• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

[2024] Nemesis Reborn: Construction and Speculation

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
The limb of the station next to the vertical loop bridge is now completely black. From memory that was the worst in terms of cracks and splits in the fibreglass, which could explain that one requiring a little more work. The other two on that side of the station have been/are being given the same grey coating as the 'spine'.

Opera Snapshot_2023-08-11_210028_www.youtube.com.png

I hope Project Horizon's marketing is on this level, although as it is out of sight from the main areas of the park, sadly I think it will be fairly minimal marketing until a couple of months before opening, or maybe a bit of teasing the scarefest before opening.
I'm sure we will see some aerial footage of the construction, from drones and planes flying overhead though, like with the smiler.
The campaign around Nemesis was kind of forced by the construction site being so unavoidably visible to the public. You can see it from the monorail plus they wanted to keep Galactica open so guests have had to walk by the construction site every day. At least having the marketing campaign explained the ride closure/demolition a bit for the general public (especially during the phase when most of the track was removed) and helped prevent rumours that Alton Towers was removing yet another ride without replacing it with anything. They probably figured that the marketing costs were worth it to try and build a bit of hype and recoup some of the costs around rebuilding what is essentially still going to be a 30 year old ride design.

For Project Horizon I can definitely see them playing the secrecy angle until the closed season a few months before it opens. Probably something like Curse at Alton Manor or Th13rteen levels of marketing (except they will actually set correct expectations for type of ride experience). I imagine that they will want to deter the theme park vloggers from being too close to the site during the major construction work phase as there is going to be a lot more going on (site clearance, groundworks, utilities, heavy equipment, cranes, building a huge steel building etc) whereas the works on Nemesis are smaller and more localised (e.g. they didn't have to dig out the pit again). And besides, the theme park vloggers create free marketing for Alton Towers by speculating on absolutely nothing with clickbait titles (already happening even though no work has started). It is easier to close that part of the park off to access but we will still probably get spoilers well before the marketing campaign starts. There will definitely be drone shots at some point (I remember the good old days when bloggers used to pay for general aviation flights to get aerial shots of The Smiler construction).

Now here's an interesting point from the recent TT event; the Nemesis promotion had to be pushed back due to the Queen's passing, so was actually meant to start earlier than it did!

Last edited:
The campaign around Nemesis was kind of forced by the construction site being so unavoidably visible to the public. You can see it from the monorail plus they wanted to keep Galactica open so guests have had to walk by the construction site every day. At least having the marketing campaign explained the ride closure/demolition a bit for the general public (especially during the phase when most of the track was removed) and helped prevent rumours that Alton Towers was removing yet another ride without replacing it with anything. They probably figured that the marketing costs were worth it to try and build a bit of hype and recoup some of the costs around rebuilding what is essentially still going to be a 30 year old ride design.

For Project Horizon I can definitely see them playing the secrecy angle until the closed season a few months before it opens. Probably something like Curse at Alton Manor or Th13rteen levels of marketing (except they will actually set correct expectations for type of ride experience). I imagine that they will want to deter the theme park vloggers from being too close to the site during the major construction work phase as there is going to be a lot more going on (site clearance, groundworks, utilities, heavy equipment, cranes, building a huge steel building etc) whereas the works on Nemesis are smaller and more localised (e.g. they didn't have to dig out the pit again). And besides, the theme park vloggers create free marketing for Alton Towers by speculating on absolutely nothing with clickbait titles (already happening even though no work has started). It is easier to close that part of the park off to access but we will still probably get spoilers well before the marketing campaign starts. There will definitely be drone shots at some point (I remember the good old days when bloggers used to pay for general aviation flights to get aerial shots of The Smiler construction).
Did people really get private GA flights to get aerial shots of the smiler?

wow, very nice shots, look at how clean and fresh the station looks

I'm not sure if its just the shadows but it looks like they might be putting a darker grey colour over the top of this light grey primer 1691959535811.png
Just the shadows from that angle - for now.

I think that nemesis won't be filled with sand despite what the planning documents said, because the track doesn't have any of those openings like other sand filled B&Ms, so either no sand filled track or its something that will be done after all the track is installed which I doubt.

1691964141772.png

I'm not entirely sure the full thought process had gone into adding several tons of sand into the design. Hopefully the sand filling joins Wicker Man's silent lift hill in the details dropped from plans.
did wickerman have an alternate lift design?

Planning application mentioned possibly using LSMs for the lift hill
No it was magnetic anti-roll backs. . So it wouldn't have click-clack like it does now. . It would have been like Smilers lifts with metal blades popping up after the train passes them.

Coming back to the ariel photos. . What I've noticed is on the loop side of the station both legs and the claw are still there. . What in the asymmetric hell is this!?! 😅

No it was magnetic anti-roll backs. . So it wouldn't have click-clack like it does now. . It would have been like Smilers lifts with metal blades popping up after the train passes them.

Coming back to the ariel photos. . What I've noticed is on the loop side of the station both legs and the claw are still there. . What in the asymmetric hell is this!?! 😅
I suspect they were taken down to allow easier access for plant and machinery around that area of the station. Or maybe they were in such a poor state it was easier to remove them and refurbish them offsite.

Last edited:
I actually didn’t realise they lost all the external theming from ripsaw, just completely fenced behind that flat ride now. Hope they change that when it gets replaced.

You would never think Nemeses was a tin shed if it wasn’t for that angle, very clever work!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.