It would of given people notice and then left it up to individuals to decide is it worth the gamble that things might open.

To be fair though, we have all been waiting until pretty much today to see the latest forecasts. I do have some sympathy with the people who are making these decisions at Towers today. Not an easy call at all. Potentially they could have been informing guests this morning that they were monitoring the weather as to whether they would be opening rides tomorrow. I do agree with your point there. Awful luck. They get a new ride ready to go in good time, a great looking one at that, and now the bloody English weather strikes again.

I obviously understand the circumstances but it's quite funny how everybody was saying how Merlin learned from their mistakes with wicker man, and now what. Most likely a closer attraction on opening day.

I think the other difference between this weekend and the services day getting cancelled a few weeks back is the amount of snow. A few weeks ago there was a couple of days of snow and it made roads difficult so getting to the park was hard. Tomorrow it isn't going to be much snow and for one evening only, but the cold temperatures and winds will stop the rides running. One closure was about access to the area whereas the other is actually getting rides operational.

But from the weather forecasts they would have known the rides wouldn' be able to operate days ago. Hell people on here have been talking about it for days. They should have released a statement saying that while looking at the forecast they will do there best to open fully with rides working. But no they say to the very last second that they will open as normal and everything is going to be running. I can understand why people might be annoyed. And again it all comes down to not wanting to lose revenue

Just to note - the header image on the Alton Towers Site of Wickerman has changed. It previously stated "Opening Saturday" Now there is not mention of an opening date.

Yes, though there are still other areas of the site that says it's still opening on Saturday, though they may just not have been changed yet.

I understand other areas are open but I wouldn' be visiting Alton for the other areas lol that's just a sell out. It' them saying ok the main reason you are all visiting won' be open but if you bring your children then at least they will have something to do

Basically, the grand Saturday morning weekend spectacle of large crowds flocking to the new ride, fanfare etc, is dead.

I really feel sorry for Towers, the one time there's a Secret Weapon, completely finished, more than ready to open and mother natures comes in with a NOPE, NOT THIS TIME.

They have left it too late to announce this though when the weather warnings have been out a few days now.

Some kind of pre-emptive warning would have been fine. If they put out on Wednesday/Thursday 'due to the current weather warnings this weekend, this may affect ride availability, we are continuously monitoring the situation and will provide updates Friday evening. Please keep an eye on the website and social media for further updates' - or something to that effect. At least that kind of gives people the idea that everything may not open, with a few days notice.

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

Ergggggggguuuuuuuuuhhhhhhhhhh....

I waited 2 years for this, Just for the ride to get delayed...

Everything was on schedule, Just for everything to fall apart last minute. And Donald Trump says Global Warming doesn't exist.

I feel sorry for Towers. :(

I'm sure we'll find out more later with tonight being the press event. Pretty certain questions will be asked that will have to be answered. Personally, I'm going to get up early, check the forecast and make a decision based on that.

Remember guys. They said "unlikely". It might still open tomorrow!