• ā„¹ļø Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

[2024] Europa-Park General Discussion

*O'Mackays upstairs bar
Let's open a discussion on this, because I'm genuinely curious. How and why is it revered so much? I appreciate the beer selection (for those that way inclined) may be one of the better ones on park, but I've always felt that there's a dark, dingy atmosphere in there and it feels so tucked away from the rest of the park. Unlike other bars and restaurants which are generally more open and/or have windows you can see out of properly. I just find it depressing, even the downstairs part, and every time I go in there I find myself resenting every moment of it and wanting to leave.

I will say though that the drink selection is decent (if you want a fruity cider for your sins, it's the only place you'll get one) and the Shepherd's Pie is great, but I'd much much rather be sat in the outside area where there's at least a bit of atmosphere.

Sorry not sorry. xx

Staffing issues are still extremely prevalent for the resort. A recent news piece described how 150 spots are still empty. A number that will only increase coming into the holiday months. Even before corona staff from the region wasn't enough to cover their needs, and following losing so many more to other industries during lockdowns, this gap has dramatically widened. Therefore efforts are being made to extend their searches more into Eastern Europe.

Reactions: Rob
Let's open a discussion on this, because I'm genuinely curious. How and why is it revered so much? I appreciate the beer selection (for those that way inclined) may be one of the better ones on park, but I've always felt that there's a dark, dingy atmosphere in there and it feels so tucked away from the rest of the park. Unlike other bars and restaurants which are generally more open and/or have windows you can see out of properly. I just find it depressing, even the downstairs part, and every time I go in there I find myself resenting every moment of it and wanting to leave.

I will say though that the drink selection is decent (if you want a fruity cider for your sins, it's the only place you'll get one) and the Shepherd's Pie is great, but I'd much much rather be sat in the outside area where there's at least a bit of atmosphere.

Sorry not sorry. xx
And here is the last post @Burbs made on TowersStreet before he was BANNED! ;)

Staffing issues are still extremely prevalent for the resort. A recent news piece described how 150 spots are still empty. A number that will only increase coming into the holiday months. Even before corona staff from the region wasn't enough to cover their needs, and following losing so many more to other industries during lockdowns, this gap has dramatically widened. Therefore efforts are being made to extend their searches more into Eastern Europe.

That is interesting and not suprising. I guess some roles can be easily filled with relatively cheap labour from Eastern Europe, but other roles require more skills that may be harder to attract to the resort. Even in the bars for example, it is not like Alton Towers, Europa-Park will not allow any 18 year old and their dog start working behind a hotel bar. There is such a vast range of drinks and cocktails that you really need bar staff who know their craft. That looks to be much easier said than done when you see the apparent bar availabiltiy at present.

Sorry not sorry. xx
You've covered some of my reasoning already. Love the beers, and when the place is fully open I find it quite fun, especially when the live music is on too. Yes the place is dark, but that comes with the theming but I don't find it dingy.

Aside from that though, it's sentimental reasons too. I've had a many a good laugh in there over the years, so that's far and away the top reason for me!

I get the point about it feeling dark, but I suppose that cosy-type feel comes with the theme. Along with the positives others have mentioned, I think that cosy and relaxed feeling is not something you can get in too many of the parkā€™s bars. The sofas and wingbacks are a great place to relax.

On the subject of drinking; is it true that providing tap water in establishments isnā€™t really a thing in Germany?

I only ask as Iā€™d heard that tap water isnā€™t really a thing in Germany. I mostly drink water these days, and I was wondering whether Iā€™d be able to get a glass of tap water in Germany/Europa like I would be able to in any UK establishment, or whether it would be worth me taking a refillable water bottle and filling it up in the room before I go into the park for the day.

Donā€™t get me wrong, I do drink things that arenā€™t water, but water now makes up the majority of what I drink on a daily basis.

No, you won't get tap water. If you ask for water at the table in one of the hotel restaurants you could be charged up to ā‚¬7 for a glass bottle. On park it's ā‚¬3+ for a plastic bottle. You're better off getting an alcoholic beverage or soft drink for the price.

You're best off going to Lidl or Edeka and picking up a multipack to carry around with you on park.

Last edited:
I would say, if dining at the hotels and you genuinely do want water - just suck it up and get a glass bottle of Vio. Making sure you ask for still water as otherwise you'll get fizzy Appolinaris by default.

On park, though - either take your own and refill or buy one at the start of your trip and reuse.

You may get a bottle or two in your hotel room.

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

I always take some of the Robinsons Squash'd with me for some added flavour. Easy to carry with you for a refill.

On the subject of drinking; is it true that providing tap water in establishments isnā€™t really a thing in Germany?

I only ask as Iā€™d heard that tap water isnā€™t really a thing in Germany. I mostly drink water these days, and I was wondering whether Iā€™d be able to get a glass of tap water in Germany/Europa like I would be able to in any UK establishment, or whether it would be worth me taking a refillable water bottle and filling it up in the room before I go into the park for the day.

Donā€™t get me wrong, I do drink things that arenā€™t water, but water now makes up the majority of what I drink on a daily basis.

Europa-Park have these amazing things called ā€œcocktailsā€ Much better than water šŸ˜Š

Alcoholic drinks aren't on my radar, to be honest; I'm teetotal and have little desire to change that any time soon.

If I drink anything that isn't water from any of EP's bars or restaurants, it'll probably be a Diet Coke/Pepsi/whatever EP sells. I'm not terribly adventurous with drink, even more so than with food.

I'm not terribly adventurous with drink, even more so than with food.
You're going to EP. It's time to change that! The cocktails there are stunning and a big part of what I look forward to on a trip to Europa these days. I'm sure others will back me up on this.

Anyway, I'm sure a stranger on the internet isn't going to sway your opinion, but if you aren't going to have any, at least recommend your parents to have some!

Out of interest, does every EP booking see you get sent a fun little personalised greeting video by the park a few days prior?

My mum got sent one today containing video of staff "readying the park for our visit", and even Roland Mack himself gave us a smile and wave! It was quite a fun little video, and I thought it was a nice touch!

Out of interest, does every EP booking see you get sent a fun little personalised greeting video by the park a few days prior?

My mum got sent one today containing video of staff "readying the park for our visit", and even Roland Mack himself gave us a smile and wave! It was quite a fun little video, and I thought it was a nice touch!
Yep, that's standard!