• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

[2024] Thorpe Park: Hyperia - Mack Hypercoaster

Regarding the slow lift hill, it's a bit like when you first commission a coaster with an LSM launch. You don't start off by having the launch at full speed, rather it's a very slow launch whereby the train will roll back; and then you gradually work your way up to full speed as commissioning progresses.

No doubt we'll see the lift hill on Hyperia running at full speed in the coming days as testing progresses.

As an engineer, these days it isn't as difficult to calculate given the amount of programs available that are pretty accurate to real life scenarios. CAD/CAM is king of design and manufacture.

Some knowledge needed to make the program work, but it's not like Arrow drawing and manufacturing Big One by hand (for example).
Now that you mention it, this does look like a layout designed by AI.

Even if they never intended to build another 3,000 ft of track for the 'second half'......surely a few airtime hills along that back straight leading to the brakes weren't out of budget?

It just seems to hit that brake run with way too much momentum and it's not even at full speed yet. I genuinely don't understand the logic for not doing that. Hypers are meant to be air time machines. That's their basic purpose.

I think this could provide more airtime (or at very least, negative g-forces) than people expect. To me at least, every element looks as though it could provide airtime, hangtime or negative g-forces of some description.

Granted, it doesn’t have many straight airtime hills, but airtime can come in more forms than simply through straight airtime hills nowadays. I reckon some of those manoeuvres could have us flying out of our seats!

Even if they never intended to build another 3,000 ft of track for the 'second half'......surely a few airtime hills along that back straight leading to the brakes weren't out of budget?

It just seems to hit that brake run with way too much momentum and it's not even at full speed yet. I genuinely don't understand the logic for not doing that. Hypers are meant to be air time machines. That's their basic purpose.
I heard a rumour that Hyperia actually is prototype and the break run has a reverse tilt track feature. Half of the course is underground and then returns via a lift track into the maintenance store and is reversed into the station. I'm taking it with a large pinch of salt though.

Yesterday was a lot of fun, after watching this project in the consultation room on day one to the first support going in, top of the lift going in. I had to be there for the first test! Sorry work..

So many videos have been posted so I wont spam them anymore. But here's a few photos from the first test not many people might have seen :)

hyperiafirsttestrun-16.jpg

hyperiafirsttestrun-23.jpg

hyperiafirsttestrun-25.jpg

No going back from here...

hyperiafirsttestrun-32.jpg

hyperiafirsttestrun-34.jpg

hyperiafirsttestrun-37.jpg

hyperiafirsttestrun-39.jpg

My favorite photo :D

hyperiafirsttestrun-41.jpg

It is likely the test yesterday was also slow to check the sensors and also for programming reasons as they hit each sensor.

Eg block programming, lift speed sensors etc , they will all need to be depicted and tested in the code early on in testing

Are these new style Mack trains? I've noticed that these trains have a cross tie across the back of the two seats. Icon doesn't have this but looking at it the Voltron trains have this on the outer seats.

Are these new style Mack trains? I've noticed that these trains have a cross tie across the back of the two seats. Icon doesn't have this but looking at it the Voltron trains have this on the outer seats.
Last week I did a bit of Wiki research on Macks coaster types.. I think they could have an out of the box train for the type of coaster being delivered (launch/Stryker/hyper) as Hyper Coaster Turkey (the last active Mack hyper coaster built) has similar train to Hyperia. Either that or Icon was a newer train?

Which leads me to a question for others.. I'm sure I read Hyperia was originally meant for another park and TP got a bargain when that was abandoned. Was that at design phase or engineering phase? The though crossed my mind is the train a 2018/19 design just been in a shed for x number of years 😂

Which leads me to a question for others.. I'm sure I read Hyperia was originally meant for another park and TP got a bargain when that was abandoned. Was that at design phase or engineering phase? The though crossed my mind is the train a 2018/19 design just been in a shed for x number of years 😂
There were rumblings on the original consultation day back in December 2021 that Thorpe Park had purchased Full Throttle, the Mack Hyper originally designed for Six Flags Dubai or one of the other numerous cancelled Asian Six Flags parks, but these rumblings were later quashed by the revealed layout of Hyperia being totally different to that of the Six Flags ride.

To the best of my knowledge, Hyperia was bespokely designed for Thorpe Park.

If I'm honest I'm not seeing the big deal with the speed through the inversions, that stall looks tremendous at the speed of the 2nd circuit. But then again I'm not one of those Coaster enthusiasts always talking about the forces or how no ride ever has enough airtime etc etc. I just wanna go on a Coaster and have a good time. Even the length or lack thereof doesn't bother me, sure I'd love more, but it's not like I'll think less of the experience.

No, what bothers me is both the utter lack of effort and creativity put into the 'theming' and being caged like an animal as I queue under the coaster - which considering some of the comments about capacity is likely to be a lengthy amount of time.

In terms of speed, a second test is basically the same as a first test. Yes the lift hill may have been at full speed, but everything else is brand new and not run in at all. It will pick up as testing goes on, and as temperatures rise. It could even end up being one of these coasters that rides quite differently at the start of the day compared to the end of the day once it has fully warmed up.

It does look like the outward banked turn is going to kill some speed regardless, but I don't think that's a bad thing as the inversion that follows should give some great hang time!

In terms of speed, a second test is basically the same as a first test. Yes the lift hill may have been at full speed, but everything else is brand new and not run in at all. It will pick up as testing goes on, and as temperatures rise. It could even end up being one of these coasters that rides quite differently at the start of the day compared to the end of the day once it has fully warmed up.

It does look like the outward banked turn is going to kill some speed regardless, but I don't think that's a bad thing as the inversion that follows should give some great hang time!
That may be so but it's not going to go much much faster is it? It loses a lot of momentum between the first and second element.