2019: Stargazing Pods

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Matt N, 7th Nov 2017.

1. Matt N

Matt N TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Mako (SeaWorld Orlando)
    Team Edit (04/03/2018):

Alton Towers have submitted a planning application for '102 accommodation pods, shower and toilet facility buildings, reception building, tipis and associated support buildings, hard and soft landscaping and parking and drainage works'.

This will be located next to the Enchanted Village and replaced the existing phase 2 development that was granted planning permission in 2016.

Please continue with discussion in this thread!

--------------------------------------------------------

Hi everyone. I've made this topic because in the controversial Merlin trade report where they announced a £100m reduction in CAPEX spending, they outlined all of the accommodation they would be building in the future (up to 2021 I believe) and one of the accommodation options outlined was named Alton Towers Barrels. Now I'm not sure if we've seen any sort of planning application for barrel-style accommodation, so this could be a new discovery. Of course, if I'm being thick and this is a codename for the EV expansion or something else that's already been announced, then a mod can feel free to lock this topic. But assuming that these barrels are another thing entirely, then I'm thinking that these could be similar to the barrel accommodation announced for LLW; a themed glamping pod-style affair with separate washrooms spread around the site. Another question I thought of is where are these going to go? The only place I can think of is the North car park where EV was originally going to go. So, what do you guys think?

Last edited by a moderator: 7th Mar 2018
    Posted 7th Nov 2017
  2. jon81uk

jon81uk TowersStreet Member

The original enchanted village plans had barrels, hobbit holes and lodges. Then they cost cut and we only got the lodges which were cheaper to build.

skyscraper likes this.
    Posted 8th Nov 2017
  3. Funcone

Funcone TowersStreet Member

I remember the Hobbit Holes. The original slogan was, 'come and live in Merlin's hole'.

Trooper, Ciaran, Ben James and 6 others like this.
    Posted 8th Nov 2017
  4. Plastic Person

Plastic Person TowersStreet Member

I imagine these will be part of an extension to the existing Enchanted Village.

Posted 8th Nov 2017
  5. Rick

Rick TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Crux
    Posted 8th Nov 2017
  6. jon81uk

jon81uk TowersStreet Member

Okay, they are just caravans really. Not anything at all like the old enchanted village plans (https://towersstreet.com/history/concepts/lodge-development-2014/). Caravan style barrel huts could work but would only feel nice when its warm outside and would really need to be priced cheap, Thorpe seems to get a lot of criticism for their tiny Shark rooms.
    Also AT would need to make sure they have restaurant and bar provision right, as people aren't going to be able to relax inside their rooms.

Posted 8th Nov 2017
  7. PeteB

PeteB TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Nemesis
    Truly aweful.

Who actually wants this kind of cramped accomodation?

Exactly what I was thinking.

Posted 8th Nov 2017
  8. Bert2theSpark

Bert2theSpark TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Octonauts
    So are the barrels some sort of budget style accomdation then?

Posted 8th Nov 2017
  9. DiogoJ42

DiogoJ42 TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    The Metropolitan Line
    Budget to build, maybe...

Matt N, D4n, PeteB and 4 others like this.
    Posted 8th Nov 2017
  10. Rick

Rick TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Crux
    I think these are a good camping alternative, they're not really any different than a glamping pod really. That's what they're aimed at.

In terms of temperature, their small size means they're actually pretty cosy. Can be kind of romantic too. I think they'd be a hit, depending on how they were priced.

NemeTime, Matt N, MakoMania and 3 others like this.
    Posted 8th Nov 2017
  11. ringo

ringo TowersStreet Member

I’d take the barrel over the last lodge we stayed at. The room had dirt round the edges and the pullout bedding was dirty as if it hadn’t been changed as no one had booked to stay on it but because it’s practically on the floor when they sweep the floor it flings dirt on that bed.

The lodges could of also done with a second window you could open so fresh air can blow through at night.

Posted 8th Nov 2017
  12. Funcone

Funcone TowersStreet Member

So these barrels are a bit like living in a giant smarties tube?

Posted 8th Nov 2017
  13. Rick

Rick TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Crux
    If staying in a tent is like sleeping under a waterproof bed sheet held up by bendy broom handles, then yes.

Matt N and Funcone like this.
    Posted 8th Nov 2017
  14. AstroDan

AstroDan TS Forum Team Team Member

Favourite Ride:
    Steel Vengeance, Cedar Point
    The very discussion of these is an absurdity given they cannot afford to operate or refurbish Splash Landings.

However, if there is any developend of the Enchanted Village, the Crooked Spoon desperately needs a *genuine" pub area, open till late. The refectory/canteen style of the existing place is so basic.

Kelpie, PeteB, Matt.GC and 2 others like this.
    Posted 8th Nov 2017
  15. Jordan

Jordan TS Contributor

Unfortunately, for those staying in barrels, the new ‘fish shooting’ activity will be an upcharge attraction.

Rick and IanSR like this.
    Posted 8th Nov 2017
  16. Matt.GC

Matt.GC TowersStreet Member

Enchanted village extension, when the current one looks like it hasn't even been finished, Splash is closed for the majority of the year and the park they're attached to can't afford to operate all of its attractions or keep the gates open past 4PM. A truly astonishing situation to be in and I would LOVE to have been a fly on the wall when the business case along with the financial and market projections were put forward for this.

Posted 9th Nov 2017
  17. PeteB

PeteB TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Nemesis
    Woah! Now hang on a minute... Their hotel offering may not be the best ever but frankly your views are so unbelievably sledgehammer. :p

Posted 9th Nov 2017
  18. Vicster

Vicster TowersStreet Member

The cramped shark accommodation has worked well for merlin at Thorpe. Not my cup of tea but it’s someones!

Rick likes this.
    Posted 9th Nov 2017
  19. The theme park geek

The theme park geek TowersStreet Member

Expanding the Enchanted village is something that I think should be done as it will improve the way the whole development looks. Maybe they could add some more things for people to do when they stay at the resort accommodation in the evening. I think there’s definitely a big market for them doing stuff in the enchanted village at Christmas .
    I completely understand why they scale back the accommodation in the closed season.
    I feel like a good chunk of that investment money should go towards accommodation at Thorpe as it’s really lacking there. Merlin need to invest a lot more money in infrastructure and remodelling at Thorpe especially of the car parks and entrance.

skyscraper likes this.
    Posted 9th Nov 2017
  20. AltonBuzz

AltonBuzz TowersStreet Member

There are plans in place to expand the Enchanted Village between 2019-21, with work starting next year. However, these lodges are based on a similar template to the existing lodges. I think these "barrels" must be something different.

One possible site I've noticed is the north side of the EV car park. The EV car park is due to be re-landscaped and split in two with a grass verge, so I'm wondering if this is a potential site?
    Existing car park
    Proposed car park

Posted 9th Nov 2017