• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

[2024] Europa-Park General Discussion

Is there any sign of the water playground in Iceland, Litill Island, reopening? It looked like it was starting to be rebuilt a month or so ago, but I haven’t heard much since and it’s still shown as closed.
They are still working on this, yesterday I saw piles of planks that are still to be installed. My guess is that they’ll open it for the summer.

In what seems like the now perpetual price increases for the resort, cocktail prices have increased again, for example the Long Island Ice Tea in the hotel bars has risen another €1, to €15.

The burger in Spirit of St Louis is now an eye watering €26.50.

In what seems like the now perpetual price increases for the resort, cocktail prices have increased again, for example the Long Island Ice Tea in the hotel bars has risen another €1, to €15.

The burger in Spirit of St Louis is now an eye watering €26.50.

I was there last week, and Long Island's in Spirit were €14 last week, with the American Style €15. Similarly, in Colosseo the Long Island was €14 with the "Big Bang Boom" version €15. Zombie's in Colosseo were €11.30.

To be honest, back in 2008 prices were comparably higher. I remember paying €9.80 for a Zombie back then - it was €10.90 last week.

The cocktails I see as pretty good value. Try getting a cocktail that strong and well-crafted without being 90% ice for less than £10 in the UK. I do think that food has gone up quite significantly of late though - the club sandwich in Spirit is around €25, last time I had it a couple of years ago it was €18.50. Similarly, a lower-end steak, chips and sauce in Captain’s Finest is now over €40. It’s not long ago it wasn’t much over €30.

It certainly makes eating off-site a more attractive prospect these days, now there are plenty of decent options such as The Grill, China Restaurant Aroma, Hardy’s, Gasthaus zum Ochsen, The Chicken, etc.

Keeping up tradition, here’s some thoughts from our recent visit: -

- Return of the Sultan is feeling rather stale nowadays. I think it’s now the resort’s longest running show and it feels clunky and worn (missing props and elements - even the camel has disappeared). Please bring back the jousting.

- The planting continues to be beguiling. We had chance to take a look around the outside areas of Rulantica in summer for the first time in a few years and even it is looking cracking.

- Some of the food quality at Schloss Balthasar seems to have deteriorated. It’s not terrible, but for the price, using stuff like frozen veg is not okay.

- Closing times continue to be illogical. We saw 6:30 closes on days which were about as busy as 7:30 closes (c.45 min queues for the major coasters).

- A perennial complaint of my mine is the inconsistent, often inaudible audio across the park. It beggars belief that a resort of Europa’s calibre doesn’t seem to be able to sort consistent audio for their various areas. It seems like such a relatively easy fix for such a big pay off.

- Audio problems don’t stop there though because the shows seem to have gotten even quieter, following a trend over the last few years. This time we could clearly hear footsteps in the magic show and the parade music in Luxembourg Square (where if anything you’d expect it to be louder) was really quiet for the party vibe they’re trying to engender.

- Audio on-ride on Can Can seemed to work every time after numerous glitches we’ve experienced over the last year, albeit there was still inconsistency in speaker volume. The audio on Pirates however appeared to be suffering from some volume/mixing problems and was a bit of a mess, rather than its usual beautiful orchestration.

- The Helles beer seems to have spread further across the resort and is now very widely available. A positive step.

- We had a couple of occasions where we needed to rely on guest relations to organise some things for us and they were exemplary. In fact we probably encountered more friendly staff than ever this trip.

- I’d worried about the window from Spain to Austria before the attractions opened. Unfortunately with the rides now operating I haven’t changed my mind. The new patio and structures in Spain are beautiful, but the break in thematic consistency and immersion that were once offered in this area, and which could be even better with the new patio area, are ruined by the direct view of grey rock, log flume boats trundling along and the mine train flying past regularly. Please separate the areas again Europa - just because you can do something, doesn’t mean you should and this scream of an ill advised “more is more” approach.

- A development on that Spanish patio is the arrival of mobile ordering to your table. It was a little slow, but more of this would be greatly welcomed.

- I was a little unsure whether the Rulantica preview centre had closed along with the revolving theatre. It hasn’t.

- Blue Fire’s baby switch line has now been combined with the virtual line queue. A sensible move.

- Parts of Croatia are beautifully delivered. The paving is immaculate, as too the walkways around the ride. The planting is beautiful and I’m glad to see the Dream Dome was retained. The museum area however feels quite odd. There’s not really much context provided, the large screen on the front of the building doesn’t fit in and many of the exhibits were broken when we visited.

- Whilst those areas which have been completed are successful, the overall area does feel unfinished (probably because it is). I’m intrigued to see what comes next because the large open plaza in front of Voltron feels quite different for Europa, where most areas have a more intimate feel.

- The new animatronic has had mixed reviews, but I was pretty impressed by its lifelike quality. Definitely another step in developing in-house capacity for animatronics.

- The live music in Rock Cafe included a cabaret singer, which was pretty disappointing. Jan Gregersen was at O’Mackays again, and whilst the duo are good, it would be nice to see more variety.

- The low level mist at the start of Arthur has finally returned!

I say it every time, but it was yet another great week at the world’s best theme park. I’m excited to see how Croatia expands, the refreshed Gheisterschloss and the new gameplay theatre.

Last edited: